Utah Limited Entry Elk - 17 pts.

wilydawg

So I find myself going into the draw this year with 17 resident elk pts. I have my own ideas of where I might apply but would be interested in other peoples opinions if they were in my shoes. Here's my criteria:

-Any weapon
-Looking for something hopefully in the 350" range - but an overall quality experience with as near to 100% opportunity at a mature bull as possible but maybe a little smaller than that is more important than a lesser chance of opportunity just to gain a few inches of antler size
-Will have somewhat limited time to scout - meaning I could get out some but due to work schedule can't get out on never ending scouting trips
-Open to public, CWMU, or private, and would even be willing to pay (but not big $) to access good private land

With all that said, at this point I'm so invested and basically view the spending of my points as my "once in a lifetime" quality elk hunt in my home state I'm not interested in "squandering" them on a lesser hunt just because it's a sure draw. Point creep notwithstanding, I'd rather try for something of high quality and not draw this year and then try again next year than to do this. I've waited this long, what's another year or two right - ha ha?

Thanks in advance for any input guys! Look forward to any and all responses!

wily

So you want a unit that you can draw with 17 points that you are almost assured to kill a 350 bull with very little scouting time? That shouldn't be too tough! :)

I too have 17 points. I'm afraid neither of us are at all very close to a unit that consistently produces 350 inch bulls that you won't have to scout your rear end off to make happen....unless you just get dang lucky.

If the Manti, Wasatch, etc in that second tier don't fit your criteria, then your only option is a late hunt. I would not do the late hunt on the San Juan from what I've been told.

You're in a tough spot made tougher with your desire for and "easier" 350" bull.

350" bulls are not a "dime a dozen" even on the best units but one could pop up on even the mid-tier units. Usually the hunter needs to be intimate with the area and have plenty of time to scout and have the willingness to hunt the full season.

Maybe you're not quite there on points or not quite ready for an elk hunt.

Lay back and watch the points/odds on a couple of the better units for a few years and then strike when you're ready.

Good luck,
Zeke

easy 350 bull???? sign me up.....with enough work and a bit of luck you can have a chance at a good bull. we took a couple bulls in the 350 range on my favorite unit here in Utah that is considered a lower tier unit where the taking of rag horns is common.

As I posted in the Elk Forum:

Looks like you could get a Book Cliffs Roadless tag with 17 points. Last year was 96% harvest rate for Roadless. If you don't have access to horses (either through family/friends or a guide) then Roadless would be very difficult, but I've seen it done without.

Also, if you put in for the Early Book Cliffs Bitter Creek/South tag, you would be in the pool for Bonus Tags. Looks like 5 guys will likely be putting in with 18 points, leaving about 15 bonus tags for you and your group of about 30 with 17... You could have as high as 50% to draw that tag. Lots of roads, lots of elk, and an easy drive if you do get a weekend to go scout. And I'd say that a 350" is possible, especially if you go guided. Last year it was an 92% harvest rate for the early hunt.

That'd be my recommendation.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom