visiting albuquerque

RCL

Will be in albuquerque on business for a week. Just wondered if there was anywhere close I could take my wife to see elk or mule deer. Also, would like to visit archery shops.
Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-07 AT 08:15AM (MST)[p]You're in luck, for viewing and hearing elk bugle you can take I25 north to Bernalillo, then take 550 west to San Ysidro. Take a right onto state road 4 and that will take you to the Valle. Takes about 2 hours one way and once you pass Jemez Springs you should start seeing mulies off the road (if it's after work in the evening). It might seem a bit far but for hearing and seeing elk it's worth it. Best time is in the evening, should see some rutting activity.

I noticed in your post you stated "close", by NM standards that is pretty close.

Take Care,
--Bill

Just to add some more details, driving up to the Valle Grande in the Valles Caldera National Preserve, is probably worth the trip. Early morning or late afternoon you're likely to see 500 elk, but bring some binocs.

Probably make it there in under 2 hrs, just don't speed through Jemez Springs, aka speed trap.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-07 AT 04:58PM (MST)[p]Take the tram to the top of the Sandias......evening. You might see some deer. Even if you don't, you will see a big chunk of NM. ITs a way cool ride and there is a decent restuarant on top. Jimbo

Also if you want to visit some archery shops,go to the Archery shoppe at 2910 Carlisle Blvd. Mark and Gina will take good of you! As for sight seeing the the Valles Caldera and valle Grande are the places to go!Have fun!

~Coolarrow

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom