WHAT HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE AND RESPECT

ELK12

JUST A QUICK QUESTION SLASH RANT
WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE AND RESPECT
IF SOMEONE IS ALREADY ON THE RIDGE HUNTING WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU WALK PAST THEM 100 YARDS AND HUNT??
IS IT JUST THE WAY IT IS NOW THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO IT CAUSE YOU WANT TO?

I suppose we should get used to it? It gets worse each year.
This year on the archery hunt was as bad as Ive ever seen it for that kind of stuff. Complete lack of respect is right.

We figured if we had a spotting scope out, we might as well of had a sign that said ?Come glass right next to us, please. We don't mind at all?
In fact, I may just make a sign that says that for next year.

I agree with the lack of common sense/respect. But what about the guy that has 10 spotters? Someone sitting behind a spotting scope may not even have a tag. It is not right for one tag to reserve 10 ridges. If I have found what I am looking for and someone else is watching that ridge also should I go somewhere else? I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't blindly set up 100 yards from you or anyone else. If I knew what I was looking for I would glass the same ridge you were, but I would try to set up where you didn't know I was there.

It does seem that a treestand is an invitation for other to hang their stand in the next tree and hunt there.

A spotting scope is an invitation to stop and see what someone else has found.

A camping spot is an invitation for someone to pull in at midnight and set camp and start their damn generator.

On and on......

Some folks in our culture seem short on manners and respect for others.

Public property will always be fraught with these issues and I don't like them any more than the next (good) guy. After 5+ decades of big game hunting, I have some choice stories too.

Zeke

#livelikezac

86393f73f8dfad50143039706976a97978e23.jpeg

@screaminseagull

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-19 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p]>deerkiller you wouldn't be from utah
>or salt lake county would
>you

i lived in arizona for 5 years, and the rest of the 24 years i have been living in utah.
@screaminseagull

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-19 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]I will agree with you about 80%. I once was sitting overlooking a nice opening and someone else walked up, waved at me and sat down 100 yards from me to hunt the same small opening!

But I will be heading to Colorado in a week to hunt crowded woods. There are not many ridges or valleys without someone hunting there. If you happen to be where I plan to hunt opening morning it won't keep me from hunting the area, but I will walk past you and not hunt in your immediate vicinity.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-19 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]>Crowding and lack of respect are
>two very different things.

Yeah but it can also be the same. Crowding can be from lack of respect. Crowding can also give the impression of lack of respect, when in reality they have no where else to go without running into other hunters. I've run across both types countless times. The lack of respect ones get an earful. The ones with nowhere else to go usually just get a dirty look and that's it. It's the guys that come sit within spitting distance of you, 10 minutes before light, when you have been there for 45 minutes, and there's no one else for miles and miles, that's the jackholes I can't stand. And they'll be made aware of that.
@screaminseagull

>Lack of respect is rampant in
>today's "me!" society. Common courtesy
>is also on her death
>bed..

I definitely agree with that!

The same thing happens while fishing as well.
You arrive extra early to hike a mile and a half to your pre-determined ?choice? spot on the lake shore. You get set up and settle in. The sun is starting to lighten up the sky. You haven't seen or heard another soul since you left your vehicle. You?re starting to think you've got the entire place to yourself when 15 minutes later here comes a couple of loud mouth yahoo?s walking down the same trail.
You?re now desperately hoping at this point that they'll walk on past you to fish anywhere else along the 3 miles of equally accessible and productive lake bank.
But NOOOOOOPE!
They?re probably thinking that since you're here then certainly this must be ?THE? place to catch fish. Right?
They don't even have the common courtesy to politely greet you. They just loudly plop down all their crap not 25 feet from you and immediately start thrashing the previously dead flat calm surface of the lake into something that now strongly resembles a category 5 hurricane storm surge.
?TOTALLY CLUELESS? is probably the nicest thing I can say.

P.S. This is a true story.

Bess...Stop...Think....Technically they hunted harder than you. Sooo you were glassing from the road off your wheeler, They got out of their pickup, (because you had the road blocked with wheelers(correct me if I'm wrong). The Utah Way.......they Walked 100 yards off the road to glass the same canyon you did an hour earlier and your pissed??

That sense is not common, sadly. I suppose the unwritten rule of respect and courtesy needs to be written?

For me, I just anticipate that sort of ignorance and behavior so I plan accordingly by having a Plan B, C and D.

I don't do well with crowds, so I try to out-hunt them or beat them to the spot early or wait until the last week of the season when things tend to quiet down.

I've already resigned myself to believing this is the way things are.

It's all part of the same entitlement mentality; the guy who sets up 100 yards up the ridge, and the guy that got there first then b!tches that someone is invading his space!

Public land is a shared resource, get used to it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-19 AT 06:52AM (MST)[p]I avoid a lot of it by never hunting rifle seasons or popular units.

The last time a guy came and sat down next to me to only to jump on his radio and yell at his buddies to what he was seeing. I regret NOT correcting him.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-19 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]It wasn't on a deer hunt but a few years back my buddy and I had a perfect setup on a large field of harvested wheat with several wild sunflowers. The field was surrounded by juniper trees and was about 300 yards by 200 yards. The doves would circle around the field. We would shoot a few and then wait for the next wave to come by.

Enter a couple of jerk hunters that come and set up about 70 yards to our left. They could have gone anywhere along the edge of the field and had just as good of opportunity. These guys made it so we couldn't shoot where we had been getting doves.

To make it worse, when the next wave came by the shooter closest to us tracked the doves with his shotgun and continued to swing through pulling the trigger with us in his shot path. My buddy was closer and took the brunt of the pellets. Luckily we ducked and were wearing coats so nothing penetrated.

I've never been so mad in my life. I yelled at them that you'd better leave now because once is a mistake, but I'll be defending myself if it happens again.

As a novice hunter I have to say that I'm enjoying the comments on this post. I feel like I'm getting a PHD education in what NOT to do, lol.

Hopefully I'll be putting it to good use at the end of this month, but fingers crossed and I'll have decided to set up in a quiet part of my NM unit.

Keep the stories coming...very entertaining and educational.

cheers.

I had a tree stand in eastern oregon. It was a mile in on a gated road then another 500 yards or so up the hill. One morning I pull up to head for my stand and there is a pickup parked at the gate. My wife drops me off and as I am walking past the truck the guys start barking at me. I explained that there was plenty of land behind that gate and I was sitting in a tree stand. As they continued their whining I turned away and walked off down the road in the darkness. I don't know if they left or followed me but I killed my first archery elk that day. My stand didn't reserve a spot any more than his truck. IT IS PUBLIC LAND

I love the simple elegance of that encounter and I'm sort of planning a similar approach.

My sons and I have planned as much as possible. Done a bit of scouting in person (not much however), and done a TON of "E-scouting" and planning, but of course there are many variations on the quote "No plan survives first contact with the enemy" or in this case....Other Hunters.

So my plan should our routes to, or our desired hunting locations be occupied (although we plan to be in place early) will be to quietly make contact with the other hunters (if practicable) ensure them we have no intentions of encroaching and comparing map data as to their intentions and immediately make alternate plans b, c, d, etc our new priority and wish them good luck as we move on.

Hopefully that keeps the ire to a minimum.

Other hunters where I hunt are so common place that we've included them in our plans. If you hunt a place over and over again, you learn the escape routes the deer use. We count on the other hunters pushing the deer. We just make sure were in the right spots before the other hunters.

Sometimes you just have to adjust to the reality of public land. It sure would be fun to have the canyon I hunt to myself one week but I doubt it'll ever happen.

I'm sure we'll figure it out...

If I come up on someone watching a draw, for example, and our route is going to take us to one side of it, I'll try to give em a heads up..something like "Friend..we'll be going about half mile around the south side of this draw..so watch the north end..we may flush something out for you in about half an hour"

Maybe some karma will come our way, lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom