Utah Mountain Goats - High Uintas West unit

I was curious how many goats survived in 35 feet of snow? Got to be tough to find something to eat even on a south facing cliff

That's exactly why I didn't put in for that unit this year with 19 points. 5 of the 7 people with 19 points pulled permits.

Don't quote me on this, but I heard that 3 of the 6 collared goats on the Central unit died this spring. I don't recall where I heard that. ?

I'm hearing there was roughly a 25% die off this winter. Not catastrophic, but not good. Mountain goats are resilient. I'm hopeful most of the ones in their prime survived.

That's exactly why I didn't put in for that unit this year with 19 points. 5 of the 7 people with 19 points pulled permits.

Don't quote me on this, but I heard that 3 of the 6 collared goats on the Central unit died this spring. I don't recall where I heard that. ?
So did you draw a tag? I put in with 18 on a different unit thinking I had a 50% chance and three guys with 20 swooped in and got three of the four bonus point tags leaving me with no better chance next year

I helped on that hunt last year.
Saw several goats and dude killed a young Billy opening day.
The thing with goats most don't realize is how slow they reproduce. Nannys don't have kids until 3.5 and then typically only have 1 kid every other year.
Hope you drew and have a great hunt. There are still quality billies up there for you to chase.

So did you draw a tag? I put in with 18 on a different unit thinking I had a 50% chance and three guys with 20 swooped in and got three of the four bonus point tags leaving me with no better chance next year
I put in for the Beaver and came up several points short. I'm headed up into the Uintahs this weekend and hope to run into some goats and take some pictures. ?

After two decades of applying, I didn't want to rush the rock pile after the winter-of-all-winters.

I'm going into 2024 with 20 mountain goat points and 22 for elk (I'll apply for muzzleloader elk). I hope to draw one species in 2024 and the other in 2025. In 2026, I'm going on my first hunt in South Africa. No rush.

I put in for the Beaver and came up several points short. I'm headed up into the Uintahs this weekend and hope to run into some goats and take some pictures. ?

After two decades of applying, I didn't want to rush the rock pile after the winter-of-all-winters.

I'm going into 2024 with 20 mountain goat points and 22 for elk (I'll apply for muzzleloader elk). I hope to draw one species in 2024 and the other in 2025. In 2026, I'm going on my first hunt in South Africa. No rush.
Nice, quality hunts ahead for you. Let’s us know how Africa goes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom