What would you do?

Sliverflipper

You finally draw that coveted tag after how many years. It's posted on the internet, letter of confirmation received, tag in hand and money taken by NDOW. Then they come back after over 3 weeks and say "we made a mistake and need the tag back. We gave out 1 too many so we need yours back". Do you give it back or what? What would you do?

Sliverflipper

If done by a simple letter, run it through the shredder and forget it and go hunting.....keep doing it till they send one REGISTERED.

Don't answer the phone either.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I like the idea "kilowatt" has. However it could jeopardize your future hunting priveleges in the state.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-11 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]Is it the PIW mountain goat tag? I was going to say you should probably give it back but after realizing its the PIW tag. I say screw it and go on vacataion until your hunt starts. Thats the type of tag you will never get again. Tell them you have already invested thousands of dollars on scouting, new zeiss scope, new gun, ammo, guides, trail cam, etc. I would try and make them at least pay for it.

That sucks, especially for a once in a lifetime tag. Sounds like to me you don't really have a choice. It probably wouldn't work but maybe you could negotiate a deer or elk tag out of it :0 Good luck!

Call them up and say, I drew a archery tag in &^%$ unit and was supposed to have put in for 231 late rifle or 194-196 late but I screwed up, can you give me my tag??? They f-up own up to it instead of making you pay for the mistake. Keep us posted

id fight it tooth and nail and even take it to court for emotioal distress ha i know if i would have had to give my OIL tag back id be so distraught. id say its there problem and they cannot do it. or tell them you want a guarantee for next year at the very least

Thanks for the support guys. If it happens to you, it goes like this; voice mail saying to call NDOW. Call thinking someone turned in a elk tag and I'm next on the list. Floored by them saying they want the tag back. In shock. Call back and say "did I hear you right?" They say "yeah just bring it by one of our offices." Even the wife calls BS on this and she doesn't care one way or the other. Turns to anger. Call the Director the next morning. Calls back and says he's been in meetings all day to try and resolve the issue. Says he's waiting to hear back from the DAG. I say "when you hear back let me know. 2 more weeks go by and lady from NDOW calls. Says "did you drop it off at a different office? Is it lost in the mail? I say "absolutely not. It's still in my possesion. Waiting to hear back from Ken Mayer". She says " he already called you". Not with the AG's response I tell her. Then she asks if she needs to send an envelope. I tell her "when I hear from the AG's office then we'll see". Then I get more pissed and email the Governor. Tell him what's going on and ask for his assistance. Still waiting to hear from everyone. Everyone who "finally after all these years" draws that tag, guess again. They've turned what should be a great time into a pain in the arse!

What would they tell you if you made a mistake and put in for the wrong tag? Are they going to reimburse you for all the gear you've bought, outfitter you've booked or the vacation time you took off work?? I would tell them that you will see them in court, although you may never draw another tag in Nevada after pissing them off. Good luck and hopefully they do the right thing and let you keep it.

BC

If you can I would leave the tag at home, then go down and shake their hands. Make sure they know your a real person and not just a computer glitch. Then if you still dont think your getting anywhere get an attorney involved. Funny how officials respond differently to letters from attorneys. But I always try the personal approach first. Now adays the personal effects is lost and everybody is just a number.
I would leave the tag at home just incase you have a weak moment.

Hope it all works out.

Wow!! Never heard of such a thing in my life. If it were me and Im a non-rezi I would go for the gusto and tell them to kiss my 3$%#.

I see now it's the PIW Goat tag. If they think one more goat being harvested is a big deal, they shouldn't be giving out any tags at all. Just my opinion.

I attempted to donate my PIW deer tag to a fellow hunter who is dying of cancer. Here is a quote from MR. MAYER HIMSELF,

"Unfortunately, state law does not allow for a transfer of a tag once it is issued. The only thing I can think of is a landowner tag. I will ask Bob Haughian to provide you with a list of landowners that receive compensation tags."

Therefore, tell him you would be breaking the law if you transferred the tag back to THEM!!!

DO NOT GIVE THAT TAG UP!!! PM me and I will provide proof of the exact email from him.

Okay, after contemplating what I was told in the above post I decided to email the director, Ken Mayer, myself. Here is the email and I hope it helps.

Mr. Mayer,

So I "hear" the department is asking for a PIW goat tag holder to return the tag due to an "error". I asked the department to consider letting me transfer my PIW deer tag to a dying cancer patient and received this reply from you personally:

"Unfortunately, state law does not allow for a transfer of a tag once it is issued. The only thing I can think of is a landowner tag. I will ask Bob Haughian to provide you with a list of landowners that receive compensation tags."

Therfore, would it not be breaking the law for this individual to conduct a "transfer of a tag" back to you now that it has been ISSUED??

You may want to reconsider this request before you cost the state a bunch of money they do not have in legal costs.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Anthony(Tony) Turner

I really hope they reconsider their poor decision making and make this right for you. Let us know how it plays out and post some hunt stories for us.

The "tone" of this letter is a bit harsh. I would consider revising it.

In my personal experiences dealing with government officials this type of approach will not go very far. My advice to you is to continue "negotiating" with them. Keep up the letter writing and insist on meeting with the NDOW oficials that have contacted you IN PERSON. I would refrain from email and only use signed, written correspondance sent via registered mail. You will want a paper trail of all your communications eventually. Have several others proof read all your letters prior to sending. Be direct, state only facts, and above all be professional. I also wouldnt jump up the chain of command so quickly. Stretch this thing out a bit. Write a letter and request a meeting...wait for written response (should you receive a phone call or email inform the individual contacting you that you would like a SIGNED, WRITTEN response and will only respond to such)...wait for 10 business days to again respond in writing. Meet with NDOW official. If no satisfactory resolution is reached, repeat the process with the next person up the food chain. This is a common practice in these types of situations. A long, frustrating battle will most likely take place and you should be prepared mentally for it. Be strong and confident! You are in the driver's seat here.

Of course, if you have access to professional legal advice by all means follow an attorney's prescribed course of action.

Best of luck! I have faith that you will prevail in this matter.

I doubt a lawyer would do anything but break you. I fought a case I and the lawyer were sure to win here in Oregon. The state agencies have DEEP pockets and will string you way out until your attorney bills are through the roof.

I say negotiate a different state wide tag or see if they can give you the same tag good for next year.

The Director can't do a thing, take it to the Commission.

Majority wins.

I bet it's you. Good Luck.

Alex

I still have the tag but I'm told it's no good. I called Mike McBeath Monday and talked to him about it. Unfortunately, by the time I can get on the agenda for the Commision meeting the hunt would be half over. That's if they'll even side with me. He was going to make some calls and get back to me but it doesn't look good. Looks like I'm getting screwed!

I'm sorry to hear that , and was really hoping you would have had good news to share . I have been watching this thread , and trying to put myself in your shoes .

When they say it no good as far as the tag , I wonder what they mean . They issued it , and you paid a fair price for it , so in my mind its a valid tag . I know its more complicated than that .

I hope your still fighting tooth and nail . I really hope this turns out in your favor .

If a refund has not been issued...then they can't say the tag is not valid.

The way I see it....they have entered and completed a contract. You entered a valid agreement with them when you entered the draw with you paying a chance to win a tag. You won and money was paid with you recieving a tag afterwards. Contract ended when you recieved the tag, period .

They made a mistake...they should eat the extra tag quota for doing so.

How did they decide it was your tag and not another one issued that was the mistake?I think that point is your best defense.

>How did they decide it was
>your tag and not another
>one issued that was the
>mistake?I think that point is
>your best defense.

They should have a record of whose name was drawn first.

So?

Is this the same outfit that takes care of Utah's Draw?

I just can't wait to eventually pull a Tag & have them take it back away from me!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

NDOW finally sent me the certified letter at the end of August stating the tag was invalid and by NRS they had the right to revoke the tag. If I used it I would be cited and would have poached the animal due to not having a proper tag and they would proceed accordingly. It needed to be returned asap so they could get the asset off the books and return my points and money. They couldn't understand what was taking so long as this had been conveyed over the phone. I had a couple lawyers lined up and a judge stating the case definately had merit. They wanted to file an injunction to halt the hunts until this was figured out. I figured they had already ruined my year and I didn't need to ruin everyone elses. It was a $5000.00 retainer and I had found a goat hunt in BC for $5800.00. If I want one that bad I can always travel. I already figure I'll never draw anything in Nevada again and probably have the GPS on my truck for them to follow whenever I'm out. It just sucks that the whole time they were saying they were trying to make it right, the only ones they were trying to make it right for was them. All they did was cover they're aces. I would suggest if it happens to anyone else, don't take NDOW's word on anything. Sue them from the first contact! This is the first year in over 20 that I haven't been bowhunting already and it SUCKS!!! Good Luck to everyone else. Sliverflipper

I would still go to the commision! They should at least hear what happened! That really sucks i would be mad as hell!

Believe it or not this isnt the first time they have pulled this garbage! Around 2004/2005 they did the same to my step sister but with a muzzleloader bull elk tag. Hope it doesnt happen to anyone again!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom