Valle Vidal Spring Bear Hunt

Gaigebacca

Hello all, so I was the lucky ONE to get a non-res non-guided hunt. This will be my first time hunting in NM, and so I know nothing of the Valle Vidal region. Was hoping for any pointers. I know that the entire west side of the region will be closed off due to elk calving.

Bears main diet when coming out of hibernation is green grass and new born Elk. They can smell the after birth and will find the babies. So find a herd of cows and you will find the Bear.
Jack

>Bears main diet when coming out
>of hibernation is green grass
>and new born Elk. They
>can smell the after birth
>and will find the babies.
>So find a herd of
>cows and you will find
>the Bear.
>Jack

Thanks, good advice, the only issue is, most of the calving area is off limits to entry, so will be interesting to see how many calving cows are on the east side versus the west.

Hunt the lower stuff around McCrystal.

Hunted it in 2017 for elk. Game Warden said there weren't as many now as before, and with the dry summer and fall last year, they may have made their way more into town areas.

Good luck.

Congrats on the tag. Been trying 11 years and no luck. I would hunt as close to the end of the season as possible as ive been out there in mid april and the bears were not really out and about much. Think they will be more bears out of hibernation in may. Good luck and give us a report on ur hunt

>Didn't feel like looking it up...
>haha...can you use dogs?

You can, I will not be. I am not going with a guide, and plan to spot and stalk.

Bears aren't out at the beginning of the season a lot of times there. Later can be better so be sure your guide knows to pay attention to when they are out.

We have lots of bears so make sure you fill your tag big or small, you will be doing the elk a favor.

Bears will hit grass first when they come out of hibernation. If the bears are just coming out key on the grass. Once they been out for a week or so they will start roming looking for carion and any thing they can kill. Elk Calves won't hit the ground until early June. Be ready to hike to where the bears will be and pay attention to their scatt, that will tell you what they are eating at the time and show you where to look.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom