What's a good unit

H

hookncook

I am wanting to start putting in for Archery elk tags in Arizona but do not know what would be the right units to put in for. Could someone please help. Any info is appreciated.

There are lots of good units. How many years are you willing to wait would be my first question to you?

I am willing for around 10 years or so. I figure by that time i can save up enough money for maybe a guide or something.

I assume you are NR. If only 10 years, then that throws out the top units of 9 and 10. There are big elk in most all units, with lots of potential. Send me a pm and we can discuss further.

I WOULD SAY IF YOUR NOT PICKY ON THE SIZE THEN PROBABLY THESE UNITS LISTED HERE HAVE GOOD BULLS 4A 5A 6A .IF YOU WANT YOUR TOAD THEN 7,8,9,10 HAVE PROVEN TO BE THE PLACE, NOT SAYING THE ABOVE DONT HAVE BIG BULLS.

Every unit in AZ offers a good archery hunt (not including the limited opportunity hunts) so it's kind of what your expectations are. I also think there are big vulls in every unit (atleast that I've been in), but there are a handful that are known for big bulls and are the toughest to draw (percentage wise). With that in mind, I would say that a couple good units to consider that are good but are not near immpossible odds would be 7e, 6a, 5's, 27.

I am after any decent bull (340-360). any bull with a bull in my opinion is a trophy but i do not want to wait forever for a raghorn unit or something like that

to answer you question not only no but HELL NO!!!!!!!! the otc tags are a joke your gona have 5,000 people chasing 30 elk. save your time and money if you are looking at a 340 to 360 bull then apply for 6a lots of elk and you can find a 340 plus fairly easy there.

hunter1, thank you so much for your help. i will look at 6a. 360 is plenty big for me. How many years are we looking?

IT ALL DEPENDS ON BONUS POINTS AND LUCK. IVE KNOWN GUYS TO DRAW BACK TO BACK BULL TAGS AND I KNOW GUYS STILL WAITING OVER TEN YEARS.

I like unit 4a I may be wrong but there was a 400"er taken out of there this last archery season. My brother shot a 370"+ & a 350" outta there.If any body wants to know the exact location where he hunts just let me know I'm sure he won't mind me telling everybody his secret spots.

>I am after any decent bull
>(340-360). any bull with
>a bull in my opinion
>is a trophy but i
>do not want to wait
>forever for a raghorn unit
>or something like that

Do you realize the size of a 340-360 bull? Thats like saying I wanna shoot a decent 190 buck or a decent 175 desert ram.C'mon dude a 340-360 bull is a big bull, who you trying to kid around here? One thing you have to consider IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE DROUGHT.

if he shot a 370 and a 350 then they are not all that uncommon. I am saying that is what i would like, not what i am going after. I would like that caliber of bulls in the unit

If you decide to apply for unit 4a be prepared to hold out on seeing alot of bulls. You're gonna see A huge amount of 300 to 320 bulls but if you're patience will allow to wait the chance at a 340+ is realistic.Most guy's cant wait it out and end up shooting 300 to 320 bulls because there's so dang many.It's nothing to call 30 bulls in a day there.

"IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE DROUGHT."

Not sure that is a valid statement. Look at the lack of rainfall this past year and look at how many bulls were killed close to and over 400".

You will find the caliber bull you are looking for in ANY unit in AZ. Just stay away from the top 5 units that are all hyped up, and you'll get your chance.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Sremim your right I was way off base about the drought if we had some rain this year those 400" bulls would have been 450"
380 bulls woulda been 400, 350 bulls woulda been 380
320 bulls woulda been 350
280 bulls woulda been 320
even the cows would prolly grow some horns......LOL......

The whole point here is there are no RAG HEAD units AZ So what ever your choice is, a DECENT 340 to 370 is possible .

This past year there was whole of people in the right place at the right time.Because there were HUGE ASS bulls killed in units most NR never even heard of.Rain or no Rain AZ is still the best, it don't matter what unit you apply for.That's all I have to say for now & thank you for your time.

>if he shot a 370 and
>a 350 then they are
>not all that uncommon. I
>am saying that is what
>i would like, not what
>i am going after.
>I would like that caliber
>of bulls in the unit
>

More uncomman than you think.Don't tease yourself Even the best units don't have a steady supply of DECENT 340-370 bulls.

10 years is not long enough to get a good tag. I have 6 points this year, and there are TONS of NR behind me, I am no where close to being within 10 years of a good bow elk tag. More like 20 years. A medicore bow elk tag is going to take at least 15 years to get a reasonable chance at drawing. If memory serves me 2 years ago there were 9 new NR apps for each new NR tag, mulitply that over years of guys ahead of you. Most good tags go to max pnt holders for NR FYI.

Don,
It seems as though you have never been elk hunting in AZ. There is no such thing as a mediocre elk unit. There are numerous units that can be drawn on a regular basis by NR without a lot of points. And those units have bulls that are just as big as the hyped up magazine units. How do you figure 15 years for these "mediocre" bull tags? I know a guy (NR) who gets a "mediocre" tag every couple years, has shot numerous elk, with the smallest being 363". Any elk tag is a good elk tag in AZ. If you don't agree, then yes, you will be waiting many, many years only to be disappointed with what you get.

It's Bush's fault!!!

sremim,you hit the nail on the head.Why would one unit produce huge bulls and the neighboring units are crap or mediocre. Sounds like a lot of people are only tellin people what they want to hear.I'd rather hunt every six yrs and still have the opp at a "DECENT" 350 bull.Rather than wait 15 yrs and still only take a"DECENT" 350 bull.

Exactly mesquitehunter. Most people think that the only units that produce the big bulls are the ones they read about in magazines. Then they think every other bull in the unit is 400". I bet most of the NR who finally do draw 9 or 10 don't end up seeing a bull over 360. But oh well, whatever floats their boat.

It's Bush's fault!!!

I like 4a becuase I know the unit so well.The other units offer outstanding hunts as well.I'm not gonna sit here and say 4a is the best because thats my opinion.Somebody else may like another unit and think it's the best as well.It boils down to which unit a person is the most familier with.

I hunted archery bull elk in 4-a in sept. I saw bull elk every day in the 300 - 350 range .

I feel that I am in the same boat as you are in hunting Arizona the only units that I am familiar with are the tough ones to draw. Do you know much about the application process for NR? From what I read in the proclamation it sounds like the $151.oo "G" hunting license is a steep price to pay. Is that refunded if you're unsuccessful? If its not I can't seem putting in for 10-15 years. Do the math and $1500-$2300 on hopes to draw.

you don't get that back. I guess you get a fishing and small game license for the year though. Not like I live anywhere near there to use it though

Well I am in it 12 years now, to late to quit. I have been on 3a/3c, had friend on 1 heard alot about 8,9,10 so I am real confused on what unit to put in for. I would love to put in for 23 north archery, but with one Nonresident archery tag it is not a reality. Any other good units for archery?

What do you guys think not being able to use a credit card will do to the odds?

The no CC will not affect odds. Look at any unit in the state except the limited opportunity hunts. You can find big bulls in any unit, not just the popular ones. Do a little research and you will probably draw a tag this year.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Sremim,

If you had 12 points and well over a $1000 dollars into the hunt allready What hunt would you put in for? Pm or email if you would like. I you are applying for Utah I would be glad to help out where possible.

unit 23 north? I would not hunt that tag if it was FREE! That hunt is not the norm. You hunt in Nov. NO RUT. Try some units you don't hear about, like 4A,4B, 3B and 5A. All of these units are GOOD. Better than average draws and a chance at a very good bull.
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

If you have 12 points you should have NO problem drawing a tag soon. Maddglasser is right, any of the units Madd mentioned, the only way you are going to be dissapointed, is you ran out of arrows. Don't believe "Huntin Fool' about everything, Garth can only hunt a few places, his odds are the same as yours. Stay away from urban legends.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-08 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]This year they are having an early archery hunt on 23 north for the first time. Sept 12-25. 15 total tags=1 nonresident

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-08
>AT 03:37?PM (MST)

>
>This year they are having an
>early archery hunt on
>23 north for the first
>time. Sept 12-25. 15
>total tags=1 nonresident

Its true... September bow hunt for this unit. Lots of good units. Agree with everyone, you can stay away from the 'great units' and still kill a great bull

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom