What would yall do?

Lhedrick1

Alright. Heading to Africa in May. I've got got 2 guns that are due for a new barrel; a pre 64 model 70 in 30-06 and a Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby.

I want a .338 to take to Africa. For the Winchester, I am thinking 338-06.

For the Weatherby, skies the limit. 338 Win mag is the obvious choice as its the easiest to get brass and ammo for. BUT this is maybe a once in a lifetime hunt.....should I go big with the 338 Lapua?

What would my fellow monster muleys do?

First, a few more questions need answered. Where are you going in Africa? That's kinda like saying "I'm going to North America". What are you hunting, are you flexible on your list, and what other animals are you likely to run into? Any dangerous game to be had, or likely to be offered?

Personally, I'd go with a 35 Whelen in the Winchester, if you want to play, and keep the Wby as a 300!

First, a few more questions need answered. Where are you going in Africa? That's kinda like saying "I'm going to North America". What are you hunting, are you flexible on your list, and what other animals are you likely to run into? Any dangerous game to be had, or likely to be offered?

Personally, I'd go with a 35 Whelen in the Winchester, if you want to play, and keep the Wby as a 300!

Dads alright got the 35 Whelan in the 700 Classic so.thata off the table.

No dangerous game. Likely wildebeest, waterbuck/gemsbok, Nyala etc. So elk sized game or slightly bigger would be the biggest encountered.

Brass might be a little hard to source.
Are you looking to rebarrel both rifles or just choosing one of them?

Both need barrels but I don't have the funds to rebuild both this winter. I'm 95% sure the pre 64 will be a 338-06. We have the 25, 6.5, 270, 30 and 35 Whelan so just missing the 338-06.

But the Weatherby deserves a little oomph and I think 338 is a good caliber. Not to mention a 338 mag would be a good choice for Africa.

I like the 338-06. I’m about to try the 160 grain Tipped TSX on mine. I think it will be good for this cartridge. I can’t comment on Africa because I’ve never been there but if I went, I would take a varmint rifle too. Some places you can shoot Baboons and other monkeys like it going out of style and if somebody offers you a Dik Dik, you won’t blow it to pieces with the larger caliber rifles.

I would keep the pre 64 as is and buy a plastic gun in whatever caliber you want.

We've got 2 pre 64s in 30-06 so no need to keep the 3rd.

I think I might have the Weatherby rechambered to .340 Weatherby but I'm a little scared of the recoil :ROFLMAO:

We've got 2 pre 64s in 30-06 so no need to keep the 3rd.

I think I might have the Weatherby rechambered to .340 Weatherby but I'm a little scared of the recoil :ROFLMAO:
Brake it.
It's a bit noisy but kicks like a kitten. I shot one for years.

I too vote for the 338/06 and the 340 Wby of course I live 33 cal rifles

Zeke

Brake it.
It's a bit noisy but kicks like a kitten. I shot one for years.

I too vote for the 338/06 and the 340 Wby of course I live 33 cal rifles

Zeke

Might not be a bad idea to brake it for shooting on the bench and then throw a thread protector on during the hunt. Not something I'm going to shoot alot. I had a break on my .300 Weatherby and even with ear plugs your ears would ring.

Might not be a bad idea to brake it for shooting on the bench and then throw a thread protector on during the hunt. Not something I'm going to shoot alot. I had a break on my .300 Weatherby and even with ear plugs your ears would ring.
You need better ear plugs!? I run some electric muffs and they work great.
Also Definitely use a ported brake. Radial brakes suck!

338-06 on the Win. Go 338-06 AI if you want a little more oomph.

.340 bee on the bee. With a gill brake and good ear plugs.

I’d go 338/06 all the way. I had a barrel made for my encore and it drives tacks. I’ve only shot it out to 300 but it’s my new go to. Im using 250 nosler partitions at one time they were on sale on their website but weren’t listed last time i looked so I’m hand loading once I’m out of that ammo

I am unpacking an estate and there are 3 barrels that appear to be .338-06 (one SS fluted and marked .338-06 and the other 2 blued fluted and appear new). Also found a large box of .340 Weatherby ammo and brass (Norma and Weatherby). PM if you want to discuss.

If it were me I would probably go 338-06 Ackley but I am a big Ackley fan. I also love the .338 win mag and have shot that cartridge since 1991. If Eland is a possibility I would stick with the .338 diameter. I took a .338 and my bow to Africa the first time I went. The .338 win mag worked great spotlighting baboons when the were nesting in their Boabab trees. It also did well on animals as small as Impala with no real damage.

If you get a chance to call predators at night do it. I took a .223 rem for a second gun and shot caracal, jackal, genet, bushpig, baboon and vervet monkey with it while night hunting, both spotlighting and calling. That was some of the most fun I've ever had. I would rather shoot Baboons than anything but then again I've never hunted elephant or Lion. ;)

An unpopular opinion I'm sure: take one rifle. I know a couple of guys who have taken two guns and they said it wasn't worth it. Especially if your not hunting dangerous game, take the 300 WBY and you'll be good. It'll take everything up to zebra and eland.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom