What price victory???

C

Coach Hunt

Howdy,

The price of victory is sometimes so dear and so great, that the victory itself becomes secondary. I use for example this latest State Championship in Track and Field which my team won. During the first day of competition, called the 'prelim day,' my best high hurdler, a senior, was walking up to the blocks for his 110 meter high hurdle race. As a coaching staff, we had just been informed that back home, some 500 miles away, his mother had just passed away. It was to be our job as his coaches, to break the bad news to him after this race. He was rated second in the entire state in this event, and second by only 6 one-hundredths of a second. He had been training for this one race for his entire track career. He had been offered scholarships based on his placement at the State Championships. He got into his blocks and got ready. The gun sounded, and he was charged with a false start. In our state, the false start disqualified him. Later cameras and videos proved he was indeed innocent, the false start was by the young athlete next to him, but there are no appeals allowed! He was out.

He ran to the middle of the stadium, fell on his face, and cried because in his own mind, he had let his team down. It was my unenviable job to pick him up, take him to the shade of a large tree some 200 yards away, and explain to him that in addition to false starting, his mother had just passed away.

With the bad news, our young athlete fell again to the ground to once again begin his agonizing weeping. I held him as I would hold a 2 year old who had skinned a knee. All three coaches and our hurdler cried shamelessly for about half an hour. When at last his composure begin to return with time and fatigue, his first words were, "I'm not going to let this team down!" We explained that whatever he decided to do, he would not be letting his team down. We were prepared to fly him back home to be with his father and the rest of his family, but his decision was firm. He decided to stay with his team. He called his team his family!

With that decision made, we informed the rest of the team about what had happened. All of a sudden, the year long quest for a state championship was of secondary importance, and the team rallied around a hurting "family" member.

An incredible thing happened next. As word of the unfortunate circumstances spread throughout the stadium, our team started performing on the track in memory of our family member's mother. All of a sudden, everyone was running personal record times, jumping personal bests, and throwing further than ever before. The second day, finals, the incredible efforts increased. The 400 relay team got 4th, they were seeded 8th, a freshman high hurdler was not seeded at all but ran 3rd in the finals of the race where our senior hurdler was disqualified. At the awards stand, in one of the classiest acts I have witnessed in over 30 years of coaching, the freshman GAVE his third place medal to our greiving senior. To make a long story somewhat shorter, at the end of the day, just before the mile relay, our greiving hurdler had placed second in the 300 hurdles with the best time of his life. We had the meet won, we did not have to run the mile relay. Our team voted to run the race anyway, and let our greiving hurdler anchor the relay as an honor to him and to his mother. With nothing to win, they were dead last, but it was our anchor leg, our greiving senior hurdler, not the first and second place relays who got the cheers from the crowd. As he crossed the finish line, there was not a dry eye in the entire stadium, and the classy greiving senior hurdler was awarded the state championship trophy and banner. He then gave the trophy to the coaches and the banner to me. I have no words to express the maturity and class of youngsters like that. I just feel extremely priviledged to get to work with them.

The State Championship Banner now hangs in my classroom. I would give it up in an instant for my young hurdler to have his mother back again, but as he told me..."that was the only way my mom could have watched me run!"

I enjoy coaching champions like that!!!

So you see, all you folks' words of encouragement, and all the kind things you say here on this forum my kids read. What a wonderful blessing you folks are to my students. From the bottom of my grizzled old heart, THANK YOU.

Coach

Coach, The real blessing is you sharing that story with all of us!!!! You have touched my heart strings with your hurdlers story.
This is truly an amazing story filled with compassion,love and respect. Please convey my heartfelt sympathy to your young man for his loss..and then again congratulate him for his courage,dedication and loyalty to his teamates...Those are obvious traits he recieved from his mother and father..Coach. thank you for helping to develope such great character in our young people. Coaching kids leaves lasting memories in their minds as well as yours. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD!!!.
Your friend, Keith Fish.

I cannot explain why, but out of tragedy and loss are formed the foundations of greatness! I have seen it time and again. Pain and grief strip away the thin veneer of pride and bare our souls honestly , clearly revealing what we are truly made of, I find the true makeup of a person when they are put in the position of your athlete that lost his mother, I only wish that all people could at all times come to this revelation and throw away all the uneccessary B.S away! Thank You for the inspirational post!-------(HunterHarry)

LAST EDITED ON May-20-03 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]Times like those are often defining moments in a person's life. The unfairness of life can crush you or you can rise up against it, and the path you choose really reveals a lot about your character. Without knowing one other thing about this kid, I say he will go on in life and be successful in whatever he decides to do because he's got heart and dedication, and no small amount of guts. I know people like this, and they are winners in life. I know the other sort, too, and they do fine when the going is easy, but are worthless in adversity, and it's always someone else's fault when they ultimately and inevitably fail.

My condolences to the boy and his family, and Congratulations to the whole lot of you.

(Still sucks about the DQ, though.)
HB

Howdy,

Ruthie and I hosted our young friend this evening for supper. After supper he read all the kind things you folks wrote about him and for him. "I'm speechless, in a million years I never thought people would feel like that. People I've never seen in my life nor ever met said things like that...that's really cool."

Thanks folks.

Coach

Coach, a story like that is a testament to the job that you and your coaches are doing to build character in America's youth. Despite claims to the contrary, it's living proof that our youth are not a lost cause: they just need the right guidance, encouragement and love from us, as well as the benefit of our wisdom. Congratulations on your state championship, but especially congratulations on having such a positive, indelible impact on that young man, the team, and probably a lot of spectators in the stands that you'll never meet.

God bless!

I hope and pray that my children have role models such as yourself to look up to while in school. Coach, thank you for sharing that story and please let the young man know that he is in my prayers,

Drummond

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom