What would you do with $600?

highcountryfever

So my wife decided to surprise me for my upcoming hunt by telling me that she was going to buy me a new rifle for christmas and give it to me early. So I have $600 to spend. What would you get? I don't know if I could find a decent rifle and scope package or just get a rifle and borrow a scope from my dad for this year. I am thinking somewhere along the lines of a 300 WSM.

Any thoughts?

I BOUGHT A TIKKA T3 IN THE .300WSM AND I LOVE THE GUN'S ACCURACY, ITS LIGHT & A PLEASURE TO CARRY ALL WEEK. TOPPED IT WITH A LEUPOLD (NEVER COULD SPELL IT) 3X9 & IT BEEN A WINNER........YD.

I shoot a Ruger 300 Win Mag with a Leupold VX2, 3-9. This is the best rifle set up that I have ever had. Accuracy is phenomenal with the right bullet set up.

>
> OH....I FORGOT TO
>SAY....THE TIKKA WAS $575 BUCKS......YD.
>

+1

I bought one of these in 270WSM... Hell of a gun for the money, nice and light and very accurate...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I bought a Tikka for my varmint rifle in 22-250.

A little heavier than the rest because of the bull barrel, but like everyone else is saying it is VERY accurate. Paid 550 for mine.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

I would head to my local Wal-Mart and buy the Weatherby Vanguard, with the tan with black webbing painted Bell & Carlson stock, in .300 Weatherby Magnum that is on sale for $350.00. I'd also probably buy the Nikon 3X9 scope in their display case for a bit over $200.00 and be out-the-door for just under $600.00. Buy some bases and rings and a box or two of ammo & you're ready to head to the range and get ready for your fall hunting season.

$350.00 for a Weatherby is a bargain, regardless of the model IMO. My store had .30-06, 7mm Weatherby Mags, & the .300 Weatherby Mags. The counter help said the sale was going on at all Wal-Marts for all in stock Weatherby rifles.

that tan and black webbing vangaurd might be a sub MOA thats sell for 800.00 mostly so thats a bargin!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Rack I believe your right. I have the sub MOA vanguard with that stock in 300 WSM and I love it. If it was me and I had a $600 budget I would buy the vanguard (not sub MOA) and take it to a good gun smith in your area and have the trigger done and possibly have it bedded. I would borrow a scope from your dad and save up for a good scope next year, that is an area where you don't want to be cheap.

If you reload this won't be a biggey, but if you shoot factory ammo,...check the price of 300WSM ammo and that of 270 or 30-06....then check ballistics......is it worth the extra in price? Just some food for thought you might consider.

I'd look for a nice used rifle in a standard caliber. Such as an old Sako. If you want a real magnum get a 300 Winchester.

Strayhorse,

Don't you just happen to have an older Sako in .300 Winchester Magnum that you are trying to sell? Make the guy a screaming deal!

Jim

Another Tikka fan here. I have one in 270 wsm that I'm really happy with. Bought the T3 Stainless light for around 500.00 with a 40.00 ffl fee, and got a nikon monarch 4-12 for under 300.00. tad over 600.00 total, but you could probably sell enough old hunting gear on ebay to make up the difference.

As for the gun, smoothest action I've ever owned, and most accurate out of the box I've had.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

WH

I would get a weatherby vanguard in 300 wby. Get a trigger job and a good scope and you have an awesome rifle!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]>Strayhorse,
>
> Don't you just happen
>to have an older Sako
>in .300 Winchester Magnum that
>you are trying to sell?
>Make the guy a screaming
>deal!
>
>Jim

Yes, but I'm having second thoughts.

>I would head to my local
>Wal-Mart and buy the Weatherby
>Vanguard, with the tan with
>black webbing painted Bell &
>Carlson stock, in .300 Weatherby
>Magnum that is on sale
>for $350.00. I'd also probably
>buy the Nikon 3X9 scope
>in their display case for
>a bit over $200.00 and
>be out-the-door for just under
>$600.00. Buy some bases and
>rings and a box or
>two of ammo & you're
>ready to head to the
>range and get ready for
>your fall hunting season.
>
>$350.00 for a Weatherby is a
>bargain, regardless of the model
>IMO. My store had .30-06,
>7mm Weatherby Mags, & the
>.300 Weatherby Mags. The counter
>help said the sale was
>going on at all Wal-Marts
>for all in stock Weatherby
>rifles.

I agree. Two guys I work with picked up 300 weatherbys at the Washington Walmart for $292.00. They said they are shooting SOBs.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did He make them out of meat?"
~Ted Nugent

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom