Wasatch Goat area questions

awbmab

So I have a surprise, last minute Utah mountain goat tag. As a NR I can hunt Lone Peak, Box Elder Peak, Timp and Provo peak areas. I would love any info that anyone is willing to provide and I have some questions. In the different areas is there a better area for the quality of animal available? I understand they are all in rough country, but is there an area that has easier access? What are the best trailheads to access the areas. I will probably focus on Lone Peak so any info on that area would be much appreciated. Feel free to pm me, or email me at [email protected]
Thanks

There are goats on all the peaks and having been on them all I'd have to say that the best goats are on Timp. I probably wouldn't hunt Timp because of all the trekkers though. I think I'd have stage fright if I tried to shoot in front of an audience.

We saw a bunch on Boxelder peak when we were on the summit a month ago and my brother saw a bunch on Lone Peak when he climbed it on Saturday. My son ran Timp on Saturday and saw the goats in all the usual areas.

I think you're in for a great hunt and it should be one to remember for sure.

Zeke

Good!
You'll have a great hunt.
I'll be hunting goats with my wife at the same time, different unit but let me know if you want a couple access points to where we've always seen goats.

I'm glad to hear that you're pumped, you should be. They are a cool mountain animal and super fun to hunt. They'll take you places that few folks dare go.

Take your time with judging them. I can attest that it's not easy.

Zeke

You are in for a good hunt. My friends and family have shot goats off 3 of the units you can hunt. Send me an email through the link below and I will give you some info. (I don't check PMs often enough on here)

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:43?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:26?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:10?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:09?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:08?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:07?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 08:03?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 07:58?PM (MST)

318012.jpg
LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 07:57?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 07:49?PM (MST)

485017.jpg
LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 07:47?PM (MST)

3042014.jpg
LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-12 AT 07:45?PM (MST)
6404005.jpg

I shot mine on timp and for the most part its a easy hunt other than hiking all your crap up the mountain. Its almost too easy. I learned allot and if you want to get a hold of me... let me know. Here is where I shot mine. I shot from the building up to the rocks(Top pic) you can still see goats in the rocks.(this was the small group he was in.) Heck if I had two tags and a sling shot it would have been almost that easy.

I looked over the group and picked one that wouldn't fall and break it up too much. I shot it laying down at 350 yards and he rolled over. I then drug down to the ice and shade to skin and cut up while hikers passed me. If you look up top of (pic3)there is the shelter(top of Timp). People were yelling after I shot it. I got the worst looks and looks of distain from most of the people on the way down. But, I did have one hippie want to take a pic. oh well.. heck if you need I can get gps cords if needed.It wasn't the biggest but was plenty happy 9inch but not as old as I have learned now and would have changed tactics.
1513293184_10150335197997958_1308672599_n.jpg

you get the idea (went about like this)
get up early and just listen for falling rocks and pic out a solo goat or no more than 2 traveling together Those will be the big boys. I could have shot two like these but the fall was over 400 ft . You can hike up and kil a goat in a few hours but take more time!

wow,nice goat.....congrads. sweet pics. you went above and beyond with the map,thats real good of you

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

awb,
You made the right choice and you are going to have a great time. I would, however recommend you immediately get in shape, if you are not already. You are undoubtedly aware that these goats live in nasty places and all your areas require a good hike or horse ride to get very close. I think if you keep pumping the resources here on MM, you will get all the help you need.
I am very excited for you and hope you will post up your results.

Cool report and pics Mr MilliGun!
Thanks for sharing yur success with us and your willingness to help the OP.
Zeke

If you don't have time to get in shape and have a ATV I have a spot for you to try. There is always goats in there. I'm a new guy on mm so not sure how the pm works but you can email me if you would like more info. [email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom