Very Strange Question--RELH??

Pre64

Very Active Member
I fired 6 four shot groups, 3 wearing sunglasses and three without. The glasses I was wearing are the wrap-around style which have a very convex lens. Without sunglasses groups were twice as big, or bigger. Every time. Could the convex lens make a difference??? My thought was maybe the pronounced curvature of the lens, which I'm sure I looked through at a different spot on every shot, may have thrown the image from the scope off enough to open up the group.

Everything else was controlled for; same load, same power on scope, barrel cooled equally, etc. Any takers?

Are you serious? Sounds like a bad day at the range. Besides, Why are you wearing sunglasses to shoot? Most shooting glasses have only a slight tint, and are rated for eye protection if shattered. Change glasses. mtmuley

Because I didn't have shooting glasses with me and mu sunglasses are ANZI rated. The difference in groups was stark. I thought I was nuts but I replicated it.

Didn't mean to sound as I was discounting your experience, but I don't wear glasses at the range. I probably should. Maybe you are nuts! LOL! Seriously, Whatever happened is beyond my grasp of whatever happened. mtmuley

I have never had this problem, but I never have worn sunglasses with a radical wrap around type lens, just the normal flat lens shooting glasses or impact rated sunglasses.
There is a good chance the sunglasses with the wrap around lens could have set up a parallax condition with the scope and gave you the same problem as changing your cheekrest on the stock. I am guessing on this, but it is the only logical thing I can think of based on your information and you being sure that you duplicated the results by firing groups with and without the glasses on.
Don't use them with a scope in the future, they still should be fine while using iron sights.
Now watch Mtmuley to ask you to send the glasses to him so he will not have to buy a pair. MtMuley you better start wearing shooting glasses. One blown primer can cause you to loose the sight in you shooting eye that is behind the bolt. I know, I was lucky 25 years ago when I got a small metal particle of primer in my right eye and took a trip to the eye doctor. I was very lucky that it was minor and did loose any vision in that eye.

RELH

Thanks for the reply RELH. I've never heard of this either, and no one at the range had either. I was checking on a new load and I am usually pretty thorough when it comes to my finished product. BTW, these were oakleys. Will try again next weekend. You wouldn't want to look through a prism as you sight in a rifle. Would you?????

I think they eliminated some of the glare on the target in some fashion to allow you to concentrate on the same point better. When shooting skeet glasses can make all the difference in the world in picking up the target and different colors for different conditions. Maybe you just shoot better with the Oakley's because you looked cool and had to perform! Hey you shot better with them so it wasn't all bad! :^)

Pre64;

did I misread your post, was your groups with the glasses worn worse or better?

RELH

Then I have to figure it is a parallax problem, but if you get information otherwise, let me know, because it is new to me.

RELH

Yes, it was caused by the glasses...or most likely not looking through the same place on the lens every time.

W/a M-14 and the M4 there is such a thing called, "Spot-weld." W/the M-14 it is putting your cheekbone against your thumb, and w/the M4 it is putting your nose against the charging handle. The purpose of it is to have a set reference point so that your eye, which is a lens, will be located in the same place each time. If not, then you will see the sights differently and your groups will suffer.

I suspect that: A-you had a poor spot-weld and that you were either closer, up or down (also very important) in reference to your scope or sights or B-looking through your glasses differently, probably w/your head in the same place, but w/a minute difference in the way that your head was tilted, so that you are not looking through the same part of the lens each time or C-All of the above.

This is common, for me, shooting a pistol in the kneeling position w/my elbow on my knee. This causes the head to tilt forward, changing the focal points and part of the eye that is seeing the sights (very important to look at the sights w/the same part of your iris...which is a lens). The result is that I'd still shoot a tennis ball sized group, but it would be off the center of the target and usually diagonally. And in the prone position things can really get messed up (w/a pistol).

In short, I suspect that you were looking at your sights w/a different part of the lens of your eye, which would also be looking through a dif portion of your glasses.

Seems weird to me, if the glasses were causing him to basically look at a different spot through the scope, wouldn't the groups just shift point of impact, and not change in size??

68hi7ls.gif

Same problem here with any sunglasses with any type of sighting system. Shooting glasses that don't wrap around with only slight yellow tint work for me. Clear does not seem to affect group size regardless of design. Shooting a bow with glasses for me is almost impossible to be accurate.

just curious if they are the same oakleys that the army is going to. They are nice and balistic they can take a ak bullet and not shatter. I am thinking that what was said about the m-4 that you are moving your cheek weld reference point. I had problems at the range wearing any glasses and still being able to qualify. It was tough being able to hit at 500 yards when all your seeing is a white and blk blur, but with glasses i shot worse.

Wish I could give all a definitive update with the sunglasses issue. Took the rifle back to the range with the regular shooting glasses. I'd like to say that group improvement was consistent with previous results, but that would be a stretch. BTW, rifle has gone away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom