What do you think it would take for region G to come back?

No, but if you think 350 non residents are the problem with region G then you're an idiot. The problem is that they don't limit residents. Make residents pick a region.
The only "idiot" in this thread is the one trying to pick a fight with residents. You have no idea how many residents would pick what region if a region general tag was implemented. Most likely it would do more harm than good, as shown by how quality in LQ areas has drastically dropped in many Wy areas.

Rest assured, these ridiculous threads that turn into pissing matches make zero difference in what happens on the management end in Wyoming. I've never had a bad experience in the field with a NR that I recall. In fact I have made some great friends and to a one they appreciate what Wy gives them.

Mild winter this year is a great start. Can you imagine if you get a great streak of 7 or 8 more how many big bucks will be running around? And with the NR tag cuts last year it could get really good. Oh man those guys will be crying! Can’t wait!

For anyone interested the harvest reports are posted and just as many stated on here a far higher percentage of deer were killed by non residents in pretty much every area In g and h not more deer over all but absolutely a higher percentage of non resident hunters shot deer by a landslide. Facts are right there

For anyone interested the harvest reports are posted and just as many stated on here a far higher percentage of deer were killed by non residents in pretty much every area In g and h not more deer over all but absolutely a higher percentage of non resident hunters shot deer by a landslide. Facts are right there
It's very obvious residents do the most self-regulating on buck mule deer by looking at areas statewide. Also, the claims that thousands upon thousands of residents hunt specific areas in G are garbage.

Makes sense if your a NR and interested in a trophy caliber deer you hunt where you have the best chance.

I would say if you all care so much about the deer in G/H.
0 NR tags...? Yep residents should not take the hit.
Limit residents? Limit quota until the herd recovers enough to allow NR hunting.

With no NR hunters it might narrow down the outfitter #s?

Bucks killed don't mean more fawns on the ground

Don't really care....but the complaining gets old,

So you are endorsing putting outfitters in the unemployment line. 😳Maybe issue no resident tags until the numbers are back since they kill the largest "number” of deer. Or better yet set tag numbers and make it a draw for both resident and NR until herd recovery. To be honest we should not be debating resident or NR it should be about what makes better sense for the deer herd.

Last edited:
So you are endorsing putting outfitters in the unemployment line. Maybe issue no resident tags until the numbers are back since they kill the largest "number” of deer. Or better yet set tag numbers and make it a draw for both resident and NR until herd recovery. In the end its about numbers that are killed.
Wrong when it comes to killing fewer deer residents should be doing the killing they're the property of the people of the state.

Wrong when it comes to killing fewer deer residents should be doing the killing they're the property of the people of the state.
Totally agree. And that should be the mind set for all States. But as it relates to G the residents seem to think the solution is just to eliminate NR tags and not give up anything. It may take a few years of limiting resident tags also.

I would venture to guess that if Wyoming removed all of the NR tags in G and H that the units/hunt quality would not improve. More and more people are moving to Wyoming and a lot of them are people that are moving there specifically to take advantage of the liberal hunting opportunities afforded to Residents. I loved it when I lived in Wyoming and wish I could still take advantage of it. But removing the NR hunters 1000% will not fix the units or deer numbers. Residents kill far more deer than NR ever did.

I don't blame residents for not wanting to give up what they are used to, but it is only because they love their way of life and have become entitled to those tags and opportunities. I would hate to see NR tags go away, but I think we should give them what they want and take all the NR tags away. The quality would continue to plummet, funds would be cut and they would have to sleep in the bed they made. Who would they blame at that point? Limiting the numbers of tags in each area is the only thing that will give the deer a break. Wyoming deer have a tough life and the only factor that can be controlled is how many are shot, but many residents believe they deserve those animals regardless of what it means for the herds. Many would also rather be guaranteed a tag every year and have lousy hunting than see a single NR hunt "their" deer and "their" state. Yes, they do belong to the state and residents should get priority. But that also means they should get the majority of the blame, because it certainly isn't due to too many NR in G & H.

I have a lot of good friends in Wyoming and I am jealous of their opportunity, but it's not going to change until less deer get killed by residents. NR are certainly not the ones doing most of the damage. Change sucks and if I still lived there I would hate for a change like that to happen, but I also still believed the same thing when I lived there because it was very easy to see the deer are being overhunted in the primo areas whether residents will admit it or not.

I would venture to guess that if Wyoming removed all of the NR tags in G and H that the units/hunt quality would not improve. More and more people are moving to Wyoming and a lot of them are people that are moving there specifically to take advantage of the liberal hunting opportunities afforded to Residents. I loved it when I lived in Wyoming and wish I could still take advantage of it. But removing the NR hunters 1000% will not fix the units or deer numbers. Residents kill far more deer than NR ever did.

I don't blame residents for not wanting to give up what they are used to, but it is only because they love their way of life and have become entitled to those tags and opportunities. I would hate to see NR tags go away, but I think we should give them what they want and take all the NR tags away. The quality would continue to plummet, funds would be cut and they would have to sleep in the bed they made. Who would they blame at that point? Limiting the numbers of tags in each area is the only thing that will give the deer a break. Wyoming deer have a tough life and the only factor that can be controlled is how many are shot, but many residents believe they deserve those animals regardless of what it means for the herds. Many would also rather be guaranteed a tag every year and have lousy hunting than see a single NR hunt "their" deer and "their" state. Yes, they do belong to the state and residents should get priority. But that also means they should get the majority of the blame, because it certainly isn't due to too many NR in G & H.

I have a lot of good friends in Wyoming and I am jealous of their opportunity, but it's not going to change until less deer get killed by residents. NR are certainly not the ones doing most of the damage. Change sucks and if I still lived there I would hate for a change like that to happen, but I also still believed the same thing when I lived there because it was very easy to see the deer are being overhunted in the primo areas whether residents will admit it or not.
This is all false, it's not Non-resident or Resident hunters who are at fault for the mule deer population decline in Western Wyoming. If predator populations were knocked down and if the weather cooperated the mule deer herds would increase.

This is all false, it's not Non-resident or Resident hunters who are at fault for the mule deer population decline in Western Wyoming. If predator populations were knocked down and if the weather cooperated the mule deer herds would increase.
Not sure that any of what I said is false. I said residents love their hunting, residents kill more animals than nonresidents, if you removed all NR tags g & h wouldn't improve, residents blame nonresidents, most residents hate the nonresidents, residents should have priority, more people are moving to the state and taking advantage of the opportunity, wyoming deer have a tough life, only way to help herds is for less deer to die.... that pretty much sums it up. Can't find anything false in any of that.

You may be correct about predators and weather. But you can't control the weather and wolves and grizzlies are only going to get worse.

There is no way to be sure because reporting isn't mandatory. You are completely guessing that most are reported... likely not the case.
What's your point you think more nr fill out a harvest survey then residents? I doubt it

Not sure that any of what I said is false. I said residents love their hunting, residents kill more animals than nonresidents, if you removed all NR tags g & h wouldn't improve, residents blame nonresidents, most residents hate the nonresidents, residents should have priority, more people are moving to the state and taking advantage of the opportunity, wyoming deer have a tough life, only way to help herds is for less deer to die.... that pretty much sums it up. Can't find anything false in any of that.

You may be correct about predators and weather. But you can't control the weather and wolves and grizzlies are only going to get worse.
I'm not going to say harvest reports are 100% accurate, but they are close enough to see what's going on. NR have a lot more to do with overall buck mule deer harvest than I ever imagined. It would most certainly make a difference in buck/doe ratios if NR tags were cut or eliminated. Before you fly off the handle re-read that.

Just to be clear, I am not advocating eliminating all NR tags.

NR having a higher harvest percentage make sense to me. Many people are not willing to eat a tag after waiting the better part of decade to draw.
Not just that, but the fact that many Wyoming residents might hunt region G or H areas for a couple days and not even try that hard to kill a deer because they've still got a couple months of deer hunting left in other areas where they can fill their general deer tag. A non resident in G or H has waited severs years to hunt there, and when that season is over they're done hunting in Wyoming for deer that year.

Limiting the numbers of tags in each area is the only thing that will give the deer a break.(FALSE)

Wyoming deer have a tough life and the only factor that can be controlled is how many are shot(FALSE), but many residents believe they deserve those animals regardless of what it means for the herds (False). Many would also rather be guaranteed a tag every year and have lousy hunting than see a single NR hunt "their" deer and "their" state. (False) Yes, they do belong to the state and residents should get priority. But that also means they should get the majority of the blame (False), because it certainly isn't due to too many NR in G & H.
Grizzly Bears and wolves are both very far from the biggest issue Region G mule deer face. Coyotes, mountain lions and black bears killing fawns are a big issue hunters can help with. Recently installed highway fencing and underpasses are currently saving deer. Harsh winters, drought, poor range conditions are mostly out of our control. You said it yourself you're jealous. 😂 Hopefully the deer make a comeback but they do have a lot going against them.

Grizzly Bears and wolves are both very far from the biggest issue Region G mule deer face. Coyotes, mountain lions and black bears killing fawns are a big issue hunters can help with. Recently installed highway fencing and underpasses are currently saving deer. Harsh winters, drought, poor range conditions are mostly out of our control. You said it yourself you're jealous. 😂 Hopefully the deer make a comeback but they do have a lot going against them.
I am definitely jealous of the opportunity. I took advantage of it when I lived in Wyoming. But only because I love to hunt and because I could, not because it is a good idea. If they are going to allow it people are going to do it and fight the changing of it. But as I said, even when I lived there I believed over the counter for residents was a bad idea that is not sustainable for much longer. I don't live there anymore and don't apply there anymore so it really won't change much for me. I say take all NR tags away and see in 5-10 years if the herds are better off. Here's a hint.... they won't be. But maybe by then more residents will see that it is not because they have a few NR hunting each year. It's awesome country and I absolutely loved everything about Wyoming. I just don't buy that it's gonna bounce back by eliminating or further limiting NR tags. I hope it does bounce back. I really do. But times are changing and the resource is hurting and most residents refuse to look inward at their effect on that resource.

NR having a higher harvest percentage make sense to me. Many people are not willing to eat a tag after waiting the better part of decade to draw.
A non resident in G or H has waited severs years to hunt there, and when that season is over they're done hunting in Wyoming for deer that year.
So because of the wait to draw the tag, many NR just shoot a deer to fill the tag if they can't find a big one?

This is a big reason why NR tags are the first cut. IMO

So because of the wait to draw the tag, many NR just shoot a deer to fill the tag if they can't find a big one?

This is a big reason why NR tags are the first cut. IMO
That's really not what I was saying. I'm saying a resident has a lot more opportunities to hunt other areas of the state, in October and November. A non resident hunting G or H went there specifically for that one hunt. I'm not sure it has to do with taking a small deer. But more than likely just putting in more time than many resident hunters might, and therefore being more successful, in those specific areas. I would guess there are many resident hunters who are much less serious when they're hunting G or H, possiblity even road hunting more than anything else.

Non resident tags are the first to be cut because they're the only tags that can be cut in those areas.

I have not shot a deer in 2 seasons. I could easily have shot multiple over 180, but was chasing bigger and did not need to fill my tag, and didnt. This last season, of the 40-50 or so Residents I keep tabs with etc, I know of only 2 who shot deer. 1 went mid 190s, the other well over 200. . So when NR sit on here and cry wolf about residents, as i see NR with a 160 buck going down the trail, I beg to differ based on personal experience and everything Frahlick saw at the check station this past fall.

I have not shot a deer in 2 seasons. I could easily have shot multiple over 180, but was chasing bigger and did not need to fill my tag, and didnt. This last season, of the 40-50 or so Residents I keep tabs with etc, I know of only 2 who shot deer. 1 went mid 190s, the other well over 200. . So when NR sit on here and cry wolf about residents, as i see NR with a 160 buck going down the trail, I beg to differ based on personal experience and everything Frahlick saw at the check station this past fall.
I get it I guess. But if you know you're only get a chance at a tag every 5 to 10 years or so, why would you R be upset if the NR shoots a 160?

I have not shot a deer in 2 seasons. I could easily have shot multiple over 180, but was chasing bigger and did not need to fill my tag, and didn't. This last season, of the 40-50 or so Residents I keep tabs with etc, I know of only 2 who shot deer. 1 went mid 190s, the other well over 200. . So when NR sit on here and cry wolf about residents, as i see NR with a 160 buck going down the trail, I beg to differ based on personal experience and everything Fralick saw at the check station this past fall.
I 100% agree👆.
I've shot 3 mule deer in 10 years, two 180 bucks and a mid 190's buck. I could have taken a 170 every year in between but I killed elk to put meat in the freezer. I get it, not all Nonresidents have to shoot a buck, (I think Brian Latturner is one of the Non-residents who holds out for a big buck or he doesn't kill a buck). The majority of Nonresidents are going to take a 170 or less buck the last day they can hunt. That's okay but that's also why they are seeing the tag cuts in my opinion.

I don’t understand the relation to score in the dick measuring contests on who kills what.

I’d rather a guy come off the mountain with the 170 8 year old buck than the 190 4 year old.

Agree with mtnguide. The only WY resident I know that shot a mule deer in the circle I run with had a 102 deer tag.

Cause every NR is talking about big bucks, then blasts a 2-3yr old. You dont get big bucks, by shooting the ones who could turn into them
They get one shot ever 5 plus years to hunt. Turn them into something you can hunt every year or two. Why am I not surprised. Carry on

I don’t understand the relation to score in the BUCK measuring contests on who kills what.

I’d rather a guy come off the mountain with the 170 8 year old buck than the 190 4 year old.

Agree with mtnguide. The only WY resident I know that shot a mule deer in the circle I run with had a 102 deer tag.
I fixed it for you, it's a buck measuring contest, not a dick measuring contest. (It's been mentioned before but you sure like to talk about dicks, kinda odd).
Anyway, I only mention score to brag, and yes I am proud of those nice bucks, all three were killed early in the season. If I was good enough at hunting to find an 8 year old 170 buck on the last day and smart enough to recognize that he is old. I would kill him but you have to admit those old bucks are good at hiding from hunters and I haven't been so lucky. Due to a trophy mule deer mentality I just won't shoot a smaller buck early in the season. It's only the super duper hunters that kill big ones late in the hunt.

I fixed it for you, it's a buck measuring contest, not a dick measuring contest. (It's been mentioned before but you sure like to talk about dicks, kinda odd).
Anyway, I only mention score to brag, and yes I am proud of those nice bucks, all three were killed early in the season. If I was good enough at hunting to find an 8 year old 170 buck on the last day and smart enough to recognize that he is old. I would kill him but you have to admit those old bucks are good at hiding from hunters and I haven't been so lucky. Due to a trophy mule deer mentality I just won't shoot a smaller buck early in the season. It's only the super duper hunters that kill big ones late in the hunt.
Hahaha it wasn’t aimed at you. But it’s a dick measuring contest no doubt when talking scores vs whether to shoot a buck or not.

if someone has a tag and they fill it why should we shame them? A buck is dead regardless of the score.

Focus on mature animals, not score.

They get one shot ever 5 plus years to hunt. Turn them into something you can hunt every year or two. Why am I not surprised. Carry on
incorrect. They choose to wait that long to hunt region G or H. A NR could hunt mule deer almost every year in WY if you wanted to. The choice to wait for G or H, is your choice, you're not forced to wait 5+ years. And if youre going to come to G and H and shoot a 2-3yr old deer, why wait that long? why not go elsewhere in the state where you can shoot mule deer more frequently? People come to G and H cause of the trophy aspect.

So a NR can hunt a big buck unit every year?

A NR waited 5 plus years to hunt a unit and hunted all week and ended up taking a 160 buck on the last day and he's an ass. Interesting

There’s big bucks in every unit of WY. Some may not score well but that doesn’t mean they are not big….
Fair enough. My point is as a NR you won't be able to hunt a BIG Scoring Buck unit but once every 5 to 10 plus years. It's not a crime to or shouldn't be looked down on when a hunter hunts in one of those units and knowing it's going to be years before he has another opportunity the takes a decent buck at the end of the hunt. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough. My point is as a NR you won't be able to hunt a BIG Scoring Buck unit but once every 5 to 10 plus years. It's not a crime to or shouldn't be looked down on when a hunter hunts in one of those units and knowing it's going to be years before he has another opportunity the takes a decent buck at the end of the hunt. That's all I'm saying.
What exactly are you saying?

Pretty simple If a hunter has to wait years for the opportunity to hunt a big buck unit, why is he looked down on for shooting a good but not great buck. He knows the odds of getting back in that unit before 5 plus years and in some cases longer are really slim.
Why fight horrible draw odds to shoot an average buck?

If you're going to do that, may as well hunt more often in units you can draw easier.

See it with elk, deer, and the most, pronghorn. Guys burn max points, waiting forever for the perfect tag, and slam a mid-70's buck they see about 2 hours into the season.

Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

It is pretty simple , you save points to hunt the big bucks so if ya want a great buck don’t shoot a good buck and wait again until ya meet your goal of a great buck or apply for other tags that don’t take so long to draw and shoot a good buck!

Why fight horrible draw odds to shoot an average buck?

If you're going to do that, may as well hunt more often in units you can draw easier.

See it with elk, deer, and the most, pronghorn. Guys burn max points, waiting forever for the perfect tag, and slam a mid-70's buck they see about 2 hours into the season.

Makes no sense to me, but whatever.
They didn't want to shoot an average buck. That's the point of waiting. Knowing it's going to be years before you have a chance to hunt a Big Buck.

If you can't get on a Big Buck, I don't see anything wrong with taking a nice buck. I can see your side but you also get way more opportunities to hunt those units.

Interesting to read how everyone has an opinion on how others should hunt, what type of deer they should shoot, what type of distance it should be shot at etc...........all based upon their own opinions. I say everyone enjoy the outdoors, be respectful of the deer, the outdoors and other hunters and enjoy whatever type of hunting brings you joy.

Interesting to read how everyone has an opinion on how others should hunt, what type of deer they should shoot, what type of distance it should be shot at etc...........all based upon their own opinions. I say everyone enjoy the outdoors, be respectful of the deer, the outdoors and other hunters and enjoy whatever type of hunting brings you joy.
Agree just don’t complain on hunting forums about quality or quantity and try telling residents how there seasons and tags should be set another simple idea !!

They didn't want to shoot an average buck. That's the point of waiting. Knowing it's going to be years before you have a chance to hunt a Big Buck.

If you can't get on a Big Buck, I don't see anything wrong with taking a nice buck. I can see your side but you also get way more opportunities to hunt those units.
Then why did they shoot an average buck if they didn't want to?

Someone forced them to pull the trigger?

Then why did they shoot an average buck if they didn't want to?

Someone forced them to pull the trigger?
Yep The waiting period at another chance to hunt there was a reason for taking a nice buck instead of one that makes you happy.

I said they were there for the opportunity at a big buck. The lack of future opportunity played a part in them taking a nice one.

Is it that hard to understand?

Yep The waiting period at another chance to hunt there was a reason for taking a nice buck instead of one that makes you happy.

I said they were there for the opportunity at a big buck. The lack of future opportunity played a part in them taking a nice one.

Is it that hard to understand?
Yes, I've never shot something I didn't want to, and see no sense in it.

Yes, I've never shot something I didn't want to, and see no sense in it.
I'm sorry I'm typing over your head. After hunting for a buck that would make YOU and them happy , they took a buck that ultimately made them happy because they knew they wouldn't get another chance for the foreseeable future.

I'm sorry I'm typing over your head. After hunting for a buck that would make YOU and them happy , they took a buck that ultimately made them happy because they knew they wouldn't get another chance for the foreseeable future.

"They didn't want to shoot an average buck."

You said it, I didn't.

Apparently they DID want to shoot an average buck, and if that's the case, they could have shot average bucks more often, in other areas.

It makes NO sense to shoot something you claim they didn't want to.

Either shoot a big one that you really did want to shoot, or go home without.

Why is that so hard to understand?

"They didn't want to shoot an average buck."

You said it, I didn't.

Apparently they DID want to shoot an average buck, and if that's the case, they could have shot average bucks more often, in other areas.

It makes NO sense to shoot something you claim they didn't want to.

Either shoot a big one that you really did want to shoot, or go home without.

Why is that so hard to understand?
You're really trying to make it complicated. They really wanted to shoot a big buck. That's why they waited for that particular unit. Correct?

However, not being able to find a big buck they took an average buck because they the opportunity for years to hunt there again. Evidently that makes no sense to someone that can hunt those units on a regular basis. Correct?

I'd also be willing to bet they like venison. What constitutes a successful hunt is different for different people. Mind blowing huh.

Maybe you should put up a check point in the unit and you can decide what bucks are worthy and which don't quite make the cut. That way you can shame the hunters online.

That's what losers say.
Nope What you're saying is for losers. You think you're the voice for all hunters. Pretty arrogant thinking. Go you I guess.

What's funny is in a unit like this with NR only having a very limited number of tags that you feel you're not good enough to overcome the NR's taking maybe 2 or 3 bucks that you don't consider worth.

Have some confidence.

Nope What you're saying is for losers. You think you're the voice for all hunters. Pretty arrogant thinking. Go you I guess.

What's funny is in a unit like this with NR only having a very limited number of tags that you feel you're not good enough to overcome the NR's taking maybe 2 or 3 bucks that you don't consider worth.

Have some confidence.
Where did I say I cared what anyone shot?

If right out of the gate, a person is happy shooting a 2 point, and that's what they want to shoot, great, cool, happy for you. But if they don't want to shoot a 2 point, and they do, well, then they're losers. They talked all tough, then folded, waived the white flag, and blasted something they didn't want to.

What doesn't make sense to anyone but you, apparently, is people shooting things they don't want to.

Thats also the problem with NR's, rather than eat a tag to shoot what they want, they'll kill a subpar deer just because they can.

Exactly what the harvest reports show as well and exactly why NR's need to be limited even more.

Also, anyone claiming they shoot mule deer for the quality venison is a liar. I've shot plenty, and they aren't close to as good as elk, pronghorn, whitetail, axis, fallow, sika, oryx.

About one level better than duck or bear.

Where did I say I cared what anyone shot?

If right out of the gate, a person is happy shooting a 2 point, and that's what they want to shoot, great, cool, happy for you. But if they don't want to shoot a 2 point, and they do, well, then they're losers. They talked all tough, then folded, waived the white flag, and blasted something they didn't want to.

What doesn't make sense to anyone but you, apparently, is people shooting things they don't want to.

Thats also the problem with NR's, rather than eat a tag to shoot what they want, they'll kill a subpar deer just because they can.

Exactly what the harvest reports show as well and exactly why NR's need to be limited even more.
Shooting something they didn't expect to is different than shooting you didn't want to. Sorry that confuses you.

The NR comment just shows your R arrogance. We get very limited opportunities. For some reason, that concept is beyond your comprehension.

I'm sorry you believe you can't over come a low percentage of what you consider subpar animals being taken. It would be interesting to see the numbers between R and NR on what you call subpar deer. I would be willing to bet the number taken is substantially higher taken by R over NR just because of the number of hunters. If you have the numbers and subpar deer taken, I would sure like to see them.

It could also be that someone just wants to hunt that country. Maybe they don't care that much about how a buck will score. I know I don't. But I still would like to hunt that part of Wyoming someday.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom