What insulated big game cooler do you use?

Buckblaster

I'm looking to either build an insulated container or buy one for a hunt during warm weather. I need something that will keep groceries cold in camp for 5 days then store a quartered elk (with ribcage boned out) for transport home. I would use this for out of state hunts 1000 miles away as well as hunts within a days drive. What do you guys use that works well and doesn't cost a fortune?

I use military down sleeping bags. You can find the old ones cheap. They don't take up much room and hold alot when you need 'em. Just throw some dry ice inside on your way home.
And for the guys afraid to cape out their heads and can't fit them in a cooler, you can wrap the air-cooled head up with the sleeping bag with dry-ice inside.

I saw one last year made out of 3/4 plywood with a piece of installtion (the hard kind that comes in 4x8 sheets)it was about 3" thick it fit right up behind the cab of the truck you could put a couple of elk in it.
The lid had some good hardware(hinges and latch) and the lid fit in nice and tight on a wood ledge. I believe he had dry ice in it and for 5 days it kept everything frozen inculding drinks.
I think he said it cost him about a 100 bucks to make it. I'm think about making one for myself this fall(If i draw any hunts) LOL
wish I would took some pictures of it, because it was nice.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I use an old chest freezer.
I have an old 15 cubic foot chest freezer that I put in the back of my truck. Line the bottom with block ice and keep your groceries in it. Plenty of room for an elk. In fact, I've had 2 boned out elk in mine with room to spare. Plus, when traveling, If I stop to spend the night somewhere I can plug in the freezer.

LAST EDITED ON May-21-09 AT 08:40AM (MST)[p]Icey-Tek/Yeti, probably the last cooler you'll buy.

We use and 4'x4'x2.5' insulated box made by one of our group. the box is alunimum with 2" sheet foam insulation between the aluminum sheet metal. It will hold 3 elk quartered with ribscage boned out and some ice. It keeps meat cold for several days. I don't know what he had to spend to make it. I think he recycled old signs. He is in the sign business.

Phantom Hunter

I constructed my insulated box out of 1"X 1" pine for the frame and used 1/4" plywood for the outer shell. 1" hard foam insulation, type with foil on both sides, to fit inside the 1"X1" frame and finished the inside with 1/8 panels. Hinged top is 1-3/8" thick, same construction as box. used foam weather stripping tape to make air tight seal between box and lid.
box size is 5' long, just wide enought to fit between wheel wells of pickup bed and 20" in height.
Will carry 2 or 2-1/2 elk quarters with 25 pounds of dry ice and will keep meat cold 3-4 days with ease.
I can load this box by myself into the bed. If you use plywood that is thicker then 1/4" you will need help to load and unload empty box.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom