What do you think?

huntn30inchers

So, I want to get out and see if I can find some elk and see if I can get them talking. My only problem is that I dont have a tag so it will be a look and dont touch outing. The issue I want your opinions on is do I have any less right to be out busting ridges if I dont have a tag? I dont want to be stepping on any toes for basically no reason.

First off, i think it's awesome you'd think about respecting other hunters like that, there needs to be more people just like you! So i'll say "thank you" even though i'm not involved whatsoever.

I'd say go ahead and go have some fun, there's no law against you being up there and you already have the respect for a hunter if you happen to run into one. Just respect his space and move to another place.
Hell who knows, you may run into a big bull for someone and be able to help them out!!

ENJOY, 30incher!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

I have done it, but I made sure I stayed back so I wouldn't interfere. I used my optics. Also, don't bring any weapons that make you look like you are hunting. I had a warden come up on me once when I was scouting during bow season (I did not have a bow tag) and question me. He asked me if I had a tag and what I was doing. I told him what I was doing and that I didn't have a tag. I then told him I didn't have any weapons and he could search my vehicle if he liked. He looked in my window and said no he didn't need to do that. I then proceed to ask him if he could give me any advice on the area since he probably new it better then the "locals". He gave me several good tips that paid off. End of story.

I too agree with whats been said...knock yourself out. Maybe you can not only help another hunter out, but get in on the hunt as well!

Go have fun!
Just watch you don't find the wrong hunter out there,some guys get really protective of there hunting area and they may see it as your harrassing the wildlife or interfereing with their hunting and turn you in.
In colorado this is a felony offense.

I'd do it! Just don't be tootin' a bugle all over the place!

This question goes both ways for me.

If I had a tag and was hunting, I would absolutely HATE the idea of a bunch of idiots out there messing up my hunt of a lifetime.

On the other hand, if I didn't have a tag, I would still feel that I have just as much right to go ahead and hit the hills and get some video. Of course, I would be careful to stay out of the hunters way.

I guess this is where confrontations erupt from - differences of opinion.

I know the feeling of wanting to be out hunting elk and calling them but I sure wouldn't want to mess up someones hunt. Who knows, he might have not had a tag for a few years and then someone just wanting to have some fun messes his hunt up. Some of the places we hunt are hard to get to and it would really be hard to handle if we ran into someone that was just calling and the elk got run off after hikeing in for several hours.I understand the want, but personally I wouldn't do it.

Why don't you volunteer to call for someone that doesn't have a Team caller? It would be a Win Win!!! It wouldn't effect other Hunter's except maybe removing one of the Bulls from the Herd? LOL

Yeah, I dont know what to think. The day I actually decided that I was going to go I got sick and couldnt even get out of bed so I never went. But like some of you said I dont want to ruin a hunt, I know that if I ran into some guy and he blew a chance, especially with a bow I'd be pretty pissed. Anyway, I wouldn't mind going out and calling for someone but I just moved up here and dont really know many people yet, and being new is what really makes me want to see how the animals are acting during the bow hunt so next year when I can hunt I will have some idea as to how to approach the situation.

From what these guys are saying, sounds like maybe you should stay out of Limited entry units, where the "hunt of a lifetime" may be going on; concentrate on open bull or even spike only units.
I cant see a problem with this especially if you are considerate of the hunters.
You have every right to be out there. I expect to see hikers, photographers, etc., if I hunt popular public land. (which is why I usually dont) Hunters cant (shouldnt) create confrontations because someone is enjoying public land in a manner different than hunting. This is the kind of attitude that anti-hunters and environmentalists sensationalize and equate with all hunters.
I would stay away from the LE units, and enjoy.

I think it would be okay!But it seems to me that you should know someone that drew and could use the help,if not,just be careful you don't step on any toes..

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-07 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]huntin30inchers, you sound like a pretty good guy to me. Bare in mind there are grouse hunts, people fishing and some times other hunts going on at the same time as the LE hunts on public ground. I'd say if you respect the other hunters go for it. That's why it's called hunting and not killing. Photos and experiences are the only way some of us get to enjoy the priemum hunts.

RUS

its your call, the wildlife belong to the public so you have every right to go look, as long as you aren't harassing them. That being said, I wouldn't dream of doing myself.

68hi7ls.gif

Its by no means a LE unit, its an open unit in western Montana. I was told by a guy that lives up there that very few people make the hike up there because it is so nasty, but I've talked to quite a few people that have told me that it is no secret that the area holds alot of elk. And truth be told Im more worried about running into a bear without a gun than I would be ruining someones hunt. I just have to do something cause Im up here in a place where everyone hunts and they are getting all geared up and my one and only hunt this year is long over and its killing me!

2nd amendment gives me the right to pack a gun, I pack a pistol in archery season and a varmit rifle when I dont have a licence even if Im doging for friends, Sure Ive been harrassed by game wardens but not a 1 has written me a ticket. With that being said I would never risk my hunting privilages, preference points and relationship with hunting organizations by doing something illegal. The only reason I carry a gun is for my own personal safty and if the chance at a coyote comes along Im ready.

Here's what I'd do: Strap your favorite sidearm on your hip and head to the mountains. Just don't use your call. Instead, use your ears. If bulls are really "callable", you'll hear them long before you get to the top. Use binocs and ears to sneak in on them. Get under 200 yards. Keep an eye out for other hunters. If you see any, back out, keep watching from a FAR distance. If no others, just sit back and enjoy. Maybe close the gap a little, using terrain and wind. You'll learn alot more watching them anyway, rather than by blowing your own call. Plus it'll teach you discipline to get "in" on them before sounding off like Hugo-The-Horn-Blower. And, being stealthy in and amogst the elk and other hunters without being detected is much more informative and a better tool for when you've got the bow, muzz, or rifle in your hand.

Some pretty good replys . I persinally think it's ok for you to get out and try and find elk. I've done it many times with calls. When I was younger I'd go as often as I could with my diaphrams to practice. I do however think that if you know another hunter or hunters are working elk in a certain area that you should respect that and leave the area for them to hunt.You have just as much right to be in the forest as people with tags , just respect the situation. And don't forget your camera....

huntn6inchers. Maybe you should stay home and do some studying for a change.

I am not going to stay home, if I do not have an elk tag. I enjoy looking and calling elk. Having said that, I will do everything in my power to not mess a hunter up, but if you are out there looking sooner or later you will mess someone up. If I know there is a hunter in the area, I will find another spot, if I know a hunter is behind me on a road I will let them pass. I don't think I should have to stay home during my favorite part of the year, because I do not have a tag. Be courteous, polite, and do everything you can not to mess someone up, but I have as much right to be out there as anyone else. I have messed hunters up before and felt bad about it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom