Utah's Dedicated Hunter Program

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So I got an email tonight saying I was in my 3rd year of the program and would to apply to do it again. I think I'm going to pass on it. 40 hours of service....NEW rules going into effect in 2012??? I just don't think it's worth it. Been doing it since the beginning, but I think I'm giving it up.

How many of you are still going to do it with the new rule changes coming? How do you feel about the 40 hours of service, up from the previous 24?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I bailed last year because of the 40 hours of service. It was hard to finish 24 because there never seemed to be enough projects. Projects that would actually help the mule deer seemed to be few and far between. When they did get posted they would only be for a handful of guys. I tried to propose projects that I could do. It was like pulling teeth with red tape every where. I think it was a ploy to get people to buy their hours with dollars. I ended up doing hours at the Ogden Nature Center. They were great to work with.

I sat out in 2009 after beeing in the program since 2000. I also shied away form the 40 hrs of service. It sucked that year though only going bowhunting. I really missed doing all three weapons.

I rejoined this year 2010. I made an effort to get as many hours as I could my first year. I ended up having to burn some vacation time to do it but I ended up getting 36 of the 40 hours. During the hutning seasons this year it was great being able to hunt all three seasons again. I passed a lot of deer I would normaly shoot on a pick your season hunt. In fact in 2009 when all I did was bowhunt any buck was fair game.

I am conserned about the changes to the progeam going into 2012.

Mark

What exactly are the rules for 2012? I've seen lots of speculation.

2010 was my first year in the program, the 40 hours wasn't bad I had them all done by july. I love hunting all 3 weapons, I get to hunt with more family and friends that way.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

"2010 was my first year in the program, the 40 hours wasn't bad I had them all done by july. I love hunting all 3 weapons, I get to hunt with more family and friends that way."

My thoughts exactly. Hell 40 hours to hunt basically 3 1/2 months straight every year for 3 years is not bad in my book.

-Archery
-Muzzle
-Rifle
-Extended

Ever seen all the guys that post from other states, including Colorado about our sweet deal in Utah? BTW it's the only thing anyone, from outside the state, ever says about our hunts!

Keep it going.

i will be happy to do it again.but i think you should have to work the hours . the buy out was and is bs.

>i will be happy to do
>it again.but i think you
>should have to work the
>hours . the buy out
>was and is bs.

+10

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I just finished third year also. I'm planning on joining again. The hours are a bit of an issue, but, I've enjoyed the projects I've worked on. It would be nice to know how it will affect us in 2012. I'm gambling that it will work out.

2010 was my first year in the program. The only service I was able to get was detailing the dwr trucks. Not my idea of how the program could benefeit deer but that was the only returned phone call I got reguarding projects. It was a blast hunting with all 3 weapons. I think my time and money would be better spent leaving UT to hunt deer in other states. Doubt I will do it again.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Been in it for quite a few years!

2010 was my first year not being in the program in many years!

40 Hours Huh?

I don't mind doing the Hours but here's the deal!

I think until Utah Improves the Deer Herd most people could work them 40 hours(On their own job!) & take that money & invest it in a better Deer Hunt!

I think they cut their own throat when they bumped it to 40 hours!

Yup,I wasn't a StickFlipper this last year!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

I dumped the program when they increased the hours to 40. With 2 small kids and both my wife and I working full time, it would be extremely hard to get 40 hours.
I loved the program, but the 40 hours just isn't possible for me to do. I really wish they would take it back down.

I really liked the program because I had kids under 18 that could hunt all three seasons also. It made it a lot of fun to hunt with them while looking for a trophy.

I think they have stated that the Dedicated Hunter program will now be a one year entry. It is not likely that the service hours will be kept at 40 if that is the case.

We just don't have enough information right now to know if it will be worth it or not.

I think I will just stick to bow hunting and hope like hell that I draw a tag.

Walleye- the e-mail I received from the dwr a day or two ago stated that it would stay at 3 years. When they were discussing it before the board meeting, they said it would probably be a one year deal, but it looks like it will be 3 years still. I will probably re-apply, but I am going to talk to some people and see if I can find out what the changes will be in 2012. I am a lifetime license holder and if they will guarantee me a tag in a unit I want to hunt, but will not guarantee me that same thing in dedicated hunter then I will not do that. Unit preference to me would take priority over hunting all 3 hunts.

I stopped when it hit 40 hours of service instead of 24. I did make it through 2 full cycles before I stopped. I was only bow hunting and muzzy hunting each year anyways. I just do not like dealing with all the people on the deer rifle hunt.

I may do it again in the future, depending on what the rules look like after 2012. But I also felt the service projects were a complete waste of time and going to 40 hours really made it not worth it to me and a lot of people I know. It is just 40 hours less I can get away and hunt.

My e-up email stated that it would remain a 3 year program through 2013 but 2011 would be the only year you would be gauranteed a tag- with 2012 and 2013 subject to if you drew the unit of your choice. If you are unsuccessful refunds to the dedicated permits will not be granted. Same service hours and enrollnet fee's apply. Looks like depending on how things shake out, 2012 & 2013 are a crap shoot for a dedicated hunter to even get a tag! kind of sucks...

1-1.jpg

Since Utah's deer herds are heading in the wrong directions, and since we have way too many people wanting to hunt, the few deer we still have, I hope this will ultimately bring an end to this program.

Why should some hunters be able to draw a tag and hunt all three seasons, while other hunters stand on the side line and watch?

Utah does not need the dedicated hunter program to get the work done. There are many, regular, one tag hunters, who would be willing to do the work ,just for and extra point, that would help their odds of drawing a tag sooner and more often.

I think it's time to SCRAP the (UN) Dedicated HUNTER PROGRAM! I hope this will be the beginning of its demise!

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]I get a kick out of all the people that complain about the hours, but when it all comes down to it they don't want anyone else that is willing to do them do them.

Whether the projects suck or not they obviously take care of a lot of things that would otherwise not get done because of lack of funding. They may not always or ever help the deer herd but if the state has it set up for the intended purpose and as a means to an end for their projects to get them done then so be it.

2010 was the last of my three years also. I've debated about joining again, but the email I got from the DWR pretty much made up my mind not to. They won't guarantee anything for 2011-2012 and I don't think even they have a clue what changes will take place, and I'm not willing to take the chance of getting hosed. No way I'm going to pay the fee and do the hours upfront and then have them say, "oops, sorry, we're changing everything."

The guys who should be really worried are the guys who 2010 was their first year.

I have a couple years left, but we will see how that all pans out. I,m done after this go around. I will see what points different units take and draw every other or evry third year or what ever it takes. Then I will hunt Colorado elk or deer, Wyoming elk or deer over the counter on off years.

I will continue to put in for the points and prime hunts and keep my fingers crossed also.

I see at as forcing me to hunt other places I believe I have better chances for better animals and just hunt my own state when I draw.

40 hours was really hard to swollow!!! Mainly when all I was in the program for was to draw a southern tag every year and never hunted with anything other than my muzzleloader!!!

This was my first year in the program too. I don't like the up-in-the-air possibility of what will happen in 2012. Sounds like we could be screwed over. One of those wait and see what happens in 2012 deals.

Smokepole

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom