Valle Vidal Late Cow Hunt Help

hjbuys

I used up all of my luck today and got one of the late cow tags for Valle Vidal. That's something since I haven't been able to draw for an elk tag in the last three years. I don't know the area at all. Anyone willing to give me some advice on where to find them? Thanks.

Finding a cow on the valle vidal is like finding a rock in a gravel pit. Try not to shoot one too far from the road and you should be good. Granted it has been years since I was there, but it wasn't too hard of a hunt.

Uh yeah! take your truck in the day before the hunt, find the slope next to the road that allows you to back your pickup up to the point that a downed tailgate will butt right up to the underside of an elk. Mark all these spots on your gps. Openin morning/day don't shoot a cow until they are exactly on one of these spots.

Seriously, you want help finding a cow in there.

Here's some advice. You can start by removing your blind fold. If you don't see an elk behind every tree your in the wrong unit. Hit your onstart button, the stupid lady in the phone can even take you to a cow.

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

Take a walk straight north from shuree ponds and you will likley be in them (between shuree ponds and windy gap. Might also try Holman creek area. If you have snow on the ground you will have an easy time finding them. I can't imagine it is all that different than when I went, but that was a long time ago. Back then it was a "turkey shoot". Saw about 300 elk in the first half hour of the hunt and it took me a half hour becasue I had to hike in 2 feet of snow so it took a little while to catch up to them. Hope you have as much fun as I did. I am sure you will.

Stinkystomper:

You're too much! I'm still laughing at your response. I hope you're not exagerating too much. I won't mind not having to hunt as hard for this cow as I did for my deer this year, but I would love some elk for the freezer. Thanks.

I hunted this past second rifle season and saw on average 100 bulls (close & far) on two straight days. The ratio is probably 30 to every 100 cows. They will tell you 42% if asked. Don't shoot the biggest cow. Ask John Yepa (best working hand on the preserve) to suggest where to set up and use his assistance. Tip him well.

Bumpfly, I suspect you are talking about the Valles Caldera and not the Valle Vidal?

Pm me and I will try to help with the cow hunt. I talked with a guy that hunted the Valle Vidal on the last cow hunt and for whatever reason didn't get one, saw a few bulls but no opportunity at a cow. I was up there quite a bit this fall and saw tons of elk but they can move around especially late in the year.

There are elk all over the Valle but just keep in mind this is one of the last hunts there and there has been pressure from hunters since September and shots heard by elk since the first weekend in October , so just a little FYI, the elk are spooked right now. The latter cow hunts have been tougher the last few years, not saying you won't find them and it may end up being easy , but just keep in mind what I said , they don't hang around alot once the suns gets up and trucks up and down the road, they move fast....

There has been some hunting pressure up there this year (320 rifle cow tags), it wont be the elk shoot you may expect, I was up there helping some friends last Sat. and had sucess getting into them, pm me or email and I'll help you out, nmbighorn

buddies of my from work got 2 cows at Rock walls and said it is very tough find them! but they are glad to bring some winter meats home!

GOOD LUCK!! keep us post!

vinihunt

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom