What to do with my points?

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
Ive got 15 Elk 15 Deer and 13 Lope points and I can only afford to do one hunt this next year. what would you guys do? I really need to burn these points in the next few years because I'm getting little beat up from age and would not like leave them unfilled.
Bigfish

Guided or unguided?

Lots of questions could nudge you in a ton of different directions.

Wait for the "I will share points with you" crowd to show up.

Elk are really the only species doing ok in Wyoming right now. Good luck.

I was referring more to the antelope and deer. My sons and I were offered free diy ranch antelope hunts two year ago for use of our points. Non trophy though.

I had one guy like that last year he would pay for my points and would pack me in with his horses and when he asked me this year and I brought I paying for my tag he did not like the deal. he goes by jq23
Might want to adjust your "price".

The guy has horses, vet bills, feed bills, tack, a horse trailer, truck, etc. etc. that require a lot of money to acquire and maintain.

He's offering to pack you in, likely share his area, for half your points, which cost you $750 over the past 15 years.

Then you ask for him to pay for your tag?

I think I'd tell you to pound sand too, don't blame him one bit.

Might want to adjust your "price".

The guy has horses, vet bills, feed bills, tack, a horse trailer, truck, etc. etc. that require a lot of money to acquire and maintain.

He's offering to pack you in, likely share his area, for half your points, which cost you $750 over the past 15 years.

Then you ask for him to pay for your tag?

I think I'd tell you to pound sand too, don't blame him one bit.Well
Well I guess I would not say anything if I didn't get a text saying that was what he was going to do! So I should pound sand for that?

Last edited:
I would burn those elk points first. If guided better yet. Pretty bad antelope and deer winterkill in parts of western Wyo. For antelope, I'd wait at least 2 years and let the population recover (hopefully). Hunting goats is typically a short inexpensive hunt which you can fit in anytime, especially with 13+ points.

Like several others have advised I’d use your elk pts first. It sounds like you aren’t getting any younger. Elk hunts themselves as well as packing a whopper bull out can obviously be physically challenging.

Right now elk numbers and size are pretty darn good on many scattered units across Wyo. If you pick elk as your species of choice you can narrow down units pretty fast depending upon what type of terrain and hunt you prefer.

Guided, nonguided, grizz country, wilderness, open country, early vs late season, bow vs rifle, public vs private ground. $ can get you on prime, lightly hunted private land. Type 9 elk hunts have their benefits and weaknesses.

There are other factors to consider such as how many cow hunters are in the field, timing of rut, hunting pressure, etc. local knowledge can be invaluable.

In regard to antelope and deer…as Buzz and others have mentioned deer and antelope numbers and quality are pretty sad across Wyo right now. There are still great bucks harvested but it may take a bit of luck and a lot of work.

It’s tough to say if this downward trend continues? Another severe winter, ehd, drought, etc could make things even worse. Hopefully the trend starts the other direction soon! There may be localized areas where bucks are doing just fine? It may take time or advise from others to figure these out?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom