Wall tents

IdahoSmitty

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a good wall tent. I wanted some advise on what to look for, or what you experienced wall tenters have to say. I am looking for a either a 12x14 or a 14x16. I would not be packing the tent in but rather driving it to a camping spot. I want a wall tent so my wife and new daughter have a warm, dry, and safe place to camp while I'm hunting. I have looked over a few companies that make them like Davis tent, yakima tent, canvas cabins, and montana canvas tents. So my questions to you are.....

Is there any particular company that anyone has had a great experience with?
Internal or traditional external frame?
Are there any must haves like a window, colorado door, mesh bug screen etc
Stove pipe out the top of the tent or side?
Is there anything that you would do different if you were going to buy a new wall tent?
Is there anything ways to save money like cutting your own studs and rafters out of emt conduit?
any cool homemade ideas you guys have came up with?

Any information would be great, I just want to hear some different perspectives so I can make a smart purchase. THank you in advance, Smitty

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-11 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]14x16 Davis (go one size bigger than you think you'll need).
Screened front door and windows in the back and on both sides for ventilation on late summer/early fall hunts.
Colorado door.
Internal frame. I ordered their angle kit and bought 1" EMT locally and cut it according to the cut list they provided.
My stove pipe is run out the roof, but I'd probably go out the wall if I were doing it again, as it'd make it a little easier to tarp the tent.

Watch Davis' web-page because they run specials throughout the year (just missed the majority of their annual "Scratch & Dent" sale).

antelope1.jpg

antelope2.jpg

antelope3.jpg

Wanted to add, whatever you do, DO NOT buy a tent from Western Wall Tents! Biggest POS I've ever seen in my life! Stick with Davis, Montana (Cabela's), Cylinder Stove, AAA Tent (Kirkham's), Colorado Tent Co., Denver Tent & Awning, etc.

Cabelas Alaknak! This thing is awesome. I recently took it up for a steelhead trip and we had a microburst come through that ripped a couple roofs off of different structures. The tent withstood the crazy high winds and stood through the whole storm. We have had rain, snow, you name it we have been through it in the Alaknak. We throw the stove in when it gets cold or open the vents when its hot. My wife loves the fact that it has a floor in it and the kids can run around without rolling in the dirt. Good luck in your search...

I think Foreman pretty much covered it.
Davis and Kwik Kamp are two good manufacturers that have regular specials.
I agree going one size larger than you think you need. I have a 16x20, and absolutley love it.
Definately by a frame kit and cut your own conduit, much cheaper, and real easy, just a little time consuming.
I think cylinder stoves or kwik kamp stoves are the best choice.
I bought new military stakes off of e-bay, and wish I had purchased them years ago.
Also, check craigslist, I got my tent (body only) for $375, and it retails for $1100.
Good luck, you're gonna love it once you get it.

I have 3 wall tents, all made by Kirkham's:

1- 16x20

1- 16x20 w/ roll up side.

1- 14x16 w/10' awning.

All 3 have cabin frames.

While the 16x20 tents are very comfortable and spacious and I typically set both up and use one for sleeping and the other for a mess tent and somewhere to play the guitars and swap a lie when the weather isn't conducive to sitting around a camp fire.

I get much more use out of the smaller tent. The awning is great and gets quite a bit of use. With the bigger tents, when using just one, I set a kitchen up inside, with the smaller, I set the kitchen up under the awning and have a common area with chairs etc. I also extend one of the sides with a large tarp that runs the entire length of the tent and awning. Makes for a great storage area.

Lastly, while setting the big tents up is doable with 2 people, 3 is definitely preferred. If I have to, I can set the smaller tent up solo.

http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org

be prepared for mice :) We didn't want a floor in ours so what we did was find some outdoor carpet on clearance and have two pieces that we lay out. It is way nice to wake up in your socks and walk around. Reason we went with carpet is weight, and doesn't matter if it tears or gets wet.

I made a internal frame for ours, it saved us about 6 or 700 dollars. I welded up some metal "corners" for the peak, and where the roof meets the wall. In between them we run 2x2's about 3 1/2' apart. They look like some bent up "X's" cause I got 2x2's going between them too for the spaceing.
We bring an extra 2x2 with us in case one breaks and another to prop up under the ridge line in case we expect a snowstorm (10" or more in a few hours).

Our tent is 14x17 and is usually just two of us. Yes it is big but when we do have 4 or 5 people hunting we still have room for them.

Also, I have set mine up by myself. I put the rafters together, then put the wall posts in. After the frame is up I use one of the spare 2x2's as a push pull. I also throw the rope over the top to help hold it as I Push the tent over the top. It takes me about an hour to set it with 1 other person and about 90 minutes by myself.

As for stove, we use propane. Way easy to light and get heat instantly, takes up less space, no need to cut a ass-ton of firewood, plus you don't have to worry about your tent burning down when you leave or having to deal with putting the fire out prior to leaving.
Careful at night with propane, if you leave it on, ensure the vents are open and you get a burner with the oxygen sensor. If you are smart and careful you will never have an issue with it.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I've got a 35 gallon barrel stove, one of my friends has a self feeding pellet stove. If I had the money, I'd get one of the pellet stoves in a heartbeat. One bag of pellets lasts all night, no waking to stoke the fire, and keeps it a comfy 65 degrees in the tent.

Not to throw water on the fire....but for the cost of a wall tent and stove. I think your wife would be more comfortable in a old travel trailer. A heater, fridge, a floor to keep the critters out.
If you are just going drive to a spot and set up,it seems like an idea. I know my wife complained about camping in a trailer. With kids it was ever tougher in a tent.
But you have to start some where. We went from sleeping in the back of my truck with a shell to tents, to Terry tarus trailer. Now we have a big toy hauler and a cabin to stay in. I guess it a evolving kinda of thing.
Oh and by the way we have the Cabelas Alaknak tent with a cylinder stove.
good luck

Thanks guys for the good info. Keep it coming!

Foreman--That is exactly the set up I am looking for!

Bigjohn- I tried to talk her into us buying one of those new popup tent trailers w/ the cargo area on the tongue. But at around 10,000$ new I think that will be something that we work up to. Even the cheaper travel trailers and pop up tent trailers would be perfect but I kind of want a wall tent for me and the guys as well as the family. Plus you cant get much better than falling asleep to the sound of the stove poppin! I'll probably end up doing like you did and work up to a travel trailer.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-11 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]Here is the tent my friend has for hunting, this was taken back in 1992/93 not sure when we set the tent up at Moose Flat Campground in the Greys River area.
2283img_0008.jpg

The one thing he did have changed for the next season was having metal tabs welded on the bottom of leg poles to step on while extending them up to the desired height needed. I use to have a large blue tarp that we used for the flooring.
Yea you sure could hear the field mice scurring across the tarp while we were laying in our cots. DECON TOOK CARE OF THEM...WE BOUGHT OUT ALL THAT WAS IN THE STORE IN ALPINE THAT SEASON...LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Owned and used Davis tents for well over a decade. They are tough as nails. Get one with a stove jack and a couple zipperd windows and you are set. I prefer the external frames. They set up much easier on unlevel ground.

AHHHH Kilowat! The Grey's.....you just brought back so many memories of that beautiful place!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

>AHHHH Kilowat! The Grey's.....you just
>brought back so many memories
>of that beautiful place!
>
>

Hell, Kilo and Eel settled the Greys.....lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

MONTANA CANVAS are great wall tents. got a 12x10 4' wall that is 15 years old and still trucking away. and a 12x14 5' wall one to. 5' wall is much better than the 4' wall

Yes, 5' is way better than a 4' wall, you will enjoy the extra head room and being able to hang clothes to dry with out ducking the entire time..
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

foreman has the setup you want, for sure get at least the 14x16 espacially if the fam is going along. its a good all around size, get the colorado door with the screen they are nice for keeping the bugs out. only other thing i would do different from foreman's is have them cut in a door in a door in the back of the tent, its kinda nice if you need to slip out quietly at night or something, and it might make it easier if you ever wanted to hook your tent to another. maybe think about having a floor put in it, wind can get under the sides and bring sand and stuff in if your not in good ground to stake it down solid. other than that its home away from home if you do it right. good luck

I have had 12x14 Magnum ,12x14 Montana and a 14x16 Davis
By far the Davis tent is the best.
The best advise I can give you is don't make the common mistake of getting the basic internal frame.They take way to long to set up and are a constant pain.
Check out the traditional pole system from Davis tent It only take one person to set up in about 30 minutes.
A 12x14 Is big enough for 4 people If you have more kids then that I would recommend a 14x16
Get the screen door and window in the back if you plan on using your tent in the summer

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-11 AT 01:33AM (MST)[p]Cabela's Alaknak 12X20. Five 4X4X12 and some 1/2 inch plywood cut to fit. I can set this camp in 2 hours.

942116.jpg

8623118.jpg

9167117.jpg

If you are in the Treasure Valley area stop into Thunder Mountain tent and canvas in Nampa. They will make you any size of tent with any option you want and the quality is excellent. It is well worth it to spend an extra couple hundred dollars up front to get your tent outfitted with some certain things like a sod cloth, window with a screen, and a roll up flap to go over your stove pipe hole when not in use and whatever else you want. Also get a size bigger than what you think you will need. I bought the angles and cut the conduit to fit which saved $. I should have welded up the angles myself since I have a metal business anyway but its one of those things I guess where its more worth it to buy it than put the time into it. Also get a 5' wall instead of the 4' wall. 5' is much nicer. Mine is a 15x17 and I can set it up in 45 minutes by myself.

> Does anyone have any experience
>with this tent? All
>the reviews look good.
>
>http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...=SBC;MMcat104794380;cat104779080;cat105517980

Don't waste your money! My cousin had one we took on a Bookcliffs pronghorn hunt a couple years ago and it was the noisiest piece of crud I've ever TRIED to sleep in! The wind blew like crazy and the center pole didn't survive one night! The other problem with Nylon (Alaknak included) is they don't breathe anywhere near as well as good old canvas and you'll experience condensation. BTDT.

one thing i suggest with canvas, during our elk hunting season with all the rain and snow we put tarps over the roof so the snow slides off. the snow can really add some weight without the tarp. and at the end of season when it comes time pack up if it is wet it adds so much weight to the tent and makes harder on our horses

davis tents are the only way to go.

make sure its big enough and that you get all the options you want.

my first tent was a 14x16 with one door and one window.

my second tent had a screen door on one side and a zipper on the other to hook up with my other tent plus one window don't skimp on the options you will regret it in the long run.

Geez, i have the same tent minus the plywood, the plywood looks awesome!!! I think i will go get some myself. All this camp showing stuff has me crawling out of my bed with cabin fever!!! Is winter ever going to end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty,

Another vote for Thunder Mountain in Nampa. They have all the answers and make a good product.

Trailers are something to consider with wife and kids. They have a shower and a toilet. Every other advantage goes to wall tents; warmer, easier to haul, more room, easier to store, easier to resell, they don't break.

My wife won't stay in tent. I sold the trailer.

Go with the Davis Tents as everyone suggests. I purchased the 14X16 also and love it. I had doors put in both ends, windows in both sides and screens in all of them. I can use the tent in the summer with the family and extra door and screens help out airflow. Also I got the cylinder stove package and it works excellent.

Do yourself a favor and call Davis tents and just talk to them. When I was looking at all the different ones I called and they where a wealth of information. I also was going to purchase the internal frame but they talked me into going with the external traditional frame and it was much cheaper......

Another vote for Davis 14x16. I bought mine used in 1995 and it was probably 8 years old then making it now 24 years old and still in great shape. The cylinder stove is now 16 years old and going strong. Just make sure to always let it dry thoroughly before rolling it up and putting away. I got lazy one year and put it away with the bottom edges damp and it got mildew'd.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-11 AT 10:24PM (MST)[p]Someone else mentioned the option of a camper or trailer and for the small family or a couple guys, at the risk of getting off topic, i'd also highly recommend not the tent but think of getting a camper or trailer instead.

Bear proof, built in stove, fridge, lockable doors for more security, forced heating with thermostat, built in cabinets and storage, they're cleaner, great bunks, some have toilets and showers, much easier to break down and relocate, and it holds value if you buy used and right. The advantages go on and on IMO.

I see great hunting trailers all the time for a couple grand. I bought my pop-up cab over camper for $800.

Tents no doubt have their place for the long term camp with a good sized group, but, from reading the OP's statement, i feel that going with a used but decent camper or trailer might be the better all around option. Just a thought!

Joey

Since I'm in the RV business and have also used wall tents I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

RV Pro's

1)Set up and take down is much quicker and easier than a wall tent
2)Everything is self contained. You shouldn't have to pack stoves, fuel, or anything else.
3)You can set them up on uneven ground and still have a level floor (i.e. dig out the tires).
4)RV's are much more secure than a tent.You can lock stuff up and not worry about it being stolen while your out hunting
5)Most are rodent proof
6)You can sleep a little better when the wind blows
7)They have a lot more comforts of home than a wall tent.

RV Con's

1)They cost 4-10 times what a good wall tent will cost.
2)RV's do not have very good wear and tear especially when used for hunting.
3)The money you will spend on fuel will be signifcantly more than if you weren't pulling a trailer.
4)Repair costs on an RV will be 4-5 times more than a repair on a wall tent.
5)The roughness of roads and terrain will limit you to certain campsites.
6)Failure to winterize can require very costly repairs
7)Very time consuming to clean

Wall Tent Pro's

1)Plenty of elbow room.
2)You have the ability to set up a sleeping and eating configuration that works for your group size.
3)Can be packed in on mules or horses
4)Can access more remote campsites with a truck.
5)Repairs are fairly inexpensive and less frequent
6)You don't have to winterize a wall tent.
7)Can be heated by wood fuel of which there is usually a indefinte surplus in most hunting areas.

Wall Tent Con's

1) Setting up a wall tent camp can be very extensive and time consuming
2) Tent can not be put away wet, which usually means setting it up at home once the hunt is over
3) A little draftier than a RV
4) no self containment which means you have to pack tables, chairs, stoves, stove fuel, cots pads, ect ect. The list is extensive.
5)Since there is no cupboard space it's a little harder to keep things clean and tidy.
6)Insulation is not nearly as good as an RV
7)If you are heating a wall tent with a wood stove it usually means restocking the fire many times during the night.

Conclusion: For summer camp trips with the family where road access is very good I much prefer the RV. It's a home away from home. I also like the RV on early season hunts where access is good and there is only 2-3 guys. It's amazing the wear and tear 6-7 hunters can have on a trailer. Not to mention it will smell like an out house for months after the trip. And if your the guy that volunteers your RV for the hunt, your likely going to end up cleaning it out and emptying the $hitter yourself. Not to mention footing the bill for all the repairs.
For fall hunts, when we get a fairly large group together, and there is usually horses involved, we much prefer the cabin tent. There is just something nostalgic about a white cabin tent set against a back drop of golden aspen leaves, the aroma of wood smoke, and the sound of bugling elk that make it the total package.

Any who....that my 2 cents

LAST EDITED ON May-02-11 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]sageadvice,

I wish I had pics to share of my buddy's camper from a few years back.. A bear got on top of it and peeled the top of it open like a sardine can to get a bag of apples my buddy had in there..This bear also went through our tent (he made his own door,wish he would have used the zipper'd door) destroyed a few ice chest's , ate just about all the food we had around and chewed on a lot of un etable items like propane bottles and a tube of silicone...I'm assuming the silicone and propane bottle is what caused him to also eat a full bottle of Tums antacids...

I was funny hiking the hills after that cause I would see his scat, I new it was his cause it was bright orange from the 3 bags of Dorito's chips he ate...

This bear caused a lot of trouble and scared a lot of folks that dear season but eventually met S&W and his 6 buddies..lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom