Utah mountain goat units

songdog

It looks like Utah has 3 mountain goat units to chose from this year for non-residents. Do any of you salty hunters have any suggestions/recommendations on which unit is the best? Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime tag, I just trying to cover my bases. I'm staring at 8 bonus points this year so with a little luck anything is possible.

Lastly, it looks like Utah added the Beaver unit to the non-resident mtn. goat list this year. Any comments???

Thanks in advance!!! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

There are plenty of Goats on Willard, but be very aware it is not what you'd expect a goat hunt to be. More ATVs buzzing around above the goats than there are goats. Very popular area thats close to big metro populations. If you want the experience, probably not the sights and sounds you'd expect for goat country. PM YELUM or UTHunting, they know it well. Noch does too, they crap in his back yard. I'd go for a Tushers Mt. tag, don't know the unit name.

I guess you could say that I have a 'pinch' of esperience up on the Willard unit and if ya have any questions feel free to PM me.

They changed the High Uinta unit this year as the non-res can not hunt the sub-units and has to go with only the Central Uinta unit--975 I believe it is....

I have a 'pinch' of experience in that unit too...

Robb

Would any of you experts consider Willard Peak to be the "easiest" goat unit in Utah? I applied for this unit with 10 points because I wanted a relatively easy hunt.

Access is the easiest part of it, the weather will make it just like any other goat hunt...if it is wet it will be like walking on grease..very slippery. if the goats are hanging out at mid level you can not get at them from above or from below, will just have to wait till they move to the top or go over to the east side. You can not approach them from below, they will bust you everytime...

My opinion is that the Beaver usually is considered the easiest hunt and the highest trophy quality. Willard can be a fun hunt, but it is female only (not a real problem) and those mtns get rough quick. The Uintas is big and access can be difficult. The Wasatch Mtns units are fun and big. They are harder to access, but I have hunted them 3 times with others and last year we killed a billy which was within 3/8 of the state record.

I think you can find a good goat hunt on any of the units. Put in, draw a tag and go have fun.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

It's funny that no one has mentioned the Wasatch goat units. Non-residents are allowed to hunt all of the Wasatch units and not just one particular unit. Has anyone ever hunted any of the Wasatch units and what is the quality of goats there? I know every unit in Utah probably contains quality goats but is there any one unit that stands out amoung the rest?

Thanks in advance!!!

I posted about the Wasatch Mtns unit in the previous post. They are all good. I like the Wasatch Mtns because they are in my backyard. I believe every unit produces quality. To put it simple, the Beaver and Willard allow you to drive higher to the goats, but you will still have to hike to them. The other units will have you hiking to get to the goats and gain your elevation.

www.sagebasin.com

It is my understanding that the Beaver unit is where most of the govenor's tags are punched because of the size of the billies. So as far as trophy quality, I am guessing that, that unit holds the best record book potential.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom