waterproofer for boots

Deerlove

Long Time Member
What do you think the best waterproofer there is for boots. I'm tired of having that stuff wear off by noon on a rainy day. Russ

I've used Nikwax with good results. If your boots are goretex, you should use an approved waterproofer. I know my Irish Setters reccomend no animal fat or bees wax. mtmuley

A number of years ago "Backpacker" magazine did an test and article about many of the popular waterproofing treatments on leather boots. They treated the boots two seperate times and subjected them to flexing submerged partially in water. The treatments that excelled were Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy-Duty Water Repellent Spray 18,400/14,400 flexes, Nikwax Aqueous Was 19,000/24,100 flexes, and Tectron Boot/Shoe Protector14,500/47,000
flexes. As you can see the second application on Tectron provided exceptional preformance at 47,000 flexes. I use the Tectron, its great. I also carry a small plastic bottle of the Nikwax aqueous with me on extended trips to waterproof wet boots, as its a water soluable wax. For your info Sno-seal was 3,480/4000 flexes and Mink oil was 400/215 flexes. None of the others were remotely close to Tectron.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom