When to Tumble

SWB

Questions for reloaders. I want to get a tumbler soon. What is the normal routine? Do I resize and remove the primers, and then put the brass in the tumbler? Or should I tumble first then resize and remove primers? What kind of attention and or cleaning should I give to the primer pockets?
Thanks for your help.
SWB

I resize and deprime first. It helps clean the primer pockets a bit. If you do it this way just check your flash holes before you reprime because there will occasionally be a piece of media stuck in there. Just pop it out with a toothpick or something similar.

RCBS makes a primer pocket cleaning tool which works good. You can also get a primer pocket reamer but be careful with that because you can easily make your pocket to large and new primers will be loose and can fall out. If you don't clean the carbon out of the pocket it will eventually build up and make seating primers hard and they may not seat flush with the case head.

I do the same. I also add polish to the media and the brass comes out nice and shiny. You still have to touch up spots around the neck and get the media out of the primer pocket.

I have thought tumble first to clean the brass before resizing? Then tumble again after sizing.
Extra step, but perhaps keep your die set cleaner.

I like to use my Lee decapping punch to remove the primers.
Then do the tumbling/cleaning. This saves wear on my full length dies. It also allows the primer pocket to be cleaned. As stated previously you need to check the flash hole for media. I suggest using a stiff brush (available from several manufacturers) to get the stubborn crud out of the primer pocket. Reaming is "usually" reserved for crimped primer pockets from military brass. I have never had to ream a commercial case. The tight fit of the primer aids in water proofing the round.
You can also adjust your full length die to decap only.
Then tumble. Of course you have to re-adjust your die back for sizing. Which is why I use the Lee punch with a rawhide mallet or nylon faced hammer.

I Love reloading!!
Later
Foghorn

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-12 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]Tumble fired brass & wash w/ denatured alchol.
Decap & resize, chamfer, clean primer pocket, trim if needed.
Wash in denatured alcohol again.
Let dry & prime.

What polish do you guys use?

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-12 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]>What polish do you guys use?
>
>
>
>

This one... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124198878/frankford-arsenal-brass-case-polish

I'm sure they all work about the same.. I have used Lyman with good results as well...

Don't use too much, it makes the media (corn) clump together and can be hell getting it out of bottleneck cases and primer pockets..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I decap with an universal decapper. Then I soak the brass in apple cider vinegar for several hours. Rinse with fresh water and you can use a q-tip to remove the remaining residue in the primer pocket. Let the case air dry overnight and then you can lube and resize. Wipe off the case lube and then tumble. Apple cider removes most of the powder residue from inside the case as well as exterior and primer pocket.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom