Westerns.

Long Time Member
This has no doubt run the track around here a time or two. I love westerns. While I've had some time around the house the last week I've had some time to catch up on a few. Watched the Lonesome Dove series for the first time over the weekend. Now I'm watching Dead Man Walk, Streets of Laredo, Open Range, and a few others. What are some of your favorites. I think Tombstone ranks up at least in the top five for me. I love 'em all though. From the black and white classics to the newer movies.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

A lot of good ones but I've got to put up a vote for Josey Wales and a vote for HIGH NOON, because it was my dad's favorite.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Ah both good ones. High Noon is very high on my list as evidenced by my signature pic.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

For me Lonesome Dove has to be at the top of my list . I also like the westerns that feature Tom Sellack . Monte Walsh is very good and there is a good message in the movie .

Tough to choose the top. Right know I'll say McClintock is right up there for me and also Little Big Man. That indian chief in Little Big Man and Josey Wales cracks me up.

Al

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 07:23AM (MST)[p]Some of my favorite westerns:

Lonsome Dove - #1 favorite.

Wyatt Earp - With Keven Costner, much better movie than Tombstone I think.

Hombre - Paul Newman & Richard Boone

Culpepper Cattle Company - Very similar to Lonsome Dove

Silverado - Great cast

3:10 to Yuma - Another good one

Rio Bravo -

The Searchers -

Sons of Katie Elder -

High Noon -

And this list goes on and on....

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 07:30AM (MST)[p]Rawhide great TV show.
Rifle man
Gunsmoke
Have gun will travel

Movies

Lomesome Dove
Culpepper cattle company
Open Range
Dances with Wolves

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I don't have to do this.....I just ditto'd Model 70 Guy and got it done, maybe not in that exact order, but close. I KNEW I liked that guy!

I might add Burt Lancaster in, "Valdez Is Coming",,,,,for you "long range shooters".

Since you asked, I still place "Lonesome Dove" far above everything else, in my book......and "Gus" is my all time favorite character, in any venue.

There is so much going on in that whole series. I've read all the books, seen all the movies and have no problem watching/reading, them at least once a year.

I have autographed pictures, unauthorized pictures, paintings of "gus" and ANYTHING else I can find, related to the "Lonesome Dove" saga....and I'll probably buy ANYTHING you want to sell that applies.

I'm over the top about this stuff, and I know it, but it is just something I enjoy.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]McClintock!!!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Wyatt Earp better than Tombstone? Thats the first time I've EVER heard that one. You oughta be ashamed of yourself! :)

Second on the 3:10 to Yuma.

Steve
T&A Inspector

>
true-grit-title.jpg

What do you all think of the new movie TRUE GRIT comming out this December? It has Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. I have mixed feelings. I will see it for sure, but I don't know if you should remake a classic John Wayne Movie? What are your thoughts. The trailor looks good though.

BUGLEMN

I would have to agree that Tombstone was better then Wyatt Earp

what about:
- Unforgiven
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- The Outlaw Josey Wales

and you can't forget about Blazing Saddles

>>
true-grit-title.jpg

>
>
>What do you all think of
>the new movie TRUE GRIT
>comming out this December? It
>has Matt Damon and Jeff
>Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. I
>have mixed feelings. I will
>see it for sure, but
>I don't know if you
>should remake a classic John
>Wayne Movie? What are your
>thoughts. The trailor looks good
>though.
>
>BUGLEMN

You've got to be kidding me!!

I will watch it for sure - but sure is going to be hard to beat the Duke!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Like others my ATF is:

Lonesome Dove
followed closely by
Unforgiven

Thought I was the only one who really, really liked
Culpepper Cattle Co.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I'd forgotten how many really good westerns there has been. Some I'm thinking I need to find and watch again:

Big Jake
My Name is Nobody
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A fist full of dollars
A few dollars more
Lonesome Dove
Tombstone
Two mules for sister sarah
High Plains Drifter
Magnificent Seven?Yule Brenner version
Unforgiven
The Alamo?The Duke?s version
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
They call me trinity
Trinity is still my name
Quigley Down Under
The man from snowy river
The tracker

Nobody mentioned any Sam Elliot movies, he made some good western....."Conagher" was a good one. Also liked "The Sacketts".

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p]Silverado!

I can't help but watch most anything with John Wayne. Rio Bravo was on the other night (seen it 10+ times) and couldn't help watching it. Not even one of his best!

Shane is a classic!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan, and love all his movies-
#1 THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
also high plains drifter
outlaw Josie Wales
fist full of dollars
for a few dollars more
ALSO a big Charlton Heston fan, good ones are,
Will Penny
The Mountain Men
Mother Lode (not really a western but close)

A few more I thought of that I liked...

Cheyenne Social Club -

The man who shot Liberty Valance -

Winchester 73 -

The Magnificent Seven -

Young Guns -

>I love the Flintstones,, Then Bonanza
>and 90210!!!

Flintstones ? Come on now Rug I figured you would list your all time favorite , Brokeback Mountain . J/K .

>Flintstones ? Come on now Rug
>I figured you would list
>your all time favorite ,
>Brokeback Mountain . J/K .

Pretty sure "Brokeback Mountain" is a favorite of HomerJ and his paramour during their "special weekend getaways"..

I have to say Josey Whales is way up there. Any body watched Steve Mcqueen in Tom Horn, that is also one of my favorites. What about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, Rooster Cogburn. Dont know if Jeramiah Johnson counts as a western.

Whats that one where Charles Bronson is playing the mad trapper? Lee Marvin was a Canadian Mountie in that one also I think.

"She wore a yellow ribbon" is a good one too.

"Mountain Men" is a must have too.

Reddog- that movie was Death hunt also one of my favorites.
How about pale rider, or 3:10 to Yuma- (old version) with Glen Ford?

I agree with many of the above.

Also, here is one I liked, yet to be mentioned - The Quick and the Dead. Gene Hackman is a great actor and Sharon Stone is not hard to watch.

Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, Open Range, Outlaw Josey Wales, and Jeremiah Johnson...in no particular order.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom