Where should I live?

Shummy

Very Active Member
I got a job offer in Montana and I took it, so I would like to hear from all you locals. I can live anywhere in the state, it won't really matter, It will have to be somewhat close to a hospital so my wife can work a few days a week. I'm also somewhat of a bird dog fanatic so I need to be somewhere that I can run my dogs. Given those few particulars where would you live if you were in my shoes?

Helena. Elk, Mule deer, Whitetails, Upland game birds, pheasants, ducks/geese and 6 blue ribbon trout streams all within an hour, and most within 1/2 hour. Its all right here. St. Peters Hospital in town. Fairly centralized. Helena is a great place. PM me if you want more info.
Soupcreek

Yeah I second Helena, its a pretty nice town to call home. Not to mention the great hunting and fishing that surounds this place!

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

Well, I fly into Helena on the 5th of July. I'll only be there for a couple of days to pick up a truck and welder and do a bit of training. Were is a good place for dinner while I'm there?

Jade Garden or Mediterranean Grill. There is also Chili's, IHOP, Applebees, etc. if you prefer something a little more well known. Jade Garden is the best though.
Soup

Helena or Kalispell would be my choices.. Great towns with amenities and services at your doorstep..
The places that I wouldnt take no matter the amount of pay would be Cut Bank, Shelby and Conrad (the least worst of the three).. I know because I did a one year sentence up there in those dumps. I was never so ready to leave a place.

Once bird season ended, Hell had officially froze over..

------------------
DRSS

You're pretty vague about what you want in a home.
Do you like being around people?
Hate being around people?
Want to live in the flat? Mountains? The front?
I'd advise you take a couple week roadtrip if at all possible, and pick out what's best for you.
I really like every corner of Montana I've seen, but there's a huge difference between a town like Missoula and a town like Wolf Point.

I really don't have to choose anything right away, I have plenty of time. My job entails a lot of travel, so I will see it all. I don't like big towns or lots of people. I like mountains but, like I said, upland hunting is a huge part of my life. Training dogs, and running my kennel will be earning part of my living eventually.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-10 AT 07:50PM (MST)[p]Helena

Within a few minutes of your front door-The missouri river, 5 lakes, numerous streams, and 360 degrees of mountains full of elk, deer, bears, and bird hunting.

Within around 2 hours-numerous famous rivers, Missoula, Great Falls, Bozeman, Butte, Enis, Freezeout lake, Bob Marshall, Seeley Lake, White Sulphur Springs, Wisdom and all the deer, elk, antelope,bear, bird hunting you could ever do.

1/2 days drive to most anywhere in the state. within 3 hours of some of the best pheasant and upland bird hunting (Conrad area)and just over 3 hours to the CMR for some of the best deer hunting in the world.

I did live on the Hi-Line and loved it also, just a different way of life for sure.

Based on what you've said, I recomend anywhere along the Missouri or Yellowstone Rivers in the eastern half of the state. The town will need to be +4000 people for a decent hospital...which town doesn't matter they are all pretty much the same. The ones on the Interstate will have more amenities.

I personally like the Helena suggestion, but its a lot more people and the bird hunting is better in the east. Good luck, its and awesome state with great people...been trying to move back for over 16yrs.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-10 AT 08:27AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-10 AT 08:27?AM (MST)

The only thing with Helena is that the town was not set up for alot of people. And it is getting worse and worse. And there has to be a place for all these people to go when they are not at work or driving through town if you know what i mean. Go east and get away from all the people. Im all over the Thoeny idea.

Upland game? Billings, Great Falls or Helena. Bozeman sucks for upland game unless you're really into mountain grouse or know the rich people who don't let people hunt.

If you want fewer people pick a small town with a hospital for your wife. Miles City's awesome for upland game and waterfowl. Hardin, Lewistown (strong choice if you're driving around the state, you'll be smack in the middle) Havre, Glasgow for small towns far away from larger towns.

If it were me and I wanted away from "big" towns I'd take Lewistown as a first choice. East, West and North to more public land than you'll ever explore in your whole life. You're in the center of the state for your driving job.

I am with AL... Lewistown is the best palce in MT. It is in the center of the state and a short travel to hunt and or fish anywere in the state. Also short drive to take the wife shopping in the city.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

thats funny Scottyboy,,, those 3 spots are great choices as long as your a Penguin, or an Arctic seal.. Shelby is the most godforsaken winter Icebox I have ever experienced..

I'd go with Helena,, or Great falls,, just pick your neiborhood wisely in GF,, there's a few bad ones

Jeez, I love Shelby. Great Falls Is a great choice. Birds, deer, antelope and elk pretty close. Stay away from the Bitteroot. We are infested with liberals. Kinda sucks that a great area of Montana has been ruined. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom