What's the Story in 128 This Year??

Blank

Long Time Member
Being in AZ for the winter, this is the first time in 3 decades that I didn't get to spend time there myself. Helped a couple folks over the phone, but got lots of differing stories and mixed emotions. Any input from locals how #s, conditions, feed quality, and hunter pressure actually affected the hunting. Didn't hear a thing about elk or sheep either

Same here blank, not 3 decades but many years up there.

Bow hunting elk in September, checking out the Rams, to 2nd choice late date kill Whitey buck!

My gal that owned the Airbnb I always stayed at sold and move south for good.

The new owners aren't running it as an Airbnb.

No more for me.

Robb

I am not sure how 128 has been in the past but I finally drew it with max points. My wife and I went up a few weeks before the hunt to familiarize ourselves with the unit. to make a long story short we hunted the first 5 days and I know we seen over 1000 deer and 300 + bucks that was everything from private to public, we had a absolute blast and met some awesome people I would recommend this hunt to anyone. the deer were healthy alot of fawns out of the 300+ bucks we seen 2 to 3 what I consider mature bucks every day and every day they were getting bigger it was hard for a guy like myself to stay off the trigger and when we left on the 5th I was wondering if I had screwed up, the next 3 days at work were very long we drove back the night of the 8th with much anticipation my biggest concern was when do you know it's the right deer well that question was answered first light Thursday morning first light I seen a buck that changed things from looking to getting serious we were planning on staying till the 20th because everyone that I talked to said it gets better be patient but like I said when I glassed this buck he had a little of everything and it was over. I want to thank all the people that responded to my questions and thank my wife for sticking by my side through the whole hunt from start to end we had the greatest hunt we have ever experienced.

20231109_103045.jpg

20231109_124803.jpg

20231109_070231.jpg

I am not sure how 128 has been in the past but I finally drew it with max points. My wife and I went up a few weeks before the hunt to familiarize ourselves with the unit. to make a long story short we hunted the first 5 days and I know we seen over 1000 deer and 300 + bucks that was everything from private to public, we had a absolute blast and met some awesome people I would recommend this hunt to anyone. the deer were healthy alot of fawns out of the 300+ bucks we seen 2 to 3 what I consider mature bucks every day and every day they were getting bigger it was hard for a guy like myself to stay off the trigger and when we left on the 5th I was wondering if I had screwed up, the next 3 days at work were very long we drove back the night of the 8th with much anticipation my biggest concern was when do you know it's the right deer well that question was answered first light Thursday morning first light I seen a buck that changed things from looking to getting serious we were planning on staying till the 20th because everyone that I talked to said it gets better be patient but like I said when I glassed this buck he had a little of everything and it was over. I want to thank all the people that responded to my questions and thank my wife for sticking by my side through the whole hunt from start to end we had the greatest hunt we have ever experienced.

View attachment 127370

View attachment 127371

View attachment 127372
Thanks for sharing! That’s a beautiful buck!

I'm glad Tiny came on and gave a report of his hunt. I had been talking to Tiny for weeks prior to the hunt and then as the hunt started he gave me a daily update on how things were going. We even met with Tiny on his way back home so we could see his buck and after that we were pumped! We had two tags ourselves and we planned on arriving on the evening of Nov 10th and hunting to the end (or close to it).

When we arrived to the unit just a couple of hours after talking with Tiny we turned off the highway and drove north up East Fork to a cabin we rented in East Fork right at the bridge. From the highway to the cabin we saw a handful of bucks and felt like we timed our arrival perfectly. We woke up the next morning (Saturday 11/11) and jumped in our SxS and ran up East Fork toward the national forest to get acquainted with the terrain, roads, etc. In that 9 miles up to the national forest we probably saw a dozen trucks and SxS out hunting and a pretty large outfitter camp loaded with horses, trucks, and SxS. All of that traffic threw us for a loop as we weren't expecting so many people. In that drive at first light we saw deer, but nearly as many as we were expecting. We decided to head back to the cabin for the truck and drove to check out some of the OnX spots others have graciously provided of where they killed great bucks or saw them. This took us over to Horse Creek and there too were cars and SxS all over the place. We had one key spot in that area that was provided to us by other hunters and it had a few decent bucks but nothing big. We checked this spot out 5 other times during our hunt and saw bucks each time but nothing big. This spot was interesting because getting in there was not easy and IMO it kept everyone else out.

Each time we drove up and down East Fork at sunrise, sunset, or before/after dark we weren't seeing very many deer. The deer Tiny was seeing in the fields I think either moved further east onto the reservation or headed back up in elevation. Because there weren't many deer in the fields we decided to focus on the higher elevations in the national forest as our drives through that higher elevation areas showed us that there were a lot of deer still up high. We even spent a couple days and a lot of hours glassing the middle areas between the fields and the national forest around Table Mtn and Spring Mtn and we never saw a deer in these areas. The other odd thing is that in all the times we drove the loop up Bear Creek to the upper campground and then back down...we never saw a deer in the fields. I was texting Blank and BIGOMULEY pretty regularly with updates on how things were going and they offered up plenty of ideas and spots. We checked out many of them, but there's a lot of country to look over and we couldn't check it all.

On the evening of day two of our hunt (11/12) I spotted a decent 4 point that was with a group of does, but he wasn't what I was wanting to shoot that early in the hunt with so many days left. When I told my buddy I was going to pass on him, my buddy didn't even blink and said he'd take him. We did a quick stalk and he shot the buck at 110 yards. He's 26 inches wide and has great front and rear forks. We haven't scored him yet, but my buddy is super happy with him. It's his biggest buck to date.

The following days we kept at it checking a few new spots, but we eventually kept going back up to the higher elevations in the national forest to hunt as we felt like that's where our best chances for a decent buck was. The lack of snow and warm temps allowed us to hunt up to 9500 feet elevation. The area my buddy shot his buck had a bunch of different groups of does each with a smaller buck or two and we were hoping a big buck would show up and kick the smaller bucks out. Even though the rut was going pretty strong, we kept seeing the smaller bucks each time and no new bucks showed up. I attribute this to the fact that even at 9,000 feet elevation it was warming up into the mid 40s each day and even though the rut was going, the bucks weren't moving around to check the groups of does. Maybe the rut wasn't 100% and could have been stronger with colder weather, but it was my first time in this unit and wasn't sure.

We kept hunting and on day 4 I passed on a 25 inch wide buck with decent rear forks but crabby front forks, but I still felt we'd find something bigger. In the end we hunted until the morning of the 19th and never saw a buck bigger than my buddy's buck and I ended up eating my tag.

Overall it was a fun hunt and I'd have loved to see the cold and snow to bring the bucks down into the lower elevations for our hunt, but we couldn't control the weather. Most of the does we saw had a fawn and most had two, and they all looked to be in great shape. Next year should be another good year for the unit. Thanks to Tiny, Blank, BIGOLMULEY, RoadlessHunter, LIK2HNT, and all the others that helped and provided info.

2023-11-12 17.08.19.jpg

2023-11-12 17.08.58.jpg

2023-11-12 17.07.10.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats to both hunters. Tiny that is a slug of a buck and awesome that your wife was there for the hunt and memories. I'll never draw that hunt, but wife has max points so hopefully one day I'll be able to hunt that unit as the camp bi*** and guide. What a awesome unit. Love the posts each year on this unit.

Thank to both for sharing.

Thanks for the great report. I enjoyed all our chats, and wish I could have helped more.

I started going over in mid 80's, I think 85 or 86. Big family and low finances prevented me from hunting it until early 90's. Have been lucky enough to hunt Mulies 3 times, and WT's about 8-10 times since then. I think it is the most fun I have, unless you count the Paunsaugunt.

Great bucks and hunt!

My guess is the disappearance and shyness of mature bucks later in the season when the rut should have been strong wasn't as much due to the weather but pressure from guides and other guys helping out running up and down roads.

I've been on a few limited quota Wyo deer hunts and it's pretty sad to wait so many years for tags and have so many others without tags in trucks with radios running around. I guess that is a sign of the times? There may not be a whole lot that can be done to prevent this? Possibly shutting off road access in some areas? I would possibly keep that in mind when drawing high demand Wyo tags. You may not be alone.....and hunt hard!

Great bucks and hunt!

My guess is the disappearance and shyness of mature bucks later in the season when the rut should have been strong wasn't as much due to the weather but pressure from guides and other guys helping out running up and down roads.

I've been on a few limited quota Wyo deer hunts and it's pretty sad to wait so many years for tags and have so many others without tags in trucks with radios running around. I guess that is a sign of the times? There may not be a whole lot that can be done to prevent this? Possibly shutting off road access in some areas? I would possibly keep that in mind when drawing high demand Wyo tags. You may not be alone.....and hunt hard!
I can’t think of a single LQ deer area in Wyoming where good road access isn’t a part of the allure.

Do you know why the deer are doing good in this area? One of the most limited areas in the state. During general season the mtns around that area are too forested for effective deer hunting

View attachment 127370

View attachment 127371

View attachment 127372
Great looking bucks!

I'm glad Tiny came on and gave a report of his hunt. I had been talking to Tiny for weeks prior to the hunt and then as the hunt started he gave me a daily update on how things were going. We even met with Tiny on his way back home so we could see his buck and after that we were pumped! We had two tags ourselves and we planned on arriving on the evening of Nov 10th and hunting to the end (or close to it).

When we arrived to the unit just a couple of hours after talking with Tiny we turned off the highway and drove north up East Fork to a cabin we rented in East Fork right at the bridge. From the highway to the cabin we saw a handful of bucks and felt like we timed our arrival perfectly. We woke up the next morning (Saturday 11/11) and jumped in our SxS and ran up East Fork toward the national forest to get acquainted with the terrain, roads, etc. In that 9 miles up to the national forest we probably saw a dozen trucks and SxS out hunting and a pretty large outfitter camp loaded with horses, trucks, and SxS. All of that traffic threw us for a loop as we weren't expecting so many people. In that drive at first light we saw deer, but nearly as many as we were expecting. We decided to head back to the cabin for the truck and drove to check out some of the OnX spots others have graciously provided of where they killed great bucks or saw them. This took us over to Horse Creek and there too were cars and SxS all over the place. We had one key spot in that area that was provided to us by other hunters and it had a few decent bucks but nothing big. We checked this spot out 5 other times during our hunt and saw bucks each time but nothing big. This spot was interesting because getting in there was not easy and IMO it kept everyone else out.

Each time we drove up and down East Fork at sunrise, sunset, or before/after dark we weren't seeing very many deer. The deer Tiny was seeing in the fields I think either moved further east onto the reservation or headed back up in elevation. Because there weren't many deer in the fields we decided to focus on the higher elevations in the national forest as our drives through that higher elevation areas showed us that there were a lot of deer still up high. We even spent a couple days and a lot of hours glassing the middle areas between the fields and the national forest around Table Mtn and Spring Mtn and we never saw a deer in these areas. The other odd thing is that in all the times we drove the loop up Bear Creek to the upper campground and then back down...we never saw a deer in the fields. I was texting Blank and BIGOMULEY pretty regularly with updates on how things were going and they offered up plenty of ideas and spots. We checked out many of them, but there's a lot of country to look over and we couldn't check it all.

On the evening of day two of our hunt (11/12) I spotted a decent 4 point that was with a group of does, but he wasn't what I was wanting to shoot that early in the hunt with so many days left. When I told my buddy I was going to pass on him, my buddy didn't even blink and said he'd take him. We did a quick stalk and he shot the buck at 110 yards. He's 26 inches wide and has great front and rear forks. We haven't scored him yet, but my buddy is super happy with him. It's his biggest buck to date.

The following days we kept at it checking a few new spots, but we eventually kept going back up to the higher elevations in the national forest to hunt as we felt like that's where our best chances for a decent buck was. The lack of snow and warm temps allowed us to hunt up to 9500 feet elevation. The area my buddy shot his buck had a bunch of different groups of does each with a smaller buck or two and we were hoping a big buck would show up and kick the smaller bucks out. Even though the rut was going pretty strong, we kept seeing the smaller bucks each time and no new bucks showed up. I attribute this to the fact that even at 9,000 feet elevation it was warming up into the mid 40s each day and even though the rut was going, the bucks weren't moving around to check the groups of does. Maybe the rut wasn't 100% and could have been stronger with colder weather, but it was my first time in this unit and wasn't sure.

We kept hunting and on day 4 I passed on a 25 inch wide buck with decent rear forks but crabby front forks, but I still felt we'd find something bigger. In the end we hunted until the morning of the 19th and never saw a buck bigger than my buddy's buck and I ended up eating my tag.

Overall it was a fun hunt and I'd have loved to see the cold and snow to bring the bucks down into the lower elevations for our hunt, but we couldn't control the weather. Most of the does we saw had a fawn and most had two, and they all looked to be in great shape. Next year should be another good year for the unit. Thanks to Tiny, Blank, BIGOLMULEY, RoadlessHunter, LIK2HNT, and all the others that helped and provided info.

View attachment 127401

View attachment 127402

View attachment 127404
Beautiful buck, congrats!

View attachment 127370

View attachment 127371

View attachment 127372
Very nice deer, Congrats!

View attachment 127401

View attachment 127402

View attachment 127404
Great buck, Congrats!

I took this buck in the late 90's in 128. grossed 202. hunted it again when my wife drew it in 2011, the quality and quantity had dropped dramatically by then.

it seems to be coming back and that's great, I have max points and I'll be applying until I draw or die.

IMG_1355.JPG

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom