WHAT TO DO?????

N

nmhunter1975

MY SON IS IN HIS SECOND YEAR OF FOOTBALL AND IS 4-0. THEY HAVE A REAL STRONG TEAM AND SHOULD MAKE IT TO PLAY-OFFS AND TO THEIR SUPER BOWL. BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I THINK THE SUPER BOWL MIGHT BE THE SAME WEEKEND AS OUR DEER HUNT. THIS ALL SO WOULD BE HIS FIRST DEER HUNT. SO ITS A TOUGH CHOICE FOR HIM AND I TO MAKE. IT WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM IF I COULD GO ON ANOTHER HUNT BUT MY VACATION DAYS ARE ALL READY TAKEN WITH OTHER HUNTS.

Well, call me old fashioned but.... If you join a team you have made a commitment, it kind of defines a team. If you can't make it, illness, injury, emergency.. fine. But you don't chose other plans and better deal your team, or a friend. Sometimes responsibility blows.

If he plays very little and won't see the field but rarely, maybe he's younger or not first string, I'd have him go ask the coach for his OK. Otherwise I'd be comming to camp after the game.

That's a tough one. I know that like the rest of us, hunting probably means a lot to you, but I think that you would really regret not seeing your son play in a great game like that.

If it was me, I think that I would go to the game and figure out a modified hunting plan.

Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever decision that you make.

Scenarios
number one: He goes hunting and bags a buck, and his team wins/loses their superbowl.

number two: He goes hunting, harvests nothing, and his team wins/loses their superbowl.

number three: He stays, and his team wins their superbowl.

number four: He stays, and they lose their superbowl.

Tough one. How many more games before the hunt? They still might not make it to the playoffs.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Sorry,
I was being a little sarcastic. Do what your son wants you to do. He won't lie to you. I agree with Chef. Let him know of all of the scenarios. He might be able to make your decision for you. I recall all of my sports memories and none of them can overcome my first deer with dad memory. That was the best time,and the memories are more special, now that he is no longer here. Do what your heart tells you to do. Ether way there will always be footbal, and hopefully hunting won't disapear anytime in my lifetime either.
STXBUX

He made a commitment, He should live to it!. Dad, when you signed him up you made a commitment too, To him!. This might change what you do next year but for this year anyway (imho)it should be football.

I would go with the football. Why? Because you only go through school once and you have the rest of your life to hunt. So in other words, he can do football right now and go hunting later with Dad and still have his first deer hunt. Even if it isn't until next year. But, why not just take a day or two off of work. Or allow him to take a day or two off from school (if he has good grades which I'm assuming he does since he's playing sports). If you go to work, its just another day and you'll forget it. But you'll remember the hunt for the rest of your life and more important he'll remember it the rest of his life. If there is no way possible to do both then I still say go play football. School years are also important memories. Let us know what you two decide and good luck either way. fatrooster.

I would have to say the Football Game comes first this time. He is part of a team and each person on the team depends on one another to pull their weight and not let the others down. That is a huge life lesson for him to learn. Do not shurk your responsabilities cause you want to go have fun. Play the game then haul a$$ to the hunt.
Next year get him involved in another sport that does not conflict with hunting.

"We MUST Hunt"

Let him make the choice after the team either makes or does not make the superbowl of their league. He has commited to a team, there will be other hunts.

Sounds like a matter of responsibility to me when we make a commitment we are obliged to follow through and we as parents should encourage the right thing. All our opinions might differ on that one so make the choice that feels right to yourself .

don't miss the game!! my dad was a huge deer hunter but never missed a wrestling match, i remember that the most-- there will be plenty of opportunities to go hunting with him again.. the football team is counting on him to be there for his games and your son is counting on the same from you...

STAY COMMITED TO THE TEAM,IF THEY MAKE TO THE BOWL GAME AND WIN OR LOSE HE WILL REGRET IT FOR NOT BEING THERE.
HAVE A PLAN-B FOR THE HUNT.

OLGROWTH
P.S.GOOD LUCK ON BOTH

It may depend upon how old your son is and how serious the football is. If we are talking 8 year olds, how serious is the game at that age? Will his team mates feel let down, or will they just play happily along without him?

I think the way for you to think about this is to think about what is best for your son. If he is young, I personally don't think having him miss the game is going to corrupt him for life and turn him into someone who blows off his committments. On the other hand, what good will come to your son going deer hunting with his dad for the first time? I hope you are healthy and live forever, but what if you get struck by a bus and killed next March and your son never gets to deer hunt with you? On the otherhand, if he is a sophmore in High School, maybe the the lesson about making and keeping committments is more important at that age. But base your decision on what is best for your son.

Let's say your son decides to play the football game, I don't see that it is critical that you attend the game. I'm assuming you probably attend all the other games, or a good share of them. In this circumstance wouldn't your son understand your missing the game? Particularly if we are not talking about the state championship football match. In general I think it is important to encourage and support your children in sports and other growth activities, but I don't think this necessitates 100% attendance at their games.

These are just my opinions. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.

WELL JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE SUPER BOWL IS ON OCT 31 WHICH IS THE THE SECONDAY (LAST DAY)OF THE PLANNED HUNT. SO THE ONLY THING I CAN DO IS HUNT OPENIING DAY AND TILL 8 00 THE SECOND DAY AND HAUL A** HOME TO GET HIM READY FOR THE GAME. IF THEY DONT MAKE TO THE SUPER BOWL THEN WE GET TO HUNT BOTH DAYS ALL DAY. SO WHAT EVER HAPPENS. HOPE TO BE POSTING TWO DEER AT THE BEGING OF NOVEMBER. GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom