Utah tag numbers

awbmab

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-11 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]When do the tag numbers come out? Any clue if they will increase, decrease or stay the same. Looking to draw the Wasatch early NR w/ 15 which is a guarantee. My Bro is hoping for Wasatch early resident w/ 14 which should be a draw unless some serious switching or major tag drop happens.

The wildlife board will set 2011 permit numbers May 4 & 5th.
Most likely LE elk permits will be reduced......

And I do know of a few 14 point guys switching to the
Wasatch to "Get-R-done",,,,But if I had to guess?
I'd bet 14 points will pull your Bro a tag.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Think they will up the general deer tags for one last hurrah on the last 9 day rifle season on the 5 regions? If they start with a low bar, the new future management scheme is more likely to show success:)

>Think they will up the general
>deer tags for one last
>hurrah on the last 9
>day rifle season on the
>5 regions? If they start
>with a low bar, the
>new future management scheme is
>more likely to show success:)
>

Nope,,,look for a reduction there too.
Both the southeastern and southern regions have deer tag
reductions on the radar ,,,,I'm thinking it WILL happen.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Yep general deer tag cuts and tag cuts in the historically better elk units.

Cool. Why they would lengthen the rifle season after reducing it to reduce harvest, and then wait a year more to start managing for increased buck numbers just didn't make sense to me...The longer hunt is better for those who get it, but all things being equal will mean more bucks harvested and more chance of a storm that really ups harvest..

Its because all gun hunters complained about a 5 day season in comparison to bow guy's longer season. whineing got it pushed back to the 9 days.

DWR didn't recommend the shortened seasons for deer in 2010, that one came from sportsmen and the RACs and Wildlife Board. The DWR's data actually showed an increase in deer harvest with shortened seasons. Based on their data they deemed it wasn't a good way to reduce buck harvest. The short seasons weren't recommended in 2010 but Sportsmen wanted them and got them. They weren't recommended again for 2011 and it flew under the radar with all the other potential changes on the horizon and the 9 day seasons passed.

I have also been hearing about probable decreases to recommended LE elk tags and general season deer tags. The final say lies with the Wildlife Board.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

it's a good thing it was a three day season in No Ut last year. Will never know if it helped??

Deerlove-
My understanding is that several areas will still fall into the shortened season scenario, however as the DWR has stated before this doesn't really help lower the buck harvest.
The way they have shortened seasons on low ratio units really baffles me, and will not do a damn thing until they lower tag #s on these struggling units.

Here's a scenario for you all:
A hunting party starts their hunt in a regular region on the Saturday opener, and then moves to the struggling unit just 50 miles away on Wednesday to hunt yet another opening day.
Somebody tell me the logic in this!

My understanding of the rational behind shorter seasons is that it potentially discourages hunters from hunting these areas because they are flagged as having low buck to doe ratios, thereby making them less appealing to hunters.

SLC, I don't doubt that the scenario you line out is happening, especially with hunters that are a bit more serious and on average, more successful.

The only way to really reduce buck harvest is to severely restrict hunting pressure by reducing tag numbers on specific management units.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom