What would you bow hunters do ?

RoughCountry

I've been putting in for elk in several states for a long time and I'm at the point in a few of them where it's time to start thinking about getting serious about cashing in ..... I've hunted elk all my life but never in AZ and going in this year I will have 15 Nr points . I have all the elk hunting gear a guy needs including good horses if needed . I've heard a lot of talk about AZ units over the years and some years only put in for a point . What are your thoughts on units for Sept. early archery elk hunt with 15 points ? I live 250 miles from the AZ line on the eastern side so getting there is no big deal........
Early archery elk unit. DIY .....I've got my ideas but what are your thoughts ? PM me if you want to. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-18 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]Id try unit 1 with internet scouting ...being close, maybe scout with a cow tag 2019 and make my decision 2020? 15 years and once in a lifetime tag.

27 early archery was 100% draw with 15 points last year for a nonresident. If you put a early rifle tag as first choice you have ZERO chance to draw it. You won't make the bonus pass for early rifle but you will make the bonus pass for the early archery. Never even get a chance at the early rifle tag. That's based on last years draw and it could be slightly different this year depending on application numbers. Tough choice to go archery or resign yourself to possibly another 10 years for an early rifle tag.

Cow tag is out of the question. You?d burn your 15 points for the cow tag.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-18 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]Unit 1 has a whole lot of tags issued on the early archery hunt. You've got something like 300 tags for bull and add a cow hunt on top of that during the same time.

Living in the unit, I can also say that the quality of bulls is no where near it was even 3 years ago. The late hunts have done a lot to the age class of bulls. Things to factor, theres a lot of pressure in 1. You will compete with a lot of guides/outfitters for the biggest bulls in the unit.

The unit is gorgeous and holds quite a few elk and growing wolf population. Access into the escudilla wilderness is possible but a whole lot of dead fall.

27 is a huge unit and holds a lot of elk but is in similar shape as 1. With 460 late rifle tags, the quality of bulls is just not like it was a few years ago. Again, gorgeous country. Lots of big country but you can get away from folks a bit easier with horses in certain places.

Idk what the draw rate is in 23 but if I had that many points and could hold off until I drew that hunt, I'd be applying for early archery in 23. My 2 cents.

pretty much same boat here . 15 points no horses though. 27 not on my radar for that reason. Does anybody have a heads up on which unit there planning on Sept firearm in front of archery for 2019 ?

From the limited backpacking I did this summer in 27, I would seriously consider it (archery) if I had horses.

The last two P&Y Panels have had some tremendous bulls from there as well. Maybe not what it used to be, but still producing quality animals, IMO.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Finding a Horse Rental in AZ should be your next step.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Even with horses, getting a downed elk out of all that dead fall(affects of the wallow fire in 2011) will be a major pain in the arse. Easier for sure, but still very difficult. I grew up around horses and would think twice before injuring a horse. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom