What makes an animal tough to bring down?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
What I mean is, I have heard sheep are easy (wish I could add my 2 cents!). I know the toughest animals I have heard of are bison and oryx (gemsbucks). I have taken both - and they are tough.
My question is how can one species take the same bullet in the same place and stay up many times longer then the same size animal of another species? I am not talking about the oddball situation. I am saying the an 800# bison will take a LOT more to put down (or stay up longer) then a 800# pound elk.

My friend and I discussed this during our recent WY bison hunt. We developed 2 theories:

1. slower metabolism (I think mostly heart rate). Simply put they die slower. Shower heart rate = slower bleeding.

2. Tougher, literally tougher structure. Bison and oryx are the 2 toughest animals to eat. I doubt it is a coincidence that they are also the toughest to bring down. I suspect a bison lungs react to a bullet/BH differently then, say an elk. I thin like a dull broadhead vs a razor sharp one. The dull BH pushes stuff without cutting, a sharp one cuts more. Tough lung tissue moves more and gets cut less.

If you talk to those with experience taking many bison and may oryx (as well as many other big game animals) they will say bison and oryx are tougher to put down. Why?

PLEASE do not cite the time a bison died from a pin prick or a small whitetail doe ran a mile with a 300 mag in the lungs. I am talking in general.

It has to have something to do with biology. Also when I say put down, I know a well shot animal will die but a bison will take far longer then an elk. They are both dead after the 1st shot but the bison (or oryx) takes many times longer then a similar sized animal shot the same way.

I have the same post on bowsite and wanted input here too:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=438699&messages=27&forum=5

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-14 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]I read the thread on Bowsite. Seems like Size and anatomy are the determining factors

+1
I have always heard Oryx is some of the best eating game there is.
I have no personal experience to compare.
I am guessing bone structure/anatomy have something to do with sucking up lead. I hear mountain goats are tough to bring down. They are slab sided stocky creatures as compared to round bodied thin legged pronghorn which seem to go down very easily.

Bad shots make animals tough to kill...good shots and its over fast.

Oryx and bison are no exception.

I think some animals are harder to kill because people don't understand their anatomy. I know this is true for black bears and wild pigs. My granddad shot a bison three times in the neck with a 338 Win Mag and didn't hit the spine once. Seems it was lower in the mass than he thought.----------SS

I don't give a fark what u shoot....double lung it and it's dead in shot order...u can boys can saverify it

No experience on bison, but my friends killed two cow bison a couple weeks ago and they went right down to 300 Win Mags in the lungs. Moose I have found are tough as they come for staying on their feet, especially after a bad shot which gets their adrenaline up. A big slow muzzleloader bullet in the lungs on moose seems to take forever for them to fall over.

I've killed 25 gemsbok (oryx) in Africa and none required second shots or lived long. Add to that, they are some of the finest eating of all African animals, second only to eland!

I have yet to have bad oryx. It is my favorite wild game to eat. I've had the meat from two from NM and it was tender and very tasty. Oryx vitals are a little off from most wild game and I believe people just don't learn the right aiming point and miss the vitals. When hit properly they will go down fairly easily. I went on a hunt with a buddy and his oryx dropped in its tracks. I think bison are thickly built and a good bullet is necessary for good penetration.

The three most important things in regard to killing animals quickly:

Shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement...roughly in that order.

My personal experience with a sample of 2 oryx, is they travel about 40-50 yards and die with a lung hit when using a 7RM and 160 accubonds.

When shot with a .257 weatherby mag and 100 grain tsx, in the shoulder, they drop on the spot.

Pretty well in line with elk, antelope, deer, moose, etc. etc. etc.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom