What is the hardest tag/animal to draw?

Texas Desert Bighorn Sheep tag in the Public draw.

1 tag and 5447 applications last year!

IDK about the hardest specific tag, but the hardest animal by far is desert sheep. Odds are long in every state.

Historically is has been a desert sheep tag.
While there are certainly specific tags which have an overall lower chance of drawing, desert sheep remain the most difficult tag to obtain IMHO.
I look at it this way: I can hunt deer or elk every year so it cannot be one of those regardless of specific geographic regulatory anomalies.
You can also hunt a Rocky mountain bighorn sheep OTC but don't ever expect an OTC desert sheep tag.
Zeke

Except for a few on here, most agree that any of the Big Horn Sheep along with Mtn Goats are the hardest to draw.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

You'd have to break it down by specific hunts/units/states.

Among the toughest to draw sheep hunts would be a 680 MT Breaks ram tag for a NR, with odds of about 1:2200 this year. At the same time there are bighorn tags in Colorado with draw odds of better than 1:30.

There are Utah Mt Goat tags with extremely low odds, but at the same time Idaho's Mt Goat tags run about 1:40 odds for NR's.

You can pull some limited Elk tags in Colorado with 100% odds. At the same time, a Utah San Juan Bull Elk tag in the random draw this year had odds of 1:1700 for NR's. Interestingly, your odds to draw a NR Desert Bighorn tag in Colorado were 1:387, meaning roughly 5 times better odds than drawing the San Juan bull tag.

So the only point is, you can't really characterize "tough to draw" by just naming the species. But if I had to pick just one species to stand alone as the toughest tag to draw period, it would probably be a Desert Bighorn Ram. At the same time, you could pick up the phone tomorrow and book a hunt in Mexico.

I agree with sticksender.
There's not an animal in North America, which can be hunted, that you can't hunt somewhere with lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom