Wasatch Extended Elk (Layton area?)

archerycrazy

I am looking for a little guidance from fellow bowhunters. I currently live in St. George, but I have lived along the Wasatch Front. I have hunted the extended areas for deer in the past, but never for elk. I will be up north for several days after Thanksgiving, and have been considering bringing my archery elk tag and equipment along. I will be staying with the inlaws in the Layton area. Weather permitting of course (looking pretty shady right now)I was thinking about trudging up the mountains above Layton and doing a little hunting. The question I need answered is, is there an elk herd in the mountains above Layton, Fruit Heights etc. or are there primarily just deer in those areas? I don't want to waste my time if my chances of seeing an elk are none. If the elk in that area are few and far between how far might I need to travel to be in a possible elk area? Any guidance would be most appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

try city creek.

"...I got a shotgun, rifle, and a 4 wheel
drive, and a country boy can survive..."

Hank Williams Jr.

I have seen some elk on the front ranging from the North Ogden divide to Bountiful. I was watching a small herd last weekend 6 to 8 cows and a small raghorn 4x4 with them. They are there you just have put your time in and glass alot. Also don't forget about Parleys I've seen more elk in there than up north on the extended good luck if you plan on hunting Marc G

Spend some quality time glassing that area, and you may find a few. The problem will be getting up to them. The ones that winter on the front, usually stay as high as possible. So your looking at a 3,000ft hike in at least a foot of snow.
On the bright side, if you shoot one you can just use it as a sled for the trip down. :)

Just got back from Wasatch front and got 20yrds from 20 elk, 2 small bulls. Found another 30 elk on next ridge with a few spikes and rag horns. I only have deer tag. Still fun to see them.