wall tent tips

muleyhunter413

I bought myself a wall tent to use this year and I would love to hear any tips or tricks you experienced guys have learned. I remember reading a post like this last year but was unable to find it. Any input is very much appreciated. Happy hunting!

No matter what u water treat it with, tarp it as a rain/snow fly. And make sure it's absolutely dry before storing. Use a woodburner to get the full benefit.

When leaving tent unattended for more than a few hours, do not leave any food in the tent if you are camping in a known bear area. It helps to urinate all around the tent as much as possible. Try not to pee on the canvas.

Don't leave your tent unattended for more than one day, you may come back to find your tent stolen with all your cots,sleeping bags and camping equipment gone. Happened to me a couple years ago. I now camp/hunt in a trailer. Good luck with your new tent.

Avoid using propane heaters in the tent for heat. They will create condensation on the inside walls and can get everything wet inside the tent. Wood stoves for heat in a wall tent is the way to go.

Waterproof it during the Hot days of summer.I use a bug sprayer and it seems to work pretty good.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Throw a tarp over the top, ensures you stay dry in severe wet conditions, plus the snow slides off way easier.

We use propane and it is way easier than running a wood stove. Instant heat, Instant cool down with no worries about something starting a fire once you leave in the morning to hunt. The propane keeps us dry and warm, can bring one of the oxygen sensors to keep safe however we have never had an issue. Only takes 1 time though...

We put down the outdoor carpeting, much nicer in there with that down.

Mouse traps are always nice to keep the critter numbers down. Also do not put your cot right against the support poles if they are wood. We used to till a mouse climbed the pole, jumped on my dad's cot and then tried to crawl into his mouth while he was sleeping! Was the funniest thing ever to see him freaking out at 2am, lol

Bring some small rope to tie between rafters, gives you a clothes line to dry clothes on. Also, use the "tall" cots, then you can shove your tubs that hold clothes/gear under them to conserve space.

We never "snap" the clips on the outside of the door, cause that is the perfect indicator that says "no one is hear" enter at your own pleasure. If there is a truck out front and just the zipper closing it, I feel people are way less likely to try and enter tent.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

+1 mntman especially the outdoor carpeting. I lay a section out in front of the door to keep as much mud outside as possible.

This year I added an 8 foot section of framing so I can create a canopy over the front door. Hope to keep it a little dryer coming and going. I know canopies are an issue in the wind, so a quick removal plan will need to be implemented (still learning too.)

I have both wood burning and a propane three burner heater. Propane's for fast heat, and morning heat. I like the wood heat for night time and long inclement weather days.

Sure is nice to snap the lighter and have instant propane heat on cold mornings.

I owned an 18' canvas lodge (teepee) for many years. A great system but not so easy to transport. Lots of fun and good times with my kids, Momma.........not so much! Had a few wrecks in that too......... I'll just say this, open fires can be an interesting companion!

All the best, mostly, whatever your in, tent, trailer, teepee, or a cave, have fun and be safe.

DC

Definitely go with a floor.

Another tip is if you have access to coal, get some. Its cheap and burns for a long time.

6323pa110004shrunk1.jpg

Heavy poly tarp 6 feet longer than tent, supported by horizontal pole coming out of tent frame, center joint used @ door end of tent ridge. Side ropes of tarp are staked out wide enough to keep tarp 2" above tent roof except @ peak. Floor is another poly tarp w edges folded under, w carpet scrap over that. Boy scout trench along back and sides of tent.

6857pa110005shrunk1.jpg

10x12' tent, good for 2, doable w 3. That is a propane heater by lantern in back w 20# tank inside. It works well @ 9.5K elev in CO. Door closes w ties, I leave a gap @ the bottom for ventilation, along w gaps along the bottom and the openings for log ridgepole @ either end of the peak. I hang a blanket right behind the front door for a wind barrier, hanging from tent rafter poles by binder clips. It adds warmth. We don't use heater while asleep, just good bags and quilt as pictured.

I LOVE wall tent camps. With carpet on the floor and the right gear you can make an extremely comfortable camp. It it takes a lot of gear and takes a while to set up. Sometimes it's easier to take a trailer.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom