What's the Biggest NM Turkey You've Taken?

muley505

Since we're winding down NM's turkey season, I was curious what the largest Merriam's (in terms of beard and spurs) has been for some of you who have hunted them longer than I have? I hope to get a full-strut mount done eventually on a nice NM Merriam's, and I was curious what a large one looks like in NM. My first one from this year had an 8.5" beard, and about half-inch spurs, and I was curious what I should be holding out for size wise before I drop the money on a full-strut mount? Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON May-02-16 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]I've gotten a couple birds with beards in the 11-12 inch range and 1 - 1 1/4 inch spurs. I've noticed that if you get a gobbler in pretty rocky terrain, spurs tend to get rounded off.

Congrats on getting your first bird this year! I'm still trying.

Travis

Good to know, Travis. Thanks. It's nice to know NM has turkeys with that much beard and spur length. If I'm going to drop close to the equivalent price of an elk mount on a turkey, I'd like it to be a nice one.

Sorry, that post made it seem like my bird this year was my first turkey ever. It was my first of (hopefully) :) two for this year, and my biggest turkey so far.

It's been a rough year in the areas I hunt. I'm not sure if the increase in snowfall killed off more birds this year, or if they're just down lower, but I've seen a lot less sign than in years past. Anyone else notice lower amounts of sign/turkeys this year?

Of all the birds i have harvested i have yet to kill one with spurs bigger than 1/2" they always have been rounded off and worn down im guessing from the rocky terrain...longest beard has been 10 3/4"...on average though 8-9"

Havent hunted turkeys in a long time... but won the big bird contest 2 times in Taos. My big birds were 11" and 1" and 10.5" and 1.25" both were around 21 to 22 lbs. That is about as big as they get in northern NM. Just mess with them anymore and let them live. Still fun to get them going but I let them go.

Jack

Not a big bird story, but this year I unintentionally killed two with one shot. Yes, the second one was also a tom, and was about 20 yards directly behind the first. First one was at five yards. About time I had some good fortune while hunting these crazy birds. I think both beards added together would have made 10 inches, and all four spurs put together would have exceeded an inch. Does that count? :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom