What gear are you glad you bought

out4elk

Now that hunting season is winding down for the year (Most Hunting) what gear are you pleased with?

I bought a SLIK 630CF tripod and after all the use I put it through during the LE Elk, ML Deer, Rifle Deer and GEN ML Elk I am pleased as can be with that little tripod. It was a pleasure to use with my 65mm Swaro and that scope/pod combo was a pleasure to pack everywhere. There were a couple windy days and even though it was effected by the wind overall the tripod proved sturdy enough to still use. Didn't have any mechanical issues at all either. I would definately recommend this tripod to those of you who are looking for the lightest set-up possible without sacrificing quality.

The other item I am glad I purchased, even though I purchased it a few years ago was my Stoney Point bipod. This has always been a reliable shooting platform and doubles as a good walking stick at times. This year I found another good use for this thing....Bipod for my binoculars. Even though it doesn't attach to my binos it works really well spread across the lap with the binos sitting on top. Doesn't quite compare to an actual tripod setup for binos but comes pretty close. I can't believe I have never put 2+2 together before.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

replaced my main 3 rifles a couple years ago with 338 and 270 wsm tikka t3 lites. They shoot outstanding and the difference in weight really adds up as the days and the elevation add up.

My Big Agnes Deep Creek sleeping bag has been awesome - extremely light weight (no insulation in the bottom just a sleeping pad sleeve which is a great system)and never cold at night even when my hunting partners were complaining.

I use an Aquastar UV bottle for water which is a quick and easy method that I pack with me in the backcountry - only complaint was in COLD weather but premium batteries solved that problem.

MTO 50 rainware has been my standby when hunting in the Pacific NW because we get WET out here and this stuff is quite, lightweight and keeps you dry.

Best purchase this year - smart wool long underware. Comfortable, warm and killed the stink even after 5 staight days backpack hunting (wish my buddy was wearing some!)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-08 AT 07:57AM (MST)[p]I bought a Cabelas Big Horn II outfitter tent. It's a nylon type tent and not canvas. It withstood some nasty winds and a 4" rain storm on my elk hunt. The cylinder stove kept me warm and toasty when it got down to 20? at night. It is easy enough for one person to put up and take down, as I mainly hunt solo. It also has a bunch of room for me, stove, and all my gear.

During my deer hunt, it was a lot warmer. The tent did not become an oven and was still usable during the day when it was over 75? outside.

Meindel Perfekt Hunters......My feet have never been so happy. I cant believe the difference over the 5+ pairs of Danners I've worn out. It's gotta be the first hunting boot I was truley happy with.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-08 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]Havalon knife, Meindel Perfekt Hikers, Horn Hunter Quick Draw rangefinder holster. All great products I purchased this season.

Ed
491b09ae768e8c96.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-08 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-08 AT 11:22?AM (MST)

Ive got lots of gear Im glad I bought for my 08 elk hunt.
<>Black Diamond Spot head lamp. ON sale for $19.99 Used it to help skin/debone two elk. LITTERALY LIT UP THE NIGHT!, yet weighs only 3ozs W/Bats.
<>Cabelas Base Camp Jacket for $39.99. Was wind-proof kept me warm in extream wind, dried super quick when it got wet from slight drizzle. It is on sale again for $39.99 and I will buy me another one for sure.
<>Cabelas Bino Harness. Worked gr8 to keep my 10x42 binos safe and out of the way, even while bow hunting. Bought it because I could not find a Butler Creek bino harness OTC.
<>Blacks Creek Jim Horn series Canadian Back Pack. Extreamly well made worked excellent for hauling all my daily use gear and keeping it well organized. Felt it was a bargin at $143.99 W/S&H
<>Primos Ivery hyper plate single reed elk call. Super easy call to master. It can make any bull or cow elk call you will ever need to make. Awesome cow calls and bugles.
<>Elk Nut CDs on how, when and what elk calls to make. Best calling instructional cd I have ever watched barr none.
<>Seal Skins water proof gloves. Awesome for use in cold windy, even rainy weather gun hunting.
<>ROCKY 100% sythetic 6 pocket jeans. Bought these on a email close out from Sportsmans Wherehouse for $17.95 a pair. I was over joyed at just how well they were made and they are IMHO 100% the equal to Cabelas Microtex pants and cost about 2/3rds less.
<>100% polypro midweight base layer LJs from Cabelas on sale for $9.99/ea for bottoms and long sleave tops or $19.99 a set. Bought for sets. Black in collor. Worked simply awesome at both help keeping me warm and at the same time wicking away moisture caused by my persperation and dried extreamy fast, both while I wore it as well as on the line. Sorry but I do not recall the exact product name, but they were feature on the front page of a Cabelas sale add about 2-3 months ago.

I would like to add some products that did not work at all well.
The fallowing anti-fog applications I used on my prescription glasses, and rear lenses of my binos, scope and spotter. Used all EXACTLY as instructed form the maker and none worked to stop my glasses or optics from fogging up.
<>Cat Crap
<>Parkers Perfect anti-fog
<>Scope dope.

Surplus wool German Army 6 pocket pants. A little more expensive than they used to be, but well worth it. Can sit in snow and stay warm. Can hike in heat and not overheat.

Hey Art, speaking of your 08 elk hunt, pm me on how you did. You hit me up for info on area 24 last spring and I provided some pointers. I pm'd you and sent an email but didn't get a reply. So let's hear the story...

For me...something as basic as the Claw sling I have on my rifle made a huge difference in comfort. It's wide, soft and does not move at all while I've got my gun slung on my shoulder.

Steve

I an very glad that I've bought the Jetboil stove which is much more efficient at cooking time and therefore uses less fuel saving weight in the backpack.
I am very happy about buying clothing that will dry quickly and will not stay wet. In my opinion this is one of the single most important peices of hunting gear a bivy hunter can invest in.
I am not happy with my Badlands 4500 back pack. It is very strong and probably will never come apart. The lifetime warranty is priceless. It feels great on my back and would probably carry a load of meat superbly. But I am very unhappy with the small pockets and the location for a hydration bladder. The bladder goes in the top of the pack and is top heavy when you are using it as a day pack and if you decide to use one of the pockets to carry your bladder you can just forget it because you cannot fit the bladder in any of the small pockets. Sure, as a meat carrier it is great but who cares. If I cannot fit a spotter into the pocket then what good is it?
I am very happy with my Matthews Drenalin Bow. Very quiet, lightweight and spot on accurate.

for sure it was my burris sig. select 12x50 binocs...also purchased a burris sig. select 4x16x44 scope. havent mounted it yet. burris glass is outstanding in my opinion.

Outdoor Research Helium Compression Sack. The best there is!

Cabala's MT050 GORE-TEX Quiet Pack Jacket. Only had to use it once but glad I had it. The wind can't get in at all.

SmartWool Expedition Trekking Sock. Good socks for any thing!

MSR Packtowl UltraLite. This thing is sweet.

Things I sent back.

Big Agnes Air Core REM Sleeping Pad Mummy. The best pad I have ever used but I want the Insulated Air Core pad for the extra warmth.

Sea To Summit 100% Premium Silk Mummy Sleeping Bag Liner w/ Hood. These things are a peace of junk! DO NOT BUY!

Best web sites to work with.

Cabelas.com DUH

Backcountry.com. As good or better then cabelas customer service.

Leupold. I will buy the products till I find better customer service thay can't be beat!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom