Utahs Problems

H

huntsonora

Take a look at the shed forum and you will see the number one reason Utahs deer hunting has taken a nose dive. Its the "anything goes" attitude that is bringing it down. Everybody is bitching and moaning about the new shed season, even openly discussing ways around the law and their complete disregard for the law.

It seems like they are proud to announce to the world, via the internet, that they have no problem whatsoever in breaking the law just to pick up a freaking bone. Completely disgusting!

These people are MUCH worse than guys on ATVs, they are the lowest of the low. They will only abide by the rules if it suits them. It makes me wonder how many other laws thay are willing to break to get what they want.

All I hear from these guys is that they are not the ones out on the wintering range running the deer. They admit to being out there but they are not the ones responsible for the deer being run all over the country. What kind of backwoods Utah logic is that? You get enough people out into the same small area watching the same bucks waiting for the same deer to shed their antlers only to have a foot race with other groups of people and they claim that they are not responsible. WTF?

Since when is a shed antler more important than the welfare of the deer herd?

I used to think that this rant would be directed at the minority of "outdoorsmen" but these days I am not so sure. The loudest voice is the one opposing the shed season. Why not accept it and try to make a difference for the deer, not just a difference in the size of the bone pile in your flower garden? Why not put the health of the herd first instead of your own selfish wants?

I hear the arguement that they should have enforced the law about wildlife harrassment but theres nobody here that has ever harrassed an animal on the wintering ground. They are completely oblivious to the fact thay they are the ones that made this new law a necessity. Are you pissed because now there is no grey area that allows you to manipulate the system? Now its black and white and your livid. What a shame!

Drummond

Deer are at their weakest point after the rut and before spring feed is plentiful. Put some fish cops in the winter range with spotters, and scratch the violators hard.

Makes me wonder why I am building points in Utah.

Ed

You nailed it.

This is Utard logic. The laws are for everyone but me. The same logic applies to applying grandma and someone else shooting, spotlighting, ATV misuse, and anything else you can think of. We are a rare breed.

You will never find anyone braking ATV laws, but the mountains are littered with the POS.

No one is "picking up sheds" just "marking" them.

It is legal to spotlight so do it.

If grandma draws and I shoot it "we had a tag for one animal" so it is alright.

Bigbull1

I assure you, it is not worth your effort to put in or otherwise build points in Utah. In fact, I hope all MM members rise up and in mass not apply for Utah any more!

Way to go, Drum. You said it perfect.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

Hi Drummond,

I'm a former Northern Utah resident and shed hunted a lot, (sounds like an AAA meeting). Personally, I would be completely livid knowing that a law has now prohibited me from some of my favorite elk/deer shedding grounds, while some criminals, guys that disregard the law, scooped up all those brown antlers.

With that said, There are a lot of ethical shed hunters with spots that are special to them. They glass it from a far through the winter months waiting for the bachelor groups of bucks/bulls to move uphill in March. Once the animals are out, the shed-hunting begins.

I don't know how I feel about the new law. If it worked, I would like it. Maybe time will tell.

One more point, we need to remember that even though there are some hunters out there that are law-breakers and are going to try to skirt around the law unfortunately, there are many good hunters in the region that will abide the law )even if they don't agree with it) and head to another region or state for the next few months to continue doing what is a passion for them......to get out after a long winter, taking a deep breath of mountain air, clear your mind of all the wrongs in this world, and sit on a high point glassing some of the most beautiful country this earth has to offer in hopes of finding some ivory tips pointing towards the heavens.

I agree that the law should not be broken, and I won't.

Having said that, this shed hunting restiction is the most retarded law ever inacted in the State of Utah! "Don't pick up shed bones - that will save the deer herd". But shooting the sh*t out of them in the fall by issuing too many permits is just fine. Give me a break!

After all, its human hiking that exausts a wintering deer's energy reserve. Being chased by coyotes and cougars has no effect. Even if the spirit of the law was observed by all, it would have no effect on the deer herd, IMO!

Heres an Idea. WE all have shed spots that we love to go to, so why not watch from a vehicle, or trail (but dont scare the deer) if you see a violator, call it in. Optics will allow people to do this from a distance. Maybe just maybe a few of the violators will think twice about illegaly hunting sheds. It seems simple, but we all know that there are not enough fish and game officers, so lets just do our part, and help the best we can..

Theres no such thing as a perfect system.....

That is a great idea. We all need to do our part. Poachers of animals or horns need to be punished.

Well said. While it is not a cure all for the herds it is a start. Get over it shed hunters and sack up and follow the rules. We need to do a lot more for the deer herd but this is a start in the right direction. I think they need to stretch it to all of Utah and not just the Northern region as well. Harrassing the deer while "marking" the horns is wrong. I would hope most won't stoop to that level. Have a great day.

Chad

how bout gating some of the main access roads to the winter ranges?? Closing them after seasons end. anyone in there would be in violation. Would keep shed hunters and winter poachers on their toes to know that even if seen there they'd be busted.......but then again, just how many cops are out there to enforce?

ya just know there are some guys out there that cannot resist the temptation to shoot if they keep seeing the same old 190 buck time after time. sonner or later- bam!

too bad the few bad apples rot the barrel

IMO

Mark

The problem with closing the gates during the winter is that sometimes those gates never open again. Thats what I would be affraid of.

i agree with the closing of access roads. theyve already done this on the south side of tabby mountain and it does a good job of keeping people out because they cant get there trucks in there and if theyre truck is seen right there the locals will turn them in. the gate gets closed the second week of december and doesnt open back up until march.

What about the late season elk hunters? I think that it's kind of a double standard to not allow for people to pick up sheds but they they let elk hunters go into the same area and chase around and shoot at elk.

>What about the late season elk
>hunters? I think that
>it's kind of a double
>standard to not allow for
>people to pick up sheds
>but they they let elk
>hunters go into the same
>area and chase around and
>shoot at elk.

My point exactly; I surely am not against closing the region
to protectthe herds. But, all this does is prove that the UDWR
can't enforce the "harrassing wildlife" law they have in place.
So what do they do create another law.

Close the late elk hunts, no snowmobiling..... Oh, lets just
shut the whole state down :)

wow, thats quite the post. I am from utah and while i dont think the term utards applies to all of us you are right. law breakers should be punished, but I think you will find the people breaking the laws are outsiders and people looking to get rich on scouting and guiding. they harass the heards more than anything. most of us are just small town folks who like to hunt and if a deer or elk lays its antlers on my farm, i pick them up. I live in the central utah region and i dont really know anybody who antler hunts except for guys like doyle moss (moss backs) and the like. Mind you, there are lots of retarded high school and college kids who get a kick out of camping and poaching, but i think you will find that most of us are good people who obey the law.

as for an all out ban on applying for utah hunts. please do. Unless I win the lotto, it will take me 12 years of bonus points before i can go hunt in my own back yard. If anybody has a right to complain its us locals. we have to deal with all the people coming in to our area, (and yes the atv's and campers etc do tear up and do more harm than any shed hunter) and leaving it for us to clean up.

As for the heard herassment. I asure you there are enough coyotes, cougars, and bear to do a good job of keeping the deer heards on the move. not to mention the almost five monthes of constant hunting.

What it comes down to is that hunting is hard and you can make lots of excuses for why we cant get the deer we want but hey, its deer hunting and its hard and we cant always have what we want.

TrophyMaster, you are my hero! How did shed hunting become such an atrocity? Money and greed will be the down fall of the deer herds in Utah. I guarentee you building a freaking sub divison on the winter range is far more harmfull to the herd than shed hunting. Taking my family out shed hunting on a nice spring day doesn't do a damn thing to the deer herd! In fact, it is the only ethical sport left when taking about deer. Shooting the bejesus out of them from aug.-nov. is one of the problems. Guides with to much ego is another. A season for shed hunting is a load of crap. Made by people who don't know what they're taking about. Folks looking for antlers is the least of their problems!

Drumm, So everything you guide types have been doing forever is OK. Guess who introduced FAT CATS, PARAPLANES, and all the other BS, like sending out 50 people looking for trophy bucks just so you can make a dollar.

GIVE ME A BREAK! YOU A-*olES have been dicking with the system forever.

Shed hunters pick up some nice trophy's and nothing dies.

CAN YOU SAY THE SAME!!!

Here is a picture of my <finger>

RUS

RUS,

You make a good argument as does most here. I do not think many of the shed hunters are the problem. This problem has gone full circle back to money, greed, and abuse of the resource and enviroment. A better solution, as was priorly stated, close some damn roads! Cut some tags! Outlaw ATV and abuse! Enforce the laws they have! It does seem to me that the high profiles are getting their way.

Unfortunately, Utah has to do something. Our deer herd is needing some serious help. No, putting a price on a deers head does not help. Also, the ability to be lazy through ATV's, chute planes, radios, and spotlights does not help. I will never understand Utah's stance on spotlighting. Until Utah makes a stand on wildlife issues and close all of the loopholes nothing will change.

This whole deer issue from top to bottom just pisses me off!

fishon, I will join MDF IF you do something? Show me a plan even if you do not do it? Something that makes sense. Things have been done, but it is not working to EXPAND the herd?

KTC,

I like your comments. All this law does is defer the blame to
a group of people that for the most part, cause no problems.
People can say I am complaining and yes, I admit I am. For the
sheds I have found, guess what I did with them? They are sitting
in a pile in my garage.

But, taking my kids out and having them talk about finding them
is the main reason I go.

Again, this is nothing more than a scapegoat for the UDWR; an
excuse for a failed deer herd. It is ridiculous to think they
would have another un-enforced law.

I agree KTC, its time for some of these organizations to step
up and call BS where it really is. I would love to here SFW's
stance on this as well as the other org's.

>Drumm, So everything you guide types
>have been doing forever is
>OK. Guess who introduced FAT
>CATS, PARAPLANES, and all the
>other BS, like sending out
>50 people looking for trophy
>bucks just so you can
>make a dollar.
>

When they pass a law against Fat Cats, Para-Planes and all the other BS I will make the exact same statement to them. If I saw them break the law I would call the game warden myself.

>GIVE ME A BREAK! YOU A-*olES
>have been dicking with the
>system forever.

How have I dicked with the system forever? Give me one example of me dicking with the system.

>Shed hunters pick up some nice
>trophy's and nothing dies.

How do you know? People get out and chase them all over the wintering ground and they are already run down and in their most vunerable state. Just because you dont put a bullet in something doesnt mean you dont kill it. Its that type of attitude that makes this law a necessity.

>CAN YOU SAY THE SAME!!!

Actually yes, I can! I have eaten a crapload of tags over the years. Ask some of the guys that have hunted with me, I am perfectly content going home with nothing but good memories. I dont have to kill it or chase it to have a good time.

>Here is a picture of my <finger>

Thats not nice :-(

Drum

>KTC,
>
>I like your comments. All
>this law does is defer
>the blame to
>a group of people that for
>the most part, cause no
>problems.
>People can say I am complaining
>and yes, I admit I
>am. For the
>sheds I have found, guess what
>I did with them? They
>are sitting
>in a pile in my garage.
>
>
>But, taking my kids out and
>having them talk about finding
>them
>is the main reason I go.
>
>
>Again, this is nothing more than
>a scapegoat for the UDWR;
>an
>excuse for a failed deer herd.
>It is ridiculous to think
>they
>would have another un-enforced law.
>
>I agree KTC, its time for
>some of these organizations to
>step
>up and call BS where it
>really is. I would
>love to here SFW's
>stance on this as well as
>the other org's.

I want to be VERY clear about my original post, I was not placing the blame of all of Utahs deer herds on guys that shed hunt. I was taking notice of the guys on this very forum that are saying that they will not abide by the law.

ITS THE ATTITUDE OF THESE PEOPLE AND PEOPLE LIKE THEM THAT BRING IT DOWN.

Maybe I did not convey that properly in my original post, I will go back and reread it.

Shed hunting is a GREAT sport, it introduces kids to the outdoors, its good exercise and it gets you outside. Its a small population of people that have basically ruined it for everybody, its the "me first" and "at any cost" attitude that is bringing it down.

There are MANY solutions to the problem but I think that this could be a good one.

Drum

So what would you guys think of several of us law abiding hunters in this state becoming VOLENTEER wardens and covering the areas that we have our deer tags in? They could have the power to issue citations and have direct contact with the full time wardens in the area if a situation was to get to crazy. I think that if the right people were given this responsability that could be trusted to not get to power hungry it scare people away from breaking the law because you don't know it the guy up on the hill hunting the same area that you are is one of these wardens. I picture this; One of these wardens is walking up a trail in the early morning heading to his favorite spot when one of these "UTARDS" comes up the trail, that is clearly marked as closed to ATV, full throtle and the warden stops him and issues a warning or citation and tells him if doesn't take his ATV back to a designated area then he will contact the Full time officer in the area and the appropriate action will be taken. Just a thought. I would like to hear what you all think.

do you think that the states that dont have an antler seasons herds will be affected by us that get out there and walk among the deer and elk picking up horns. the herds look pretty healthy now and we have never had a season. we dont have a big city right in the middle of everything though. the wasatch front might be an exception. you can still go out and walk without taking the horns though. just gps them and go back in May. hard to enforce this law without hiring more wardens. even so, trappers and hunters can still be on wintering grounds? dont they spook deer as well?

> even so,
> trappers and hunters can
>still be on wintering grounds?
>dont they spook deer as
>well?

Sure they do, its not a perfect system. I like the road closure idea.

The thing about some of the other people out on the wintering range is they do not engage others in a foot race to pick up a piece of bone as soon as it hits the ground either. There are quite a few people in Utah that have seen this type of activity.

Drum

that is pathetic to think that there are people willing to babysit a buck until his horns drop. what is really pathetic is that there is a race to get there first. as i stated before, thank god i dont live in utah. too bad i will have to see you saps in my neck of the woods now that you cant go into your own. maybe its time for me to find a new sport.

deputy wardens. that would be cool. I already know a couple of people to bust. Just camp outside there cabin and wait for them to break the law. ahahah

agian you are talking about a handful of law breakers. People who arent real hunters and can only get the antlers. we are not all utards and I hope nobody is serious about finding a new sport because of a couple retards. do what you can and enjoy it

I do not know if I am right, but it usually seems to be a few causing most of the problems. I think duckslayer is on to something? Something that has already existed years ago? It seems to me that the problems are so wide spread that the few CO's cannot deal with it all.

Seems like every state I hunt in has some road closure system. Not Utah. I will never understand how too many roads could help anything, but the road hunter. Vernon is a complete joke and used to be one of the best mule deer spots around.

The shed thing I do not do. If I come across one great, if not, it never crosses my mind. To walk around and look for them is ok, but when the competition starts, ATV's become the mode of transportation, and any chasing begins, then there is a problem. Maybe the situation in regard to sheds is better or worse than I am picturing it? I have heard of people "sitting" on the animal waiting for bone to drop.

I like big deer, elk, and atelope as much as anyone. However, once animal gets to be trophy class, money, greed, and loopholes are the norm. It is kind of sad. Not that it is bad, but I cannot believe the interest shed hunting has created over the last few years. When I was young you looked at it on the ground and said "Wow, I would sure like to find that deer." Taking it home was not even on my mind? I thought about trying shed hunting, but it seems it is another "Utard Debacle" I would rather stay away from.

I will agree the point of this post was to call out a few who admittedly will break the shed law. This attitude sucks. Those of you who wait I hope you find the "good ones."

Maybe if our deer herd would be expanded then their would be more shed opportunity also? I hate to say it, but Utah deer hunting for this guy is almost a thing of the past.

Is shed hunting a Utah addiction only? Seems I saw a post of a guy in Iowa that had a great collection of sheds.

Anyway, I have found shed hunting to be one of the most rewarding sport activities that I've been introduced to. I'm with KTC, years ago I wouldn't even think of picking up a bone, then my Son talked me into going camping and hunting sheds, it was a BLAST. I've been hooked ever since.

It has never occured to me to stalk deer waiting for them to drop, although it probably happens. There are a-holes in every sport.

I considered apologizing for the finger photo comment, then I re-read Drummonds original post. The finger thing still stands. I'm truly offended that a supposed sportsman thinks the blame for the decline of the Utah deer herd is due to shed hunters.

What the heck does spending time in the hills in the spring, whether it's hiking, taking photos or picking up bone have to do with harrassing game?

By the way, there is only 1 unit in Utah that has a stupid shed season. The rest of us are perfectly legal.

RUS

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-07 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]

>There are a-holes
>in every sport.
>
>I considered apologizing for the finger
>photo comment, then I re-read
>Drummonds original post. The finger
>thing still stands. I'm truly
>offended that a supposed sportsman
>thinks the blame for the
>decline of the Utah deer
>herd is due to shed
>hunters.

Fair enough! F-U too then :p

If you still think that I am blaming ALL shed hunters for the decline of the deer hunting in Utah then you either dont want to see the truth or your completely blind to the meaning of the post.

Either way, the downfall of the sport is not the rich, its not even the state agencies that manage these animals for quantity and not quality. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the people that love this sport that could make a difference and choose not to. We have to hold our own selves accountable for our own actions.

There are new posts every day talking about how they are going to break this new law because they dont agree with it. Thats the mindset that will set us back.

If you dont see it as a problem then I guess your extremely lucky, I've heard that ignorance is bliss.

Drum

take only pictures and leave only footprints.

i agree totally with that. the closing roads thing might not fly but it would work. i think that atv's and spotlighting. stuff like that should be outlawed. nothing good comes of it. ya we have designated trails but that doesnt work. they should be banned totally from any mountain. people hunting off of them is a joke. how many people harvest anything but a spike maybe a 2 point anywhere past opening morning off of one. if they dont want to walk thats awesome more country for me to enjoy.
its a joke people are racing to antlers it should be something to enjoy not something to make money off of the animal and harrass it to make them fall sooner.
it should be all in fun and to enjoy not a money market.
i personally dont go shed hunting but if i find one i will pick it up i have alot of them around my house that i found while hiking or hunting. i have left alot of them lay because i didnt want to pack them out or it just looked really pretty laying there and i hope somebody else saw it for that too.

I strongly agree with take only pictures and leave only footprints.

RE: take only pictures and leave only footprints.

HEY Drum!!!

AS I'VE SAID FOR YEARS!!!

TELL THESE TARDS THEY CAN'T & THEY'LL GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO SHOW YOU THEY WILL!!!

DOES THAT NOT SAY THE FINES ARE NOT BIG ENOUGH???

I'M JUST LIKE ktc,THIS $HIT PISSES ME OFF & I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!!

WHAT GOODS ANOTHER LAW IF THEY CAN'T ENFORCE IT???

YOU GOT TO LIVE IN TARDVILLE JUST TO SEE IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES!!!

I SAY MAKE THE FIRST TIME OFFENSE A MANDATORY MISDEMEANOR & A 25,000.00 FINE!!!

THEN BY GOD LETS SEE THEM RUN THEIR MOUTHS!!!

HURRY BOYS,HURRY AND ALERT THE MODS & FOUNDER,TELL EM WHAT A PRICK I AM,HURRY!!!

THE ONLY bobcat!!! :D :D :D

So B!tch and moan, whine and complain...

I think the goal of this post was to point out that it is those people who will not abide by the set laws that are the source of the problems. These are the same guys that have been breaking the laws that have been set for years prohibiting things such as off road ATV use, and harrassing wildlife.

I think the biggest flaw with the shed season law is that it punishes the honest people. It will not stop the people causing the problem, only the rest of us that were not causing a problem in the first place, and that seems to me to give the a$$holes out there an unfair advantage. All the honest people will be waiting it out while the a$$holes will still be out there gathering the cream of the crop. The A$$holes need to be dealt with...

It's obvious to me that this was not directed at shed hunters in general but to those unethical folks that ruin things for the rest.

Tip of the Day:
Think then Talk...

shed season do not work as long as you have the "Guy" who doesn't abide the law. We have had a shed season in upper snake valley,In Idaho and people just break the law and sneak out anyway, closing roads with fines and no activity helps, but excludes other outdoor activities, I.E. predator hunting ect. Let everyone walk in only and weed out the ones who have their seats glued to atv's.

I sat on my mule on a high ridge last year and watched four atvs about fifty feet apart going through and over everything. They had deer running everywhere around them. They were picking up sheds, this was in nash, south Bookcliffs. I watched and talked to a group that were using two para planes, and atvs they were griding areas off and marking antlers with gps units so the atv riders could drive to them and pick them up. This was in the cottonwood drainage.

The rims from Green river to Colorado are covered with atv, motorcycle tracks. The rims above Thompson were shredded this year, atv's and motorcycles going over everthing. I contacted the BLM ranger in Moab, He stated they had enough to deal with in Moab. I also notified the BLM about Nash last year they came out one afternoon. The folks were back in a week.

I have talked to shed hunters out by Hay and East canyon. One was working the rims from sulpher to Cottonwood. I asked him if it wasn't a little early yet he said ya but sometimes you can run em and they will lose a antler.

I think shed hunting is a great pastime kids love it. But I think we are headed for a fall. We need to rain in some of the destructive activties, it hurts the habitat, the deer,elk and us.

I hear ya Mulehound, I was there too and saw a million ATV tracks. Its major BS. I sent ya a Private Message.

so there makeing a law where you can't pick up sheds cuase they say the deer and elk die from it thats bull shite

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-07 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]No, deer and elk are not dying from people picking up sheds, they die when they are hungry and weak in late winter/early spring and when simple minded idiot rednecks chase them to make their anlters drop. Thats the problem.

I dont understand why all you guys are bitching about this law. Do I like the law? Heck no. But I understand that it is a SMALL ATTEMPT, in one region, to help solve a problem. You people that ##### about "making a new law when the current laws cant be enforced" dont seem to understand that if it aint a law, law enforcement cant even ATTEMPT to enforce it.
Everyone says that it is just a few "bad apples" that are breaking the laws. Well if there are 85,000 hunters (good apples) and only a few bad ones, why the heck dont 85,000 good guys get off their collective butts and help law enforcement enforce the law. You guys that are seeing these violations and reporting them, GOOD ON YA. Law enforcement may not be able to follow up on every violation, but if there are 85,000 good guys out there taking plate numbers, pics, and video, this crap would stop.
All you guys that sit on your hands and then ##### about the problems make me laugh. Damned armchair quarterbacks. Afraid to get in the game. How is it that every huge buck and bull has hours of video and hundreds of pics taken of it, but an idiot breaking the law never does?
I personally dont think we all need to be deputy wardens to be able to make a difference. These laws dont hurt the honest guy; the lawbreakers do. What?, it aint fair that you, being honest, have to sit at home while all the bone is being snatched up illegally by the lawbreakers? Get outa your lazyboy and get out there and help!
If someone keeps walking into your backyard and stealing your lawnmower are you just gonna sit there and ##### about the fact that the cops cant catch them? Heck no! That SOB aint gonna do that twice! Well these guys are stealing from you and me, and I for one dont like people ripping me off.
You can damn sure bet that if I am in the field when any of this Chit goes on, I will get pics, plate numbers, descriptions, video...hell, I'll tell law enforcement what you ate for lunch and where you took a crap.
After all, its my damned "lawnmower"
Until all the rest of you "good apples" realize this, and PERSONALLY take action to throw all the bad apples out of the bushell this STINK is gonna be on us all.

Shiskabod,

You are either related to Hunterman67 or that Huntercameron
guy??????

The only bobcat suffering from an EXTREME migraine!!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-07 AT 01:58PM (MST)[p]Just two cents from Arizona. Looking around in this forum and others like it, you guys up in Utah need alot of help. Omg you winey Little titty babys. Get off your asses and get involved with your game Dept. If you guys dont do something besides ##### at each other, before you know it nothing will be left. I'm on the outside looking in and havent hunted Utah in 15 years because it was bad then. Look at you now. 15 years from now What will you look like?

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-07
>AT 01:58?PM (MST)

>
>Just two cents from Arizona. Looking
>around in this forum and
>others like it, you guys
>up in Utah need alot
>of help. Omg you winey
>Little titty babys. Get off
>your asses and get involved
>with your game Dept. If
>you guys dont do something
>besides ##### at each other,
>before you know it nothing
>will be left. I'm on
>the outside looking in and
>havent hunted Utah in 15
>years because it was bad
>then. Look at you now.
>15 years from now What
>will you look like?

I second that, get off your arse and get INVOLVED!

The world is ran by those who show up, so show up or SHUT UP!!!

PRO

Shed hunting restrictions are not the answer to the herd problems in Uath. Shoot less deer is what is needed. Show me a study that shows that a few guys kicking around the hills causes any deer die offs and you may change my mind.

Not that breaking any law is OK, but how many of us have picked up an arrow head and put it in your pocket when you darn well know that it is against the law. Be honest.

Amen Gilamonster and Prooutdoors, Amen...

Castnshoot, its not about keeping a few guys from kicking around the hills... its about keeping the hords from kicking around the hills AT CRITICAL TIMES. Once again, one SMALL step to help solve a BIG problem

ICHABOD, Maybe its just the area I'm in but I don't see hordes of people out shed hunting. I am surrounded by BLM on all sides,
my deck looks right up at the heart of of a 250 to 300 head winter ground. I watch and count bucks though my scope every morning while drinking my coffee. On the weekends I might see a few people up there kicking around. If someone gets close enough to spook the deer they don't go far and go right back to feeding from what I see. Where are these hills with hordes of shed hunters, is it close to SLC. Is there any studies on this problem. Like I said in my post I might change my mind.

PS The buck to doe ratio on "my" herd has come way up over the last couple of years, but is still pretty sad.

The DWR put this restriction in place because way too many people care more about antlers than the deer. The pressure on deer during the MOST critical time of year results in lower birth rates, which means FEWER deer the next year! If people could/would use some sense, the DWR wouldn't need to put in such restrictive regulations. This may not be the case in your neighborhood, but it IS a problem in most of the region, so to make law enforcement easier and more effective, they made the whole region restricted. If the rest of the state isn't careful, the same restrictions will be put in place STATEWIDE.

PRO

CASTNSHOOT,
Go back and read post #34...click the link and read about the studies done, and why this shed season was enacted, (remember, it is ONLY in ONE unit). I dont have this problem in "my herd" either, but understand that winter can be especially difficult on deer and elk in certain areas of northern Utah.
The whole point of this law is that in THAT unit, people just need to wait a few months, and THEN go and enjoy. Whats the big problem? Nobody is blaming shed hunters for the downfall of the deer herds, just trying to help give the deer in THAT unit a little more time to recover from difficult winters. Makes perfect sense to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------"How is it that every huge buck and bull has hours of video and hundreds of pics taken of it, but an idiot breaking the law never does"?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom