what would you do?

oldmossback

hey guys this is a 2 part question. I have 7 resident points for deer and elk in colorado. what units and season would you be looking at and trying for?
2nd. I have a 12 year old son who wants a decent chance at a bull or buck. any youth hunt ideas? we are on a pretty strict budget so buying a hunt is out of the question. let us know what you guys think. thanks

For buck try unit 86 in the sangre de cristo mt range I know of people who shot nice bucks in thier

Watson

Unit 86 may be a choice option for your son to hunt deer, but I would NEVER waste 7 preference points on this unit. At most, this units takes 1 point to draw a deer tag, and there are hundreds of 2nd & 3rd season over the counter bull elk hunters running around.

There are some very good ranching for wildlife properties that you could draw a quality buck tag and either sex elk tag with 7 points. Which I would look into. However, I would not attempt both RFW hunts in the same year.

With 7 points for deer you are also very close to being able to draw a quality 4th season deer tag in one some of the best units in the State.. 55, 54, 551, or 21 if you hold on a few more years. 7 points will also put you on Fort Carson, unit 591, which offers a 4 month long season.

A fourth season in 54 and 55 is going to set you back over 10 points, likely 12 or so as a nonresi. 21 could be had for 2nd season, but not 3rd. And, in reference to 86, I believe the previous post is referring to the early highcountry hunt in 86, which is combined with 2 other units. By many accounts, this can be a very good hunt highcountry hunt with the chance a big timberline buck. It take a bunch of points, I believe 8+. Nonresidents can't participate in ranching for wildlife hunts.

stryker, thanks , thats alot of info. so you think my son could get a tag for unit 86 his 1st year? are there many deer there? I was also looking at unit 21 2nd or 3rd season for myself. does colorado still have the points banking system and how does it work? like if I draw a unit that only takes 1 point how can i bank the other 6? I wonder if there is any decent leftover tags? that way i could just keep putting in for points and get a left over tag. Also do the ranching for wildlife places give any preferance to youth hunters?

Buy a point for yourself and just take your son on his hunt. That is what I've done for my kids when they turned 12. One drew an early season elk hunt in unit 21. The other drew 3rd season deer in unit 11/211. I did not have a permit, that way I could go at their pace and not push them at my pace. Each hunt was great, spending time just one on one out in the hills together. Doing it this way you will have 8 points for next year, you can do more research and maybe draw a really great permit.

Smokepole

Neither one scored their first time out but, that was not the primary reason for going. They had chances, things just didn't work out. It was just another opportunity to spend prime time one on one with my kids. When I was with them and they finally put their tag on their fist animal, that was as much or more exciting than when I've been successful. Or, when I helped my nephew get his first bull elk. Memories I know I didn't miss out on because I was right there with them. I still need to get my sons deer downloaded to the pc.

Latecia2.jpg

JaronBull2003.jpg

Smokepole

wow, smokepole, thats great, yes I know the feeling you are talking about I think I get more excited about things they do and acheive than they do. do you know anything about those youth outreach programs that the dow has ? my sone doesnt want to try for a cow or doe though.

Smokepole,

Congrats to you and your kids!

I will second smokepoles plan. I think when taking a kid out it is a much better idea to focus solely on their efforts. I did this in Wyoming antelope hunting with my daughter this year. It was nice to help her exclusively without the distraction of my own tag. I left my gun at home and the hunt was all about her! I am planning on putting her in for Wyoming deer or Colorado deer in 08 and again I will not apply with her.

Nicely done smokepole!

I also agree with both of you . but since I have points and my son has none ,I pretty much was thinking they would be seperate hunts anyway. Ive did my share of killing bucks so my sons would come 1st no matter what. do you guys know how it works for youth hunters in colorado, if a unit takes say 5 points to draw is it any easier for a youth to draw than an adult?

Yes your son would have a pretty decent chance of drawing a tag for this unit. Unfortunately, they do not offer any youth preference for buck tags, it is only 15% of the doe licenses for youth. I put my daughter, who is now 12, in for a buck tag in 86 this year, we hunt in 84/69 which is combined with 86, and she did not draw a tag, however there are several landowner vouchures available and I was able to purchase her one for a small fee.

Colorado does not have point banking any longer, this was only offered for one year.

There are usually alot of leftover doe tags, but very few buck tags for public land, unless you want to look at one of the CWD units to the North.

I will research some options for you to look at and send you a PM... I may be able to help you obtain a landowner vouchure as well, if he does not draw a tag.

The Ranching for Wildlife properties are only for residents, not sure if you are a resident or not, but I do not beleive they offer any preference for youth buck tags, only doe tags.

he would have a chance at drawing a buck tag for which unit stryker? yes we are residents. just curious what do you mean by small fee? we are on a kinda tight bugget, I am a single dad of 2 boys. I really appreciate all the help we get .thanks

Unit 86.. Units (69,84,86, 691 & 861) are all combined into one unit / hunt code and if your son draws a license it is good for anyone of these units.

Looking at last years odds, it looks like he would have about a 50% chance of drawing a 2nd season tag and about a 75% chance of drawing a 3rd season tag..

I will PM you about the landowner vouchure..

Son's deer from this year. At first he didn't want to go after a doe but, after a couple of years not getting a buck or bull, he decided to go after a doe. He was very excited to finally get one.

As far as your son goes, don't skip the doe hunt. It's a great way to start out a youth and a great opportunity to be successful. Discouragement early on can affect them for a long time.

IM002499.jpg

Smokepole

congradulations to your son! yea I know, I never try to discourage him , but I kinda saw a wierd look in his eye when he asked , dad, how many does or cows have you shot and I said, well..none yet only bucks and bulls. I probably shouldn't have said that??

I agree with smokepole on this one.. Do what you can to keep the kids interested in the sport, even if that means picking up a doe or cow tag..

Picture064.jpg

My son, nephew and I with my nephews first big game animal.

Picture110.jpg

My nephew with his first elk he shot last year in unit 84.. He shot this cow at over 300 yards.

The look says it all ~ this is what it is all about!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom