Whats up with WA?

MuleySniper

Why is it that Washington seems to be the last to post draw results? Sure makes it tough when trying to plan out of state hunts. Is there a reason it takes so long? I originally thought it was due to people not turning in their harvest reports on time, but I'm not totally sure. Now their making it so you cannot apply for special draws if you dont turn in your report on time. They should add a fine to that as well and put it toward wildlife conservation. That would push people into reporting sooner so the wdfg can get quotas faster. Maybe that would allow for an earlier draw result posting for the following year.

You arent kidding. I cant think of a good reason it would take someone more than a month to report there harvest data. We are just slow around here i guess.

The moto for the WDFW, DNR and most other WA State agencies is "go slow for more dough" and "why do today, what you can drag out until next month or the month later". It is just typiical of how our state is run. With these new aged things called computers, you would think that they could get that info done and ready in a more timely manner. You have to love our WDFW! They have to few field officers in enforcement that cant get enough work done and plenty of paper pushers that wont get it done. There should be a fine for not reporting your hunting activity within 7 days of the end of your particular season. How hard is it to pick up the phone or go on-line to report your activities?
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

I do give them credit for trying though. They actually called my home to get the crab harvest info. two months in advance to help plan the next season. I wasn't totally happy about the call at dinner, but it's impressive they make the effort. Saying that, no reason we all can't get our reports in on time, I usually call the last day I hunt.....

This topic comes up every year! this is the earliest I have seen it come up...usually gets people's dander up around june-july...I agree with all of you it's the $#it$ !!! It seems quite a few people complained about that on one of the surveys recently so maybe it will ring home...but probably not...until then we wait!

What are you guys gripping about? In Idaho we won't get our draw results until mid july. Makes it really tough to get out and do your scouting because I hate to spend all that gas money scouting in a unit that I may not even get to hunt. The motto here seems to be "let's see how inconvienent we can make it on the hunting public."

I'm not gripping anything right now, LOL.. Right though, I know it's similar in Montana, where we are going next year too. I know post winter mortality factors in some to the tags and such, but if they can release the regs. in March, they should be able to draw hunts and post results at that time too..

there is a $10.00 fine this year for being late on your hunting reports and if you filed your report by jan 10, you got entered into a deer/elk statewide raffle ticket as some incentive to report early.
it takes all of 5 minutes to file on-line, i can't figure out what the big holdup is for people either.

I've brought it up at the public meetings and in the comments in the scooping. I doubt anything will be done, they seem to think the timing is ok(I disagree strongly) but I'm not optimistic for any changes. In credit to them they have gotten a little quicker the last few years, finding out around July 20th is alot better than August 5th or 6th. Hopefully they'll get even quicker this year.

Actually many people don't want it any earlier because they're not even thinking about hunting season yet. I think the later deadline allows more people to get in the drawing, and this is good for the state as it brings in more money. I wouldn't mind if they did it a month or two earlier, but I also feel it's fine the way it is.

I actually called last year to complain. A fellow did call me back and we talked for quite a while. the best explaination he could give was that they wanted to get all the data to give us the best seasons possible so they needed Jan/March to get it done. Then put out the regs and permit quotas.Even with that I dont see why we cant get draw results by Mid June??? He did not have a good answer for that. It sure makes it tough to plan something in another state when you are sitting on good points here....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom