What can I do to make my 10 year old hunt more successful?

brokenneck

I'm probably more nervous than he is!
By "successful " I don't mean filling the tag.

He is doing his first buck hunt in 6 days. I don't want him to take any shots over 150 yards, MAYBE 200 if I could set the gun up in a cradle like rest with all the time in the world.

We've practiced a lot.I am confident of I put him on the deer, with out it bring a rushed situation, that he will make a good shot. He is very accurate (and safe if I don't mind bragging a bit)
with his gun.

I don't want it to be like when I was a kid and just throw him to the dogs and see how fast he can unload his gun. I'm really hoping I can glass up a stupid little forked horn, stalk to within 100 yards without it knowing we are there, and set his gun up on my pack and let him take his time to make the shot.

What other ideas have you guys done to make that hunt the very best that it can be for your kids? I am so excited, like it's the first hunt I've ever went on for myself! I just want it to be a memory that we both never forget.

He's huntin with dad. It's all ready a success. Don't let the pressure you put on yourself alter the hunt. I got lucky and killed a buck on my first hunt. I can't remember Much about the deer and I don't even know where the horns are now but I still think about hunting with dad a lot. I hunt with two of my three kids a lot. We blow a lot of stalks. Miss very now and then. Have plenty of slow days. When it isn't going right I always slap them on the back and tell them "isn't this fun".

Worry little have fun and at some point he'll put his buck on the ground.

Congrats

Just don't put too much pressure on either of you. So many Dads get frustrated after blown opportunities and let that show to the kids. Doesn't sound like you are that kind of Dad, so just relax and remember, "That's way the call it huntin, not killin"

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I know for certain that I won't put any pressure on my kid. I am going out of my way to make sure he knows that there isn't any pressure and well just do the best we can.If it works out then great, if not then great! I don't want there to be any thing negative for his first hunt. Of course were going to try are best to get him a good shot, but I believe a successful hunt isn't based on a punched tag.
I hope we hear elk bugleing, see some elk, see lots of does, glass a few bucks, make a couple un-successful stalks, then top it off with a stalk that works out perfect and he gets a shot opportunity. That would be a great hunt!

Here is my advice on making it a little more fun for the kids. I take my two girls hunting with me and they love it, cry if they don't get to go. And the secret is, make sure they are dressed appropriately, sounds dumb but make them comftorable. Decent shoes so they don't get blisters and either warm or cold clothing to match the weather. Don't push too hard if your a very active hiker cause they will get worn down a bit quicker. And probably the most important of all is take plenty of really good food. I know with mine hunting got a lot more fun when we ate good and had tasty treats.

marshtaxidermy.blogspot.com

All the stuff you are used to seeing, may be new to him.

Stop and pick up rocks, check out rubs, notice the other animals.

There is always lots going on in the woods. Make it fun. My youngest son is my best hunting buddy.
First buck he was 8, he is 17 now and we still enjoy hunting together.

Some dang good advice here.

Minimum age when I started was 14. I hunted every year until I was 18 before I killed a buck. I think not harvesting for those first years actually drove a stronger desire in me to hunt over my lifetime.

Whether he kills or not his first year, will not be the deciding factor on it being a good and memorable hunt.

And...he's 10. I know, everyone's 10 year old is the toughest on the mountain, but 10 is young. 10 year old legs don't walk as fast or as far as dads can. 10 year old attention span is a fraction of dad's. 10 year old grit to tolerate cold and hunger is not there yet. Not saying to take it easy, just know when enough is enough.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-15 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p]As Forky said, there's been some good advice, make sure you get some good campfire time in. Have there favorite meals and dessets etc. As mentioned stay positive, every body misses etc.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-15 AT 06:08PM (MST)[p]I'm sure he will have a great time just being out hunting with you. My son will tell you that besides killing his first buck, he enjoyed having a heart & liver cooking competition with me. His Grandpa was the judge and said he won(which he did). He also tells everyone about us laying acorns on the fire grill and betting which one will blow up first. We did that for hours on that hunt while telling hunting stories around the campfire. Pretty simple things but he talks about them all the time. Here are some things I did with my son on his first hunts...

Favorite drinks and snacks, even if mom wouldn't approve.
Let him help cook, if he wants.
Treat him like a hunting buddy around camp.
Let him start the fire, chop wood ect, yep with an ax or hatchet.
let him spot the deer, even if you have already seen them.
Let him make some of the hunting decisions on which way to go.
Give him his own wind checker, have him always check the wind.
Let him stalk a doe if he has the chance, then praise him when he does a good job.
Let him blood trail and find the deer.
Let him shoot whatever size deer that makes him happy.
Take a bb or pellet gun for shooting contest around camp.
Take lots of pictures.
Take a fishing pole if there is a place to fish.

Just some ideas that worked for me.... My 14yr old son lives for hunting and fishing.

BC

Thanks for all the advice guys. This will be a hunt that we've both looked forward to for, well, about 10 years lol.

As much as I keep telling him it don't matter if we get one,I would be lying if I said any thing other than I REALLY HOPE HE GETS ONE!
I don't care if it's a spike. I really hope I can do my job and get him the opportunity.

It will be fun, it will be a blast! Just are time around the house this week getting are gear ready has been so much fun. That kid won't sleep a wink the night before the opener. Boy that brings back old memories!

Take the fishing piles, 22's and targets, board or card game, something else to keep him occupied if he gets bored with hunting. And dress right.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-15 AT 04:47PM (MST)[p]I took my son on his first rifle packing deer hunt in Colorado when he was 11, about to turn 12. I think I pretty much did everything that has been suggested here.

It was a general season hunt with lots of other hunters and few deer, but toward the end of the hunt a dense little two point walked out in front of us at about 150 yards. Despite a steady rest my son missed him twice. I assured him it was OK but I could tell he felt pretty terrible and I did as well.

Back at camp we checked his little 257 Roberts and found it to be shooting a foot high at 100 yards. Somehow the scope got knocked off. A great lesson for both of us but all my son remembers of that experience now, is he got to miss almost a week of school while his friends had to stay home.

My advice is to make it more of an adventure than a hunt. The outcome doesn't matter near as much as the memories. Since our Colorado hunt my son and I have shared almost two decades of great outdoor experiences. I hope you can do the same!

BC's list is just along my line of thinking. +1 BC . I know now that my kids are older, they have told me they really enjoyed the Stories of Me and my Dads hunting trips from "the old Days". Make sure he has a good time with all aspects of the Hunt.. Cooking, fire wood, clean up. With one of my sons it really helped him to talk calmly and ask him qquestions about the shot before he took it, it calmed him down enough he didnt get buck ago to bad. ... Now if you decide to shoot this one, where do you think the best spot to hit him would be..... have a Great time . let him make a username for MM and update us on his hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom