Water hole hunting for mule deer.

R

Reflex_Shooter

I have this water hole that i go to in utah well it is more, like a spring. I have built this tree stand on it and i have sat on it quite a bit and i never have seen anything beside 2 points and does and my brother has seen a small four. This area has pleanty of big buck and so i was wondering if your experiences have been that they dont come in until it is dark or what.

I like to spot and stalk myself. If you are going to hunt water holes/tanks/springs etc. You sometimes have to wait several days for that big one to show up. The Deer can get their water intake from forage. I think I read somewhere out there that Deer can go 3-5 days without visiting the local watering hole and possibly longer if the forage is good. I think the key here is when during the day are they likely to show up then sit on that tank at that time until they they do.

Just my .02 cents...

Wait, wait, wait! If there is sign and a dry season you're sure to come up with something. Don't give up and like previously stated, it may take some time. The ones I've seen (not giants) have come in just before dark. Good luck!

There are lots of deer in there good size deer but the probalem is that every week for at least 2 days of the week i sat on it and all that i saw was a 2x3 the biggest. I know this area has a lot of deer cause this is where i go muzzloader huntin and me and my bro shot pretty decend buck and seen even bigger than we shot i just am starting to be convinced that they dont water up until it is pitch black.

The bigger bucks are probably watering at a water hole that you are not aware of. Probably in a more remote area, or they are coming in at night. Try a trail camera. The way that you are hunting is like taking a shot in the dark and hoping that a big buck comes in. You need to locate the bigger bucks first and find out what they are doing and where they are drinking. Good luck. Ed F

I have set trail cameras before and learned some VERY interesting things. Sometimes those big ones come in at noon when we're all at camp! :)

BOHNTR )))------------>

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom