What to do about a rifle without a serial number???

berto

Very Active Member
i am getting ready to move from MT to AK, which means i have to pass thru CAN. I couldn't sleep last night so I started completing the CAN firearm declaration paperwork and found that one of the .22 caliber rifles my grandfather left me when he passed away about 15 years ago does not have a serial number on it. No trace of there ever having been a number anywhere on it. It appears the wooden stock was replaced, and since my grandfather was a woodworker i am pretty sure he did it, but i do not see any way the new stock could cover the serial number on the rifle barrel.

Any ideas what I can do about this so I can take it with me to AK?

Thanks in advance.

The numbers are usually on the recievers, it could be under the 'wood' in the stock.

What brand/model is it?

I would think, as iron says, that you could just ship it to yourself or have someone ship it to yourself by UPS or post office.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If the gun was made prior to 1968, it may not have a serial number. In 1968 Fed. Law was passed to require all firearms made that year and after would have to have a serial number on the frame or receiver. Several brands of the older 22 rifles and shotguns did not have serial numbers.

RELH

If you have your new address, mail it to yourself via USPS express, registered, insured.

Get a set of stamps and make your own number...:)
---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

thanks for the tips guys, but i don't think mailing a firearm is legal. i went ahead and gave it to my dad for safe keeping instead of paying the $100 or so to have it shipped from FFl holder to FFL holder. maybe some day i'll get it back from my dad, maybe not ;-)

>If you have your new address,
>mail it to yourself via
>USPS express, registered, insured.

can't send a gun to yourself, it has to pass thru a FFL first federal offence if caught...

It IS legal to ship firearms to yourself, FFL's, manufacturers, etc. You should have no problem shipping it to yourself. Check it out on the BATF website under FAQ's.
HB <--(He's a lawyer, really.)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom