Whatcha think?

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Hey guy's, I have been working on a project for my BBQ counter top over the last few weeks and now that im nearly finished with the exception of cleanup and some sanding. I am trying to decide if I should stain it or not. This turned out better than I had expected and now I'm almost afraid if I go any further I may take away from it.

What do you guy?s think? Stain it and what color? Seal it as is? Or maybe run the stain up to 6 inches of the tile work in an oval and leave the elk in the cement as it is? Im looking for any suggestions. The counter is 14 feet by 4 feet. the tile work is 35 inches wide by 33 inches tall.

Thanks
GBA

Here is where I started. I cut out the pieces of tile and I don't have any kind of a scroll saw so I had to run the tile in and out a bazillion times until I could make the curves.

8105tiles_cut.jpg

9158tile_with_drawing.jpg

Then once I had everything cut out I attached it to a wire backing with hot glue to hold it in place and also help act as a rebar for the concrete.

6372tile_done.jpg

477elk_completed.jpg

Now cementing it into the counter top.

2853elk_cemented.jpg

1290elk_close_up.jpg

2786counter_top_view.jpg

I love it! Nice work.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

very cool,,,,,,,, will it match the rest of the patio if you seal it as is? looks really neat just maybe unfinished may or may not match the other stuff around it as well. when's dinner? :) show a finished pic when you get it done like you want please?

That looks great. I would seal it to keep it from staining. I do lots of woodwork and there is seldom that a good finish does anything but bring out the colors and make them look deeper. I am sure the same could be said with your countertop. I only think it will enhance it. Great job!

Have a good one. BB

Thanks for your input guy?s. Most of my friends and folks say to just seal it and leave it as it is. My wife on the other hand thinks I need to stain the counter. She is not of fan of the concrete look. A friend of mine did concrete counter tops in his house and after he sealed them they looked awesome to me. I had a hard time believing it was cement. I will take her there before any final decisions are made. Thanks for looking and your opinions which is what I was thinking too.

I will post up the end results when it is finished.

Thanks
GBA

I think you did a great job!
next time use a regular disk grinder with a $15 dry cut tile blade and it will be easier than going in and out with a regular tile saw- but you did do a great job!
either choice you make will look good, but i would maybe say stained then sealed. But if you don't stain it it will still be cool!

"Most of my friends and folks say to just seal it and leave it as it is. My wife on the other hand thinks I need to stain the counter"

You did an amazing job. I like the natural look. However, after reading your above quote, it looks like you will be staining it!!

Ha ha....LMAO you might be right woodruff.

However she is going out of town for a week starting Friday so if I may just finish it up by the weekend andit will be done when she gets home. :)

GBA

>>>>Thanks for your input guy?s. Most of my friends and folks say to just seal it and leave it as it is. My wife on the other hand thinks I need to stain the counter<<<

looking forward to seeing it stained in whatever color she thinks looks best :)

That is the coolest thing I have seen lately!

I might consider staining the countertop and fade the stain in a "cloud" around your artwork. Might make the little woman happy that way.

Be heavy on your sealer if you don't stain it or it will look like your driveway in a couple of years.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Nice work!!!

I think it would look great with some kind of border around the whole counter top.

Elk antlers - like single shed antlers end to end or maybe barbed wire?

The elk looks awesome!

So when't the party?

Outdoors, In my back yard that wolf would have a big hole in his head!!

Thanks for all the really nice compliment guy?s.

Nickman, I have been thinking about doing exactly what you mentioned the very same way. I am looking at different color stains. I found a cream color stain and a really light blue too. I can stain the rest of the counter a light brown depending on what the wife wants of course.I'm thinking maybe the light blue around the antlers and a portion of the face, then the cream color inside the elk neck and ear and around the bottom of his chest. The blue and cream color meet and make a oval around the elk to blend into the brown or whatever color for the counter. I will seal the crap out of it and there is a special cement wax that glosses the entire surface after the sealer has been put on. You can bet I will be testing the stuff out on my driveway or maybe somebody?s public sidewalk first though! ;-)

GBA

>Hey thanks Scott...I think. x(
>LOL
>
>GBA

It was a complement but I wont let my wife see it because it will just be one more reason I suck at making anything. lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom