Walleye in Strawberry ??

Just gotta follow the timeline when big fish started their decline= the start of year round fishing season.
I can appreciate you wanting to fish more but catch smaller fish, I’m just saying we can’t have it both ways is all.

But the reality is that in the water world, excess fish does not allow for fish to grow big. This isn’t like the fairy tale bessy has created in his head about 17,000 bull elk on the Wasatch with 13,000 of them being over 400 inches.

Cutting out the ice fishing season out alone will undoubtedly result in more fish in the lake. More fish in the lake means more competition for food, and less size overall. That’s how it works. Unless the food source is increased at a larger clip, but that isn’t happening.

You might be correct on the timeline on the “decline” of big fish. Increasing the number of fish in Strawberry is not going to facilitate a reversal in that.

So less fishing opportunity for even smaller fish is what I think would happen if your plan was adopted. Put me down as a “nay” for that system.

But the reality is that in the water world, excess fish does not allow for fish to grow big. This isn’t like the fairy tale bessy has created in his head about 17,000 bull elk on the Wasatch with 13,000 of them being over 400 inches.

Cutting out the ice fishing season out alone will undoubtedly result in more fish in the lake. More fish in the lake means more competition for food, and less size overall. That’s how it works. Unless the food source is increased at a larger clip, but that isn’t happening.

You might be correct on the timeline on the “decline” of big fish. Increasing the number of fish in Strawberry is not going to facilitate a reversal in that.

So less fishing opportunity for even smaller fish is what I think would happen if your plan was adopted. Put me down as a “nay” for that system.
What about getting rid of the slot limit? Are there too many cuts in there and are they depleting the food source and losing girth? Less fish equals bigger fish. Just posing the question. Or would this be a disaster?

What about getting rid of the slot limit? Are there too many cuts in there and are they depleting the food source and losing girth? Less fish equals bigger fish. Just posing the question. Or would this be a disaster?

The slot limit was put in place because that 17-22 inch size of bear lake cutthroat trout was intended to be the primary predator for chub. That size of fish is what is needed to be able to effectively eat chub and control them naturally.

Some may dispute whether that has worked or not, but my opinion is without the slot limit, Strawberry would be full of nothing but rough fish and not viable as a fishery at all today. I think the slot limit is the single reason we still have a viable fishery. Chubs are nasty little buggers that are impossible to remove and difficult to control. I think the cutts have done a pretty good job considering what the situation would be if they were not there.

Sure, a predator higher on the food chain would also help eat them, but those predators may just take a liking to the trout and leave the chub alone as well. I mentioned above that if biologists felt they needed to get a better handle on the chubs, tiger muskie and wipers are a better idea than walleye. They are sterile, so if you decide you don't want any more of them, you just simply stop planting them and over time, they go away. This is what is happening at Scofield, and I think they are seeing some positive impact, although nothing is ever going to "solve" the chub problem.

Oh They're moving there Alright!

Somebody Wanna Check Nillers Creel For A Mini Live-Well?:D

You Guys Are Almost there!

THINK JUST A LITTLE HARDER!

It Took A Few years After They Poisoned Strawberry For The Bigger Fish To reach Some Potential!

But I'll Admit It Was Perty Damn Good Fishing There For A Few Years For Them BIGGER GUTLESS CUTTS!

Pound For Pound The Weakest Fighting Fish I've Ever Caught!

And What Happens When A Fishery Gets Good?

It Gets Hit Hard!

One Of The Trips To Strawberry That Sticks In My Mind:

My Dad,My Son, My Niece & Me Went To Strawberry During What I Call The PEAK Time After They Poisoned Strawberry!

We Caught Alot Of Fish That Day!

We All Decided We Were Gonna Keep One Fish Each That Day,They Were Big Enough That One Fish Would Feed Each Family And the Rest Were Released!

It Took All DAMN Day & I Garnered The PISSCUTTER Of The Take Home Fish That Day with A 29" CUTT!

The Rest Of Them Were CUTTS As Well,2 that Were 30"ER'S & The Other Was a 31"ER!

I'd Say These Were All Of The First CUTTS That Were Re-Planted After The Poison Took Place!

Yes,We Caught Mostly Smaller Fish That Day Than The Fish We Took Home,But We Also Caught Alot Of Fish That Were Damn Nice & Woulda Broke Todays Slot Easily!

I Still Don't Think Most Of You Realize How BAD The CHUB Problem Is?

I Don't Think They Could Poison It Again Even If The Wanted To?

In Todays World You'd Have People SCREAMING:

It'll Kill The KOKANEE!

It'll Kill The Rainbows!

It'll Kill A Protected Species Of CHUBS!

DAMN SURE WILL & I Wouldn't Lose Any Sleep Over It!

Who The Hell knows What All's In Their Species Wise Now?

When Me & My Brothers Were Younger We Pulled BROOK Trout Out Of Strawberry (Pre-Poison!) That'd Make Niller WEEP!

Then Of Course Somebody Planted Craw-Dad's In There Years Later!

Them SON'S A BITTCHES Have Been Illegally Stocked In Just About All Utah Waters!

There is so much food in Strawberry even the Walleye are moving there!

The slot limit was put in place because that 17-22 inch size of bear lake cutthroat trout was intended to be the primary predator for chub. That size of fish is what is needed to be able to effectively eat chub and control them naturally.

Some may dispute whether that has worked or not, but my opinion is without the slot limit, Strawberry would be full of nothing but rough fish IT ISN'T WHETHER THERE ARE MAYBE TOO MANY ROUGH FISH IN STRAWBERRY,IT'S LOADED & IF YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME THAT MIGHT REQUIRE RIDE # 2! and not viable as a fishery at all today. I think the slot limit is the single reason we still have a viable fishery. Chubs are nasty little buggers that are impossible to remove and difficult to control. I think the cutts have done a pretty good job considering what the situation would be if they were not there.

Sure, a predator higher on the food chain would also help eat them, but those predators may just take a liking to the trout and leave the chub alone as well. I mentioned above that if biologists felt they needed to get a better handle on the chubs, tiger muskie and wipers are a better idea than walleye. They are sterile, so if you decide you don't want any more of them, you just simply stop planting them and over time, they go away. This is what is happening at Scofield, and I think they are seeing some positive impact, although nothing is ever going to "solve" the chub problem.

Who is going to pay for your poisoning mission, bessy? You going to pony up the cash? A rotenone treatment of Strawberry isn't happening again.

As for the bolded part above: "IT ISN'T WHETHER THERE ARE MAYBE TOO MANY ROUGH FISH IN STRAWBERRY,IT'S LOADED & IF YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME THAT MIGHT REQUIRE RIDE # 2!"

You really need to start reading better, or just quit making crap up. Either way I'm good! I said it would be full on "ONLY" rough fish. The slot has made it so that is not the case. If you don't believe me, no ride in the world with fix your problems.

I Don't Think You Realize How Many Rough Fish Are In Strawberry Now?

And I Guess You Didn't Read Above Where I Said Poisoning Isn't Happening Again?

Unless They Come Up With A Different Solution Rather Than Rotenone!

Who is going to pay for your poisoning mission, bessy? You going to pony up the cash? A rotenone treatment of Strawberry isn't happening again.

As for the bolded part above: "IT ISN'T WHETHER THERE ARE MAYBE TOO MANY ROUGH FISH IN STRAWBERRY,IT'S LOADED & IF YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME THAT MIGHT REQUIRE RIDE # 2!"

You really need to start reading better, or just quit making crap up. Either way I'm good! I said it would be full on "ONLY" rough fish. The slot has made it so that is not the case. If you don't believe me, no ride in the world with fix your problems.

So you acknowledge that isn't a viable solution, and you're only here to complain?

Shocker, I tell ya. This is the shocker of the century! Here I thought Bessy was about actual solutions and not just pizzing and moaning all the time! (Said nobody...EVER!)

Some Chubs are needed in Strawberry to provide a food source.
I have not seen the Redside Shiners in there for many, many years.
I assume the Cutts cleaned them out first?

Hey Niller!

I'll SPLAIN It For The 15TH F'N Time!

Strawberry Needs Poisoning Again!

There Ain't Enough Rotenone To Do It Last I Heard!

You Must Fish Just Like You Hunt?

When The Big Fish Are Down To Nothing But PISSCUTTERS You'll Still Be Waltzing Around & Parading Them Like They're Some Kinda Trophy!

You Claim Breaking The SLOT Is Almost Impossible!

But You Don't Wanna Give Anything Up That Would Help The Situation!

If They Hadn't Done Something With Your SECRET SPOT Several Years Ago,What Do You Think That Might Be Today?

So you acknowledge that isn't a viable solution, and you're only here to complain?

Shocker, I tell ya. This is the shocker of the century! Here I thought Bessy was about actual solutions and not just pizzing and moaning all the time! (Said nobody...EVER!)

How Do You Control "SOME"?

Them CHUBS Over Populate Too Quick!

And Now We've Had A CHUB Issue For A Long Damn Time!

All You Can Hope For Is The Walleye Clean House!

Nobody-else Is Gonna Do It!

But After They Clean House It Gets Ugly!

These DRATS Do As They DAMN WELL Please When It Comes To Transplanting Fish!

To My Knowledge I've Never Heard Of Anybody Being Cited For It?

So We'll Ask The KING Niller?

Anybody Been Cited For It Niller?

And What Were The Penalties?

Some Chubs are needed in Strawberry to provide a food source.
I have not seen the Redside Shiners in there for many, many years.
I assume the Cutts cleaned them out first?

Once again, you either are incapable of reading, or you are lying. I never claimed breaking the slot is almost impossible. My first pic I shared in the other thread I started is a fish that broke the slot just this past spring. First fish I caught that day even! I break the slot multiple times every year, and I don't fish the Berry nearly as much a ton of folks do, so I can only guess they are breaking the slot regularly as well.

I really wish you'd quit making crap up so you can claim fake victory in an argument you don't even understand.

Percentage wise, fish that break the slot are small. But as I've now said multiple times in this very thread, that is how it was designed to be. That doesn't mean it is almost impossible to catch them. I've caught many of them. Don't project your inabilities on to the rest of us!

And no, I don't believe your 29 inch cutt without a picture because I know how utterly full of crap you are on this stuff! I'll reiterate, your memory is so good it tells you things that never happened.

Once again, you either are incapable of reading, or you are lying. I never claimed breaking the slot is almost impossible. My first pic I shared in the other thread I started is a fish that broke the slot just this past spring. First fish I caught that day even! I break the slot multiple times every year, and I don't fish the Berry nearly as much a ton of folks do, so I can only guess they are breaking the slot regularly as well.

I really wish you'd quit making crap up so you can claim fake victory in an argument you don't even understand.

Percentage wise, fish that break the slot are small. But as I've now said multiple times in this very thread, that is how it was designed to be. That doesn't mean it is almost impossible to catch them. I've caught many of them. Don't project your inabilities on to the rest of us!

And no, I don't believe your 29 inch cutt without a picture because I know how utterly full of crap you are on this stuff! I'll reiterate, your memory is so good it tells you things that never happened.
Now only if we let the mule deer get bigger

Gonna Tell You One More F'N Time!

Mine Was 29" & Mine Was The PISSCUTTER Of The Take Homes!

But You;re The Best Fisherman in The Whole World Because You Break The SLOT Everytime You Go To Strawberry & Several Members That Posted Above On This Thread & The Other Berry Thread Catch Alot Of Fish But Seldom Break The SLOT Now Days!

You Are The KING!

Keep JACKIN Your JAW!

Post # 28 Niller:

Anybody on this thread know how to catch a 22” plus cutthroat? Me and a couple buddies made a half dozen trips in the boat this summer and probably caught over 300 fish but not one over 22”

They can’t all die at 20” Wondering about fishing with a 10” chub or live crayfish. Just haven’t been able to crack the code

If These Guys Can't Break The SLOT In 300 Fish I Think You Need To Help Them With Your Professional Knowledge!

Then They Could Break The SLOT Everytime They Go To Strawberry Just Like You Do!

I Myself Must Of Forgot How To Break The SLOT As Well In Recent Years!

Maybe We Should All Plan On THE RIDE # 2 To See How It's Done Today!

Last edited:
But You;re The Best Fisherman in The Whole World Because You Break The SLOT Everytime You Go To Strawberry & Several Members That Posted Above On This Thread & The Other Berry Thread Catch Alot Of Fish But Seldom Break The SLOT Now Days!

You Are The KING!

Keep JACKIN Your JAW!

Wait, a few posts ago it was this! So...which is it? Am I the best fisherman ever that breaks the slot every time I go? Or do I claim that it's almost impossible to break the slot? I need to know which one of your made up BS I am supposed to reply to.

But You Don't Wanna Give Anything Up That Would Help The Situation!

You SWING Both Ways Niller!

Do You Believe Me There Is A CHUB Problem At Strawberry?

Wait, a few posts ago it was this! So...which is it? Am I the best fisherman ever that breaks the slot every time I go? Or do I claim that it's almost impossible to break the slot? I need to know which one of your made up BS I am supposed to reply to.

Just waiting to figure out which one of your made up arguments you attribute to me I’m supposed to reply to.

Complain, make up BS, complain, long for good old days he never had, complain some more, then make up some more BS.

That is what we call a Monday in bobcatbess’s world!

Hey Niller!

I Was Born Late!

But Not As Late As You!

You'd Hunt & Fish Every-thing Clear Down To Nothing Left Rather Trying To Make Some Changes For Some Improvements!

But OH The Opportunity!

Once Again You Don't Answer The Question!

DO YOU BELIEVE THERE IS A CHUB PROBLEM AT STRAWBERRY?

Just waiting to figure out which one of your made up arguments you attribute to me I’m supposed to reply to.

Complain, make up BS, complain, long for good old days he never had, complain some more, then make up some more BS.

That is what we call a Monday in bobcatbess’s world!

Now bessy wants to restrict who gets to fish the Berry! Maybe you can auction tags at your favorite expo?

Good heavens you say some really dumb stuff when you get fired up.

Old bobcatbess is the biggest drama queen on the internet.

He has to be fighting about something, so when there isn’t anything to fight about he makes stuff up.

Goodness bessy, get a grip man!

Hey Niller?

You Need Me To Play The WRONG Song For You Again?

You Know How F'N HARD-HEADED Niller Is?

Niller Will Argue With Himself,If That Tells You Anything!:D

If The Only Breed Of Fish Left In The Lake Are CHUBS And The Biggest CHUB In That Lake Is Only 3" Long He's Gonna Tell You How Good Things Are Because He's Still Got OPPORTUNITY To Try & Catch Them Chubs!🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old bobcatbess is the biggest drama queen on the internet.

He has to be fighting about something, so when there isn’t anything to fight about he makes stuff up.

Goodness bessy, get a grip man!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom