We CAN make a difference!

predator

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-11 AT 03:29PM (MST)[p]So I was curious about this whole complaining I am hearing about DH projects being either too restrictive (due to needed skills or equipment), or not enough projects.

I just want to know if those saying so are smoking crack, because I found more opportunities than I can currently schedule! Some of them are downright important, too, like habitat improvements, fencing repair, invasive weed control.

But I found one that I think we all can endorse, and not just DH's. There are few outdoorsmen and women who JUST hunt. Most of us fish, and even those that don't enjoy time on our lakes and streams.

I signed up to do some Invasive Species Surveys at several of our lakes over the summer. In doing so, I could get a couple extra hours by taking an online course regarding invasive species, more specifically quagga and zebra mussels.

Let me tell you- I learned a lot taking that course, and I have to say that if you as a DH don't at least participate in this project, then you are turning your back on a very serious threat. Even if you are not a boat owner, you should take this course.

I encourage ALL of you to go online and at least read up on these mussels. They have decimated waterways in Europe and back East, and they are here. These mussels reproduce in massive ways and eat the same things our trout do, if we allow them to continue to infest and spread, we will lose some of our best fishing waters.

Take a moment and think about the 'Berry with no monstrous rainbows or God forbid, the Gorge with no kokanee. We are blessed in having these two waters in particular that still have self-sustaining NATURAL spawns. Both waters provide for transplant to other waters.

To allow these invasives to move beyond the waters they currently inhabit is just plain irresponsible. If we do not take *ownership* of our wild lands, who will? This is no different than reporting ATV abuse or poaching, or acting as an ambassador for hunting while you are afield.

Here is the link: http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/invasive-mussels.html

Oh, and I shall be doing some of my DH hours at Jordanelle on Monday afternoon. Stop by, lots of you all that I have yet to meet in person! Some of you I just try to avoid being seen in public with.......

Pred

I will probably take some fire for this but it's about damn time that they start making projects that people actually have to work to get their hours. In the past you could get your hours by delivering proclamations to stores. Really? I have been involved with setting up several projects with the DWR and they were specifically designed for people to get their DH hours. There were chaining, cutting and burning cedar hill sides, building guzzlers and putting up and fixing fence. The most I ever had at one of these was 10 guys. That's not very many considering they were located within an hour of Utah County.

JMO - there are those that do the DH program for the right reasons and really get something out of it (like my friend Lisa) and those that are just looking for the extra "opportunity" with the least amount of effort. Those are the ones you will hear complaining. It's been a walk in the park for way too long.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-11 AT 09:54PM (MST)[p]Don't know why you would take any flack for your comments Bull, you are right on the money.

And you as well Pred!

I am not a resident of utah so I don't know the particulars of of the dedicated hunter program. From what I'm reading it seems like the idea is a good one. Hunters doing beneficial projects in return for some sort of hunting advancement or bonus. What is the benefit of the DH program....other than the obvious helping wildlife, etc?.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Steve, thanks for asking. The DH program allows you guaranteed deer tags for 3 years, and you can hunt all three seasons.

What do you guys think about a MM service day with a BBQ or something? There are several PJ thinning projects that we could do, make it a family thing.

Pred

Depending on when, I would be game for a good MM service project. I think it would be fun. Get some particulars Lisa and let me know.

depending on timing, I would be happy to attend.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

A MM service project/bbq would be fun.... and productive.
It would be fun to run into a few folks, even the knot-heads (with which I belong).

Great idea Predator!

Zeke

Some good changes and some that are pretty rediculous. Just because they made more restrictions doesn't mean that those projects that make no sense aren't still out there. Just do a quick search and you will see what I mean.

Lisa, your observation about all the projects is based on your locality. Most people aren't willing to travel across the state to get there hours in due to family commitments and money. If they are trying to weed these people out then they are doing a good job.

I will say this. I lucked into a project putting in water guzzlers this year. I heard the comment from several people that this was the first project that they did and felt like they was making a difference. I agreed with them and this is my 5th year.
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

Elk, I can agree with you on some of what you have said regarding some of the projects getting a "huh?" from me. There was one that was restricted to people living North of North Salt Lake. I would love to hear why that exists, seems kind of exclusionary to me. That being said, there are 23 habitat projects. 23!! That's AWESOME. I do agree with you in that I couldn't do any of the construction projects, because I don't have the tools or knowledge required.

That being said, it still slays me a little that some DH's who are willing to drive ANYWHERE in Utah to hunt, will not do the same to complete the hours. Heck, I am planning one down south just because I can add in a day to cruise the Pauns.

Each person is different, 'tis true, and each person needs to decide what they want to give to get back. Because you and I know that half these projects wouldn't get the sweat equity just because some hunters give a crap. There is an awful lot of 'what's in it for me' going around, and not just in hunting. You cannot tell me that the reason the price is 20 bucks per hour to buy the points is coincidental. It's because people are paying it rather than feel the sweat roll off their brow.

We are incredibly blessed to have the opportunities we do in Utah, not only the amount of public land literally at our doorstep, but in the species we get to see and occasionally hunt.

So fellas, there is a PJ thinning project on Tabby Mountain, which, as you all know, was bought and paid for with sportsman dollars. It has some of our better winter range, and the thinning is self-directed. I am willing to act as project director and make sure everyone who needs the hours gets credited.

What say ya'll to maybe some days between the 4th and 24th of July? Weekend or weekday?

Maybe I should throw this out to the General forum???

Pred

"That being said, it still slays me a little that some DH's who are willing to drive ANYWHERE in Utah to hunt, will not do the same to complete the hours."

DIDDO! That's exactly what I mean. Those that complain usually are the ones that will drive 4+ hours to hunt a Southern tag but aren't willing to drive an hour and a half to do a service project. I've heard many comments like this.

I'm not a DH nor have I ever been but if I can swing the time Pred I would love to help out. Keep my up on the details.

I will have to see if I can round up some pics of the project we did. It was pretty cool. Plus I know where 5 guzzlers.:)
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom