What to get

HuntinFool

I'm looking for a rifle that I can hunt deer and elk with. What I am looking for is a gun that is somewhat light weight and that is very accurate for long range shooting also. I have looked into the mark v ultra lite, but I am not quite sure. What rifle and caliber would you guys recommend. I am not looking for a cheap rifle, but I am not looking to spend 2 grand on a gun either.

That mark V ultralight looks like a great gun. I am trying to talk my dad into getting one in 257 WBY.

For about half the money, i would look at the savage long range hunter. Its very ugly, but my experience with savage says it will shoot. The adjustable cheek piece helps alot to getting into a good, comfortable shooting position.

I would narrow caliber down to 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.

IMO the Mark V ultralight isn't what I would consider a Long range rifle. Light weight rifles tend to be harder to shoot at longer ranges. Also the barrel is pencil thin and they usually don't group all that well.

I would get a rem700 or win70 and drop it into a Mcmillan stock of your choice. Calibers I would stick with the 7mm and 30cal.

One way to go would be to keep your eye on sites like Gunbroker, looking for a good little used rifle of known excellent quality.

There are often listed 10-20 year old rifles that may only have a couple hundred rounds shot or less, of better quality than you can get now, still look great, and at a fraction of what their newer brothers might bring. Ask the sellers questions before you buy. It's a buyers market, take your time.

As far as what cartridge, being that you like to hunt Elk, i'd go with a minimum of a 7mm-08 up to a 300 Win Maq. For the longer shots you are talking about, maybe any of the 300 mags now available would be the best all around choice for you. Good luck!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks for the replies! I have been thinking about getting a 700 action and building up from there, but the only problem is that I am not experienced with building rifles, and I would have to have a gunsmith do the work for me. My concerns with that would be that it could get expensive quick and there is always the chance they could mess it up.

I understand and that's why i suggested that you might want to buy used. My 280AI is custom barreled on a trued 700 action, the Smith that i had do the work was very knowledgeable and i'd certainly not attempt to do it myself.

That said, if i was to sell that rifle, best i could hope for might be $1000., probably a good deal less. Some guys go the custom route, tire of it or stuff happens, and these customs go to sale. I have seen fantastic deals on custom or semi-custom rifles but you would want to at least talk to the seller or someone who knows of the guns history before you buy. You don't want something that is shot out, needing for a new barrel.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

browning abolt or xbolt in 270wsm. the 23" barrel makes it light and my shoots in a pie plate at 700 with the right ammo.

I just finished shooting my buddies Thompson Center Icon precision hunter in a 308. Amazing gun and accuracy. He has a Huskemaw scope mounted on it, this thing is a great shooter.

My cousin just bought a Rem 700 Tactical 308 and paired it with a Nikon Monarch 4x16x20. I also shot this rifle the other day. This thing is a tack driver. I'm actually going tomorrow to buy the same set-up. He has around $1300 in this combo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom