Utah Muzzy Antelope at Bonanza/Diamond Mt.

Blank

Long Time Member
Now that I have had a couple trips down to the area, I thought I'd bring this topic back up and see what people thought. It is my first time in that Vernal/Jensen area and I have been impressed with the Basin as a whole. Plenty of country to cruise around in, definitely can glass until your eyes fall out, and I've been finding deer as well as antelope.

Not seeing a lot of antelope, and the ones I have seen haven't been real big. Don't know if this new hunt will be a bust or not, but gonna give it an honest try for the whole season. Everyone says there are quite a few there, and maybe I have been too early. A little worried since the rifle hunt is the week before the muzzy one.

Hoping to see a few more larger groups a little later. Have spent most of my time in the Snake John, Coyote Basin, Bonanza, Red Wash areas. I need to spend some more time in the areas further west in the oil fields, I guess???.

Haven't tried the north end at all, and thought I'd ask for local opinions on that.

Just wondering if we had any successful hunters on the early archery or current rifle hunt so far?? Getting everything lined up and ready to head down next week, and stay for the whole season.

There sure are a lot of lopes in the unit, but I have yet to see an ?Oh Wow? buck. With all the oil field traffic, they are pretty casual about approaching vehicles!!

My wife drew the same tag and we are hunting the southern part this weekend (Bonanza, Glen bench road)so maybe we will run into each other. She is not going to be very picky, just out for a fun weekend of hunting. Please share a picture if you get one. Good Luck

Still searching. Lots of bucks, but average. If they have prongs, then no length. If they are long and look tall, no prongs at all. Tomorrow?s another day!

Rained all night with wind, temp dropped about 10 degrees. Just like flipping a rut switch, saw another 30 bucks that morning. One tall and one massive in a group of seven bucks chasing 4 does all over. So hard to keep #1 (tall) and #2 (mass) identified, with them cutting in and out. This one actually has about two inches broke off each horn. Made a decision and at 165 yards he finally cleared all the others. Boom!!!

773250ba7630d6c5a4a67bdc368d346822c28.jpeg

I have to give Blank props. We looked over literally nearly a hundred bucks. Bonanza can be tough because although the bucks are not hard to find, finding the one that will break 14" and have all the things you need in combination to score well can be hard to put together. And they were being really weird this year, which made it complicated.

Either way, he was patient and over the days put together a list of those bucks in consideration. He hunted hard, covered lots of ground and in the end things came together, not quite like we planned, but memorable nonetheless.

Congrats Blank, I look forward to more hunts with you this year. :)

Great buck and memories- love the heavy tops even though broke- my wife took a nice 14 inchers on the unit south this fall for her second goat. Fun times.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom