What caliber?

huntindad4

Very Active Member
Okay guys I have a pre64 model 70 in .300 H&H that has been reblued so is not of great value as a collector or original gun and it doesn't show great accuracy, I already have a .300Wby so don't really need another .30 cal. so................

I am thinking of a build with a PacNor barrel (they are just up the road) and I need opinions on calibers.

I have considered the magnum and short magnums from .257 wby. to the .264's and .270's and 7's and I like some things about all of them. It will be a deer and lope gun only hopefully useful out to 700 yards.

Some questions I have are, will the short mags feed well in the long action model 70? Will the ballistics of any of these make them marginal for the task of deer to 600- 700 yard because of energy etc.?

All opinions on caliber are welcome but please leave out your opinion on shooting deer at 700 yards. Give reason please, thanks in advance.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

I just went through the same situation and am awaiting the arrival of my 257WBY. Can't wait to start load development. I will be using the 115gr NBT and 100gr TTSX. Since you already own a 300 Id go with either the 257WBY or 264. I chose the 257WBY because the recoil is moderate and great speed.

Hard choice.. I'd go 260AI if I were in yer shoes..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Bucksnort I wish the bolt face didn't have to be an issue with non-magnums or I would have a much better range of calibers. I would like to keep price down and therefore gotta go with magnum calibers.

CA, the .257 is one of my top three, I would like a little better BC though, but out to 450-500 it isn't gonna matter. I also like the .264!

Thanks guys keep em coming!

Bill

or... a 24" .257 or .264 X 300 WSM

Lots of good choices out there! Whatever you decide, i'd make it lighter than heavier, you'll find yourself using it more often.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Whatever you decide, i'd make
>it lighter than heavier, you'll
>find yourself using it more
>often.

Yep...+1

Thanks guys.

Yep sage and hardway that is one of the reasons I am looking, my. 300 is a heavy sumbitch and kicks a bit especially when my kids shoot it.

Waiting for more. Maybe should have posted on the campfire them plicks can get 300 posts on the most useless chit that you ever saw! LOL!

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-11 AT 05:22PM (MST)[p]>Waiting for more. Maybe should have
>posted on the campfire them
>plicks can get 300 posts
>on the most useless chit
>that you ever saw!

Well then.... Pacnor #2 contour, stainless ,chambered in 7mm Wby mag, finished @ 24", mounted in a McMillan Edge of your choice. If I was shooting out to 6-700 yds I would think the 284 with its longer heavier bullets (better bc's) would outshine the smaller cals in the ft lbs dept. Hows that :)

That's what I'm talking about Hardway!

I look in reloading manuals (yes I know they don't always reflect full potential) and the 7 Wby. And others on my list don't seem to give much advantage over more common rounds.

I load my .300 wby to push 180 grainers to 3280 or so and I dont see that in a book so my next question is to those who shoot 7 wby and 270 wby and 264 win do you get Much more than the book says?

Oh and Hardway should that barrel be fluted? LOL!

Bill

>I look in reloading manuals (yes
>I know they don't always
>reflect full potential) and the
>7 Wby. And others on
>my list don't seem to
>give much advantage over more
>common rounds.

Thats why there not that common :)

>Oh and Hardway should that barrel
>be fluted? LOL!

Flutes are for band camp... except for the bolt body.

HD, Build something, anything... Gun builds with pic's are some of the best, neatest threads we get here. BTW, i like flutes myself! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-11 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p] I really love my 264 Win Mag, 140 gr VLD at 3260 fps with a 28" Broughton barrel. Plug that into your ballistics program and see how really flat shooting it is. The 257 is a great round but the selection of high BC bullets is very limited. The 7mm Rem Mag is a great round also and has some very high BC bullets available. Good luck on your choice but thats my 2 cents. Here's a picture of my 264;

7823rifle_pictures_002.jpg

How about a 270 wby with a 26" barrel--
you can get a 130 gr. accubond going 3400+ and smoke some lopes.

Gunguy, does that sound impressive to you? I was wondering because i can do the same thing with mine but with a 24" barrel instead of a 26, cheaper easier to get brass, and a short action to boot...270WSM! :)

Of course, it's not a Weatherby, if you're into that.

Joey

Joey, you're 270 WSM is smoking fast.. Much faster than mine..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

BSnort, You've mentioned that before to me or similar. Are you using Reloader 17? Yeah, i'm pushing the stuff over book but not seeing any signs of pressure and i can't complain of the groups...

I'm also seeing other guys data with the 270WSM and 17 or mag pro and they are getting similar findings to mine. Little SOB flat getty-ups on out there when you push it some! :)

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 00:16AM (MST)[p]Joey, I'm using H4831 at the moment but I plan on developing a new load with 110 gr TTSX's and possibly R17... I have family staying through the holidays when they are gone I am going to build another reloading bench in the spare bedroom and set it up nice..I'm sick of freezing in the garage trying to load bullets in the winter.. I also have had a brand new in the box Redding T-7 press that will be in the new reloading room as well..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 00:16AM (MST)[p]

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Sage- if your getting a honest 3400 fps with a 130 gr in a 270 wsm thats smokin hot- way above book. be careful if your out lope huntin in the hot 100+ desert!
In my reloading notes my rem. 700 270 wsm loads were 3295 w/65.0 grs R19- 130 gr.nosler partition (through my cronograph)
Now in my 270 wby I load 130 partitons at a safe 3440 fps w/ 73.0 grs. R22
Not trying to dispute you, but your loads seem real fast!

Gunguy, No, i haven't fooled with the 130's as i'm happy with my 140 accubond loading at 3280 and no pressure signs yet. I feel i still have room to go more but have yet to try. My saying that i can get that, meaning other 270WSM guys have done 3400 with their with 130 testing so i feel that i could approach that as well.

My loading was worked up and tested in the summer, such as it is around here, tested at 5000 ft.

My understanding is that the WSM and the Weatherby case are both within 1-2 grains of holding capacity depending on the brass mnfg with the shorter case being slightly more efficient.

When you take into consideration the additional 2" of barrel needed for the weatherby's numbers, i'm saying that the WSM hangs right there with it if not even having "some" slight advantages.

They are both hoss cartridges no doubt. I just tire of sometimes seeing the 270 Weatherby guys acting as if the 270WSM is the poor cousin because, in my opinion, they are VERY similar ballistically, certainly no animal would ever be able to tell the difference, when speaking apples to apples, 24" barrel length.

If you have both cases handy, i'd be interested in your findings of how much weight or volume of the same powder or water, each case held? It's all good!!

Joey

I don't know if it's possible but I may be more confused than I was before! LOL!

My wife has a .270 wsm and it's a shooter for sure which puts it on the list.

I am liking the .264 win mag the more I read ballistic tables and load books.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and keep them coming.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom