what to do with an arizona hunting license

ToddT

Okay, I swore off buying the Arizona nonresident hunting license after I drew my elk tag. But after two seasons, I dove back in. I really don't mind buying the license, I live to help, and hunt, most any wildlife - sorry if that statement sounds ironic. Anyway, I just wish I could make use of my $160 license, so what advice do you guys have concerning how to best use my license. I have always heard I could deer hunt, but have no clue as to where to go. To be honest, I wouldn't mind not killing anything, but after the license fees, tag fees, travel, etc. I would at least want to see animals. Knowing they are there, and seeing them regularly, and not tagging out, in my opinion, is no big deal. On the other hand, paying out all of these expenses, and seeing nothing, really sucks. I think everyone can agree. Also, I thought of Javelina, but again, I really do not know where to start.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I realize that most others want someone with questions to be more specific, but I really have no clue and am hoping for simple unit suggestions for starting points for the archery deer, or Javelina hunts. This would be greatly appreciated.

Or if someone has a suggestion for a hunt that I have not mentioned I am all ears. Obviously you can send a private message if you want to keep the information from being spread all over the internet.

Thanks for any advice.

PIG, DEER archery. Dove hunting, Fishing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Can you point me to a couple of units where I would at least have a good time. Like I said, I don't have to kill anything, but I don't want to look for a needle in a haystack.

Buy an OTC deer tag and you can hunt most of the state. Early archery runs from 8/22 to 9/13 and hunting in the higher elevation units can be fun. Late archery runs from 12/12 to 1/31 and is a rut hunt, some units don't open until 1/1. Meanwhile, you can build points for the Kaibab archery hunt. Take the one day non-resident hunter safety course, apply for deer for 5 years straight and you will have two points as long as you continue to apply every year. The Kaibab archery tag takes three points to draw, so you could hunt there every other year and hunt the OTC hunts every year. If you don't see deer on the Kaibab, you are staying in your tent.

Bottom line, you can enjoy archery deer hunting in AZ for nine weeks every year, hunt the rut and hunt the Kaibab every other year. Not a bad deal.

Thanks sagebrush. Obviously I had heard of the Kaibab, but I didn't realize you could draw it with three points for archery. I realize that it is probably a tough hunt as it is pretty much wide open, but again, just like I said, I would be content with seeing game, even if I didn't bring one home. Plus the fact that you never know what may happen, especially after you learn an area.

You can use the license for archery deer in august or january.
August for deer hunt any of the northern units The deserts in january. You could hunt the desert in august , but brutal hot I did it one year that was enough for me. Javelina rifle or archery pretty easy to draw a tag. Quail, dove & predators. As
far as where to go check out cousewhitetail.com its an az website with lots of good info. Hope this helps.

Okay you guys have me pretty much cleared up on where to deer hunt. So could you suggest a unit for javelin, even if it is a draw that took a couple or few years, I would like to hunt for them with my bow in particular. I killed a couple in Texas last year with my rifle, but we were actually in transit while hunting aoudad, and we happened up on a group, not much of a hunt. But then we were out on foot hunting aoudad and came up on a huge male - I guess they are called boar. Now that would have been and enjoyable kill, but as I had already killed two, the outfitter didn't want me to kill any more. But again, that was pretty enjoyable spotting them, then getting close enough for a shot, even though I didn't get to shoot in that situation.

Anyway, I have been told that some areas they are plentiful and other areas you may hunt really hard and never see a one. So with all of the expense, and coming so far, I would like to at least get into a unit with a high population.

Thanks again for all the help so far. Most likely the earliest I will make a trip will be in December or January of this coming year.

There are also plenty of leftover rifle deer tags for coues whitetail in the units along the Mexico border. You can also hunt archery turkey during the early fall archery deer seasons.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

dont forget 3 types of quail, ducks and geese, sandhills,pheasant, turkey bandtail pigeon,euraisan dove all year,half the state is public land from mexico to utah.the only state with more to hunt is california

you'd find pigs in 33, if you hunt them in the fall you may want to grab a bear tag as well. Lion hunting is nearly year round as well and plenty of reasonably priced guys will run either with dogs for you. lots of quail in 33 as well. One thing noone has mentioned either are over the counter rifle elk hunts there are several in the state, that produce decent bulls every year.

You might want to think about applying for Unit 18B.

There are archery, HAM (Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloaader) hunts and general rifle hunts too.

Also archery deer over the counter in January. Draw a pig tag, pick up the deer tag, and you'll have all the fun you want!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

1836001_1.jpg

50592002_18b_javelina.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/2114happy_pig_hunters!2.jpg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom