Wasatch Muzzy help...

SlimShedy

Heard a lot of negative about this hunt because of all the extra cow permits this year. I still think it's gotta be a good hunt for a guy willing to put in the time and effort. Any positive info would be much appreciated. Sounds like quite a few other guys on here have the same tag. Maybe we'll see you on the mountain. Good luck to all.

I wouldnt worry about the extra cow tags, there are only two sub units on the wasatch where you can buy the extra control tags, other then that most of the antlerless numbers have stayed the same in the past.

The reason for the extra tags is because the population is increasing to fast and the unit is over objective. Also there are fewer early rifle tags this year then in past years so the way I see it there will be about an additional 80-100 bulls for the muzz hunt.

ARROWHNTR....That's the kind of info I like to hear. Makes me feel better already. Which two sub units are the cow tags available in?

hogg_65...Kinda figured Currant Creek would get pounded but not sure where Buffalo is. I've spent a lot of time hunting deer on the unit but it is so big that I don't it as well as I'd like. By the end of summer I should have a pretty good feel for it.

Thanks for the info guys. Did a little more research and found the two sub unit boundaries. They cover a pretty good part of the unit including a couple canyons I wanted to hunt. May have to come up with a "Plan B". Any more info would be great.

It is a huge unit and there are definitely areas that get hit harder than others. I have spent many years on the Currant Creek side but found some big bulls up in the Strawberry area. My neighbors killed a 370 and a 350 bull on the rifle hunts in the last 3 years in the Strawberry area, although they won't tell me where. I don't have much up to date info on the unit as I have spent the last couple years hunting southern Utah but you should have an awesome hunt there during the muzzy. Good luck and keep us posted.

www.biggamedrawodds.com

Foxskinner
Thanks for the positive feedback. Been up on the unit twice already. Once in the Currant Creek area and then up in the Buffalo Canyon area last weekend. Huge country and it all looks like prime elk country. Gonna be a fun summer and fall on the mountain one way or the other.

"Huge country and
>it all looks like prime
>elk country."

.....and therein lies the problem. It ALL looks good but it's not all the same.

It sounds like you're paying your dues to figure out a few things up there.

Your tag is THE best chance for a big bull. The dates really make your tag the one to have this year.

The Wasatch is a HUGE unit so don't get caught in the trap of chasing every rummor of you'll spend all your time driving and hiking rather than real hunting.

You're in for a real treat this year. There are still LOTS of good bulls (I've seen several after the hunts) and your dates are killer!

Zeke

Zeke
Thanks for the reply and your time.

The research and scouting is half the fun. I only live about 30 minutes from the northern border of the unit so I'll be up there almost every weekend. The dates for the hunt couldn't get much better and I'm Hoping the elk and the weather will cooperate. Any other info on general areas to look into would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Thanks again hogg_65

I appreciate you pointing me in that direction. The wife and kids and I just went for a wheeler ride up there again last Sunday. Gonna put on the boots this weekend and do a little hiking. Check it out a little closer.

Remember that those crowds will sometime sent those elk heading to the next Big Canyon the secert is to be in front of them and wait for them to come by.
Hunt the saddles.
You will get a feel on where they head to during the archery hunt and you just might find one of those saddles to sit in.
Good Luck

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gotta love hearing bugles in June. Went up and did some scouting this weekend and got in the middle of a big herd of cows and calves just before dark. The calves were making all kinds of noise and chasin' each other all over the place. In the middle of it all I heard Three different bugles(more of a young bull squeal)from an unseen elk. I know they're always vocal but I've never heard that this time of year. Whatever it was, it got my blood pumping a little bit.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom