What to do advice????

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I been earning Oregon points for 10 years, 10 each for deer and antelope, 8 for elk.

DEER FIRST:
Everything I read about Oregon deer is discouraging although I know a few good ones are taken every year, just not consistently. I'm willing to hunt any weapon and the North Warner late muzzy was my goal until they did away with it a couple of years ago.

ANTELOPE:
Getting close to a tag, next 3-4 years maybe. Any specific area I should wait for???

ELK:
Thinking the Snake River unit. Before burning points, I'd like to hunt it archery first which I believe is OTC. That won't be this year (9 PPs then). If I do it the year after, I'll have 10 PPs after the archery hunt. Then I could be close to a Walla Walla archery tag. Should I just wait for a couple of years 3-4 to get the Walla Walla tag?? I have horses to hunt the Snake and believe a 10 days archery hunt would be fun and a good investment for the rifle hunt.

Deer is easy, northbank habitat so you can kill a columbian whitetail, only state with that opportunity. Second choice is the White River late hunt, chance for a big black/muley cross.

Antelope, one choice for me, Juniper

Elk, wait for the Walla Walla elk bow, especially if you have horses.

It is that simple to me

Rich

Unless you like killing rats, stay clear of the North Bank hunt. Those are the dinkest of dink whitetails regardless of how rare they are. Attempt to get the White River Late.

Antelope? Easy....Steens. The top book heads killed recently have came out of the Steens. There are places in the Steens, on public land that the antelope don't even get hunted.

Elk? I'd probably stay in line for either the Walla Walla or Mt Emily bow.

If I had the points I would put in for late white river rifle or late metolius archery or muzz for deer. Those I think are the two best hunts in Oregon for deer. They are tough to get.

For elk, walla walla or mt emily.

Antelope I would go to the Steens too, Juniper is also a good one. Steens for the scenery though would be really cool, I love it down there. Check ODFW's drawing stats on their webpage and see where you're sitting and see what the reality of drawing is.

antelope first
it takes 13 points for 100% at juniper rifle
it takes12 points to be 100% for steens
so if your not going to draw anyway till you 2 or 3 more points you would have the best hunt on an ARCHERY HART MOUNTAIN TAG which you get at 13 points

elk: same as every one go for your walla walla tag.

deer if i had 10 points i would wait 2 more yrs and draw the metolius late tag. archery. 12 points 100%
or 3 more yrs and draw the Juniper late hunt with 13 points 100% BY FAR the best 2 tags in the state.
if you just want to see what you can draw right now and hunt that is another story, let us know

Thanks for the advice guys. No I don't just want to hunt now. With the good elk huntin in other states, I'm contant to wait for the Walla Walla.

The Juniper has kinda been my goal but not sure 3 years is all it's gonna take.

I like the Steens antelope idea a lot. Guess thats my goal there.

PP everything this year except Sheep.

It's true the Steens has put out some great goats but times change, I'd look hard at other units.

My buddy and his wife both had Steens goat tags last year even with access to one of the largest blocks of private in the unit they hunted the entire season and came home with one so so goat. he's a great hunter and knows the unit, he was very disappointed in the number and quality of the animals they found.

Deer- anywhere in Eastern Oregon should be great

elk- anywhere in Eastern Oregon should be great

goat- who cares

Oh I'm sorry I'm still living in the late 8o's early 90's

Give Oregon another five years we won't have to worry about hunting. It will be called camping with a firearm.

Have a great day!!

What's wrong with firearm camping? The beer tastes better when you know there is no sense getting up too early to kill a 2 point.

OK... I know there is a few big ones still out there... if the wolves haven't got em yet.

My advice for antelope: I live in Burns, and get to scout all of this country pretty regularly. You are on a good track with 10 points, but plan to use closer to 15 and you'll have a shot at a B&C buck. The "ORegon Tag Guide" can be misleading. Try this website out instead:

http://ronwold.googlepages.com/

I'm not going to give away my honey hole, but I'll say this, if you have 10 points you can just about guarantee yourself an 80+ inch antelope in the next 5 years with several units down here. But, you should understand the enormous difference between what you can get in 5 years and what you could get now with only 10. With 10 points, I couldn't guarentee you a 14" buck... hold out, it'll be worth it.

ROBINSG61LE: very cool site. i've never seen it before, i like it!
i have never had the percentage tags book go wrong as long as the person applying dont make a mistake on their part.i do know a couple guys who haven't drawn even if the book said they wereover 80% chance of drawing but that does leave 20% who wont draw. and another mistake is a group applying and someone having less points than they thought and pulls the whole group into another pool. but what i did like about that site was the "HOW MANY YRS BEFORE DRAWING" that is VERY cool! thanks for the link

Cali,
I would have to agree with everyone, you should wait for either the Walla Walla or Mt. Emily. Both units have been producing some good bulls.

>Cali,
> I would have to
>agree with everyone, you should
>wait for either the Walla
>Walla or Mt. Emily.
>Both units have been producing
>some good bulls.

Don't say that to loud, ODFW will find a way to screw it up......

From everything I have heard about Oregon the last 5 years, you won't have to worry about wolf encroachment. Wolves are too smart to move into an area without food. LMAO

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-09 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-09 AT 07:08?PM (MST)

No way I would ever wait for Wenaha, Walla Walla or Mt Emily as a NR(or a NR for myself). You could hunt another unit many times before you draw one of these. Do your home work and you have a better chance shooting a 320+ bull with multiple chances in another unit than waiting forever for one chance in one of those units. And it's a hell of a lot more fun hunting big bulls multiple times rather than one.

Killerbee: You're right on about the "YRS before draw" being a huge piece. That is what the O.T.G. is missing. Before I understood the system better, I thought that if the OTG said it took 10 points to draw a tag and I had 8 points, I would draw in 2 years... obviously way wrong. The Ron Wold website clears up that confusion... and it's free!

My advice would be to chalk the last few years upto a loss and not send odfw anymore money. That is all they want is your money and they dont care about the game you or anybody else wants to hunt, I know because I live here. I think I would pay out of state fees someplace else and have a better opportunity to kill a decent buck or bull. Just my .02.

just to not get you down: IF you hunt hard you can do just fine here on ANY GENERAL hunt. me and the group of buddies i hunt with have done good for a lot of yrs hunting this "crappy" state. i think anyone who has troubles hunting quality animals need to turn their ignition to there trucks off and try walking. i can list tons of 300"+ bulls killed and 165"+ bucks killed each yr. that may not be good enough for some but i will be happy hunting these animals EVERY YEAR!

Guys, I realize Oregon has good archery elk huntin. No doubt!

I hunted archery elk for 2 weeks last year in another state. The rut only lasts so long and I've learned other areas outside Oregon. I hunt Colorado archery elk OTC for 2 years, then a unit that takes 2 PPs the third year. I've got time in those hills already. I'm glad you guys have done the same in Oregon (learn an area)

Initially, a group of us would do the depredation cow hunt Thankgiving week. I drew with my dad and daughter in "00". Been applying ever since but due to a lack of interest from others or conflicts in my schedule, I got to 4 points and started looking at the High Desert hunt due to either sex and longer season. Son had football every fall so we PPd it, Then I considered the Snake when I got to 7. Antelope in 2 states, archery elk plus Canadian goose hunt I PPd it last year.

Now i look up and I've got some points plus other irons in the fire so i was looking for a 5 year plan. I can always go archery as my bailout if I don't draw elsewhere. I am very intrigued by the Snake though since I've got stock.

I appreciate all of the imput!

KILLERBEE: Sounds like you need your own t.v. show.

I don't think most of the people on this site are road hunters, they are just stating the faxs that this state has been going down hill for a few years now. Yes there are some animals left of course, just the numbers are getting scary bad for mule deer.

Have a good day!!

no i dont need my own, but i have guided on 3 tv shows[ but i dont know how this topic and t.v. shows relate?? maybe we should watch LESS T.v. shows and scout MORE.....]
deer hunting has bombed here, but if anyone think that on the same general hunts in other states are always a cake walk then your misslead aswell. all states are better if you hunt harder. just an opinion i guess....

I just brought up the t.v. show because your last entry sounded like you were getting close to hero status and telling people to get out of their trucks and hunt harder. I think overall you have good hunters on this web-site and yes this state deserves to be bad mouthed. Our group use to take good bucks in our unit in the late 80's and early 90's. Last 5-7 years it has turned into a joke, last year I hunted four days before I even seen a deer and they ran from me like they saw satin. On the topic of scouting more, yes you can go find a few good bucks during scouting trips but between the unchecked poachers and with all the tags Oregon gives out and hunters in the woods it is hard to go find something that you seen scouting. Talked to a sheep herder in our unit and he says he hears more shots out of season than he hears during the season. have a good day!

not trying to be a hero at all. i have hunted alot of different unitws in oregon and if you talk to the majority they tell you how bad it is and how they cant find a deer. usually you can also goin the same area and hunt harder and turn up SOMETHING. what unit are you hunting?
i'm not saying its great , but you can make it better than what your making it out to be. if you were out for 4 COMPLETE days before you seen a deer you need to move areas.can you glass where your at or is it to thick? it is tougher hunting thicker country where you have to walk in hopes if stumbleing onto someting. once again if so move areas.
if you hunt hard you CAN do fairly decent still. and you dont have to be a hero or superman to do it.

I have hunted the ukiah unit for years and the animals have really took a hit the last five years. I have taken three good bucks 170-180 range out of that unit and seen a few more goods ones that got away. If you hunted hard you could find a mature buck, but that has changed. Even the guys that hunt that unit for elk I know have stopped seeing those big bucks you see during elk season. This area is hard to glass, to many thickets and access roads. I guess it is time to move in deeper but my dad is 66 and he is my hunting partner so until he gives it up I can't really put on a pack and go. It is just hard to see your hunting area go bad so fast, I hunt elk in the chesnim. unit and see a few good bucks there but not what it use to be there either. later, Have a good day

Back
Top Bottom