Utah moose herd

scandalousbob

Just looking over the new draw odds and statistics. Resident bull moose tags down from 120 in 2011 to 106 in 2012. Cache unit down from 8 tags in 2011 to 4 in 2012. Seems like there were close to 30 bull tags when I hunted that unit in 2010. Are the moose herds really struggling that badly? Just curious.

Yes they are Struggling!

You'll still see Young Bulls but the Worm/Disease is not letting them live past 3-4 years old to reach their Potential!

Looks like a Quick way to completely destroy Genetics to me?

A PISSCUTTER is a PISSCUTTER is a PISSCUTTER is a PISSCUTTER!

I have also wondered the same thing about the moose. I"ve been applying for the past 15 years, hope they hold out a little longer. What is the worm desease?

I remember hearing about it in 2010, but I don't know much about it. I had to submit a tooth and liver sample to the DWR. Maybe that's what they were looking for.

I had a Cache moose tag last year and there was only 9 total tags, this year half that and down from 27 I believe the year before. I actually seen quite a bit of moose on my hunt but almost all bulls were young ones.

>one good moose is worth all
>the worthless turkeys in the
>state,,,,

+1
I'm finally starting to think you actually have some good thoughts there mr.elkun
Zeke

Does anyone know of a good bull on the wasatch unit. Or any good area to check out? My dad has a tag and we haven't found the one yet. We are having a hard time finding the older bulls maybe We know why know.

I am not 100% sure, but if the wasatch north border is Parleys Canyon, I would go look in Lambs Canyon and around that area. Check the regs before though, as I do not know for sure where the boundaries are.

Shiras moose are struggling all across the West. Wyoming tags are down more significantly than Utah, and it is not all just Wolf predation. I know the Utah DWR is in the process of launching a study on the exact cause of the decline. The trade with Colorado came only from a small part of the state while the decline is statewide. Several attempts have been made to expand the moose population in other areas of Utah, but all of the translocation attempts have failed. Hopefully they can find and fix the cause.
Sheep have the same up and down issues.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom